Is our HB group historically bad?

Reaction score
We have two backs that are completely out of gas in Elliott and Cook. And two backs who have done next to nothing in the NFL. We are at a point where Rico Dowdle is our best hope to have an adequate every down back

Is it possible we have one of the worst HB groups of all time. I honestly cant remember a worse group anywhere
Yet it will be Prescott's fault if Dallas doesn't make it to the SB...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yet it will be Prescott's fault if Dallas doesn't make it to the SB...
It IS pretty humorous that some of the same people who have been telling us that any Tom, Dick and Harry should be plugged in at running back and the Cowboys would be fine are now advocating for finding a bona fide stud for the position. Openly lamenting the lack of a "bell cow" which they were just telling us not to long ago we didn't need.

Swanny

Reaction score
We have two backs that are completely out of gas in Elliott and Cook. And two backs who have done next to nothing in the NFL. We are at a point where Rico Dowdle is our best hope to have an adequate every down back

Is it possible we have one of the worst HB groups of all time. I honestly cant remember a worse group anywhere
I assume you are too young to remember the Troy Hambrick days?

I remember the Cowboys signed Adrian Murrell during the season and he was the starting RB 2 days later.

Mikexike

Reaction score

nope! 1 word. RICO

he will shine if given a chance.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I think this group is going to surprise some fans. Keep in mind, MM doesn't ask much from his RBs in the conventional concept of say 100+ yards per game from one player. He is more concerned with having the right player(s) on the field for protection and receiving and spreading the yards among several players. In other words, he will use 2-3-4 players to be your traditional 3-down RB.
Every NFL head coach that doesn’t have a dependable running back has that same philosophy. It’s not an “MM” thing. It’s a “what choice do I have” thing.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
You know Dak needs a good running game to be successful and you don't go out an get him a good RB. Sounds like all in to me.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not even close. I understand that our society is hyperbolic and anything other than the best is considered trash, but this statement is ridiculous.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He has never been considered one dimensional.
I am always fascinated when folks who only toted the rock in sandlot ball in 5th grade are so eager to assert what guys who have actually done it at a high level can and cannot do. Most of these people declaring what Zeke, Rico, Vaughan or whomever will be wouldn't know a sprint draw from a speed option from a 24 dive. They're just parroting. I will always stand on my assertion that the RB group will be just fine so long as the line isn't getting mauled. Runnin the ball is a skill you either have or you don't and only age, injury or just plain wear and tear can take it from you. The Cowboys have two one cut runners in Zeke and Rico. Both hit the hole hard and are tough to bring down. The biggest difference between them is Rico is quicker and Zeke is stronger. Both traits work if the line blocks. Neither of them is going to get TFL'd a lot because they will drag the first tackler with them for positive yards if the line does allow one guy to leak through. Vaughan is the change of pace speed back who the coaches will have to be creative in deploying. I think McCarthy can do that..

I also think Cook and Freeman will find a way onto the game day roster for a handful of games each. People need to accept that McCarthy aint no Chuck Knox disciple. This team will be 60% pass on offense unless they are just blowing somebody out. And in those games where they do blow the other team expect to see some house call runs from Rico and Deuce because the defense will have tapped out. Which will inevitably lead to the usual hue and cry about how they need to get all the carries and Zeke needs to be cut. But we all know what Ron White said about stupid...

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Possibly but excellent OL play could bail them out. The Cowboys are counting on a lot of things to fall their way for this run game to show improvement, but its certainly possible.
You still need some talented RBs to take advantage of the OL play. Ability to read and react and hit the holes that are there. Emmitt Smith's backups had the same OL and were a huge step down. Zeke and Cook are now old for NFL RBs and Zeke is definitely out of shape and out of gas.

These RBs on paper are terrible.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Before we call something the worst of all time, I think we ought to see them play in real games first.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I assume you are too young to remember the Troy Hambrick days?

I remember the Cowboys signed Adrian Murrell during the season and he was the starting RB 2 days later.
My gosh, those memories just came rushing back to me. Thanks a lot. ;)

Holy hell those were dark days.