Is Rock 'n Roll dead?

triplets_93

Reaction score
Rock on the terrestrial radio is dead to me.

98% of the over-played Classic Rock "Hits" don't do anything for me.

Going to see 70's bands on tour now is definitely not worth the money to me.
Even with inflation adjusted numbers, I saw these 70's bands in their prime for cheap. I'm certainly not going to over-pay now to see them. There's not enough alcohol to induce that for me. And, bty, when I was seeing the greatest bands in the prime in the 70's, no alcohol was needed for a good time. You get drunk to watch an average band, or a band playing crappy, to alter your senses so that you "feel" like you remember having a "good time." I don't need or want any part of that scene. Never did.

triplets_93

Reaction score
In my opinion, there is so much of crap out there that I can't spend the time it takes to weed it all out. I get some insights from friends who make recommendations or places like this but bottom line; the music industry followed the words of Neil Peart:
"One likes to believe in the freedom of music
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity, yeah".

I am not motivated to wade through acres of **** to maybe find a good song, much less a good band. I just don't have the patience or the inclination for that.
Why?? I grew up in the late 60's and the 70's, when some the greatest rock ever recorded and performed, was log hanging fruit. In fact, there was so much good low-hanging fruit, you couldn't get to it all. So yes, I was spoiled to have have grown up in such an environment. An old "dog" is not going to learn new "tricks." Ut's just so much easier, and so much more satisfying to mine YouTube for videos on stuff from the 70's from bands that I know were the best.

And I don't have the time nor the patience to "acquire" a taste for a new band. They either get me from the get-go, or it's a no-go.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
One of my favorite songs ever. I was discussing Rush with a friend recently and he called them "one of the best forms of birth control when we were young." Ouch...but yeah, I don't remember a lot of girls want to jam out to 2112 with me.

Haha, i knew a couple girls in high school that liked Rush. I do recall a fair number of females at Rush concerts i have attended, just not a lot. I turned my wife onto them{she is a new wave/alt rock, punk}fan and she loved Rush. Took her to the R40 tour and she said it was transcendent, best concert she has ever seen.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Haha, i knew a couple girls in high school that liked Rush. I do recall a fair number of females at Rush concerts i have attended, just not a lot. I turned my wife onto them{she is a new wave/alt rock, punk}fan and she loved Rush. Took her to the R40 tour and she said it was transcendent, best concert she has ever seen.
My wife can't stand Rush except for Tom Sawyer of course. Everyone seemed to like that song. I always make a point to turn it up when a Rush song comes on, just so I can see the eye roll. One of my co-workers referred to them as hobbit rock. I tried to get angry but that was pretty funny.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
My wife can't stand Rush except for Tom Sawyer of course. Everyone seemed to like that song. I always make a point to turn it up when a Rush song comes on, just so I can see the eye roll. One of my co-workers referred to them as hobbit rock. I tried to get angry but that was pretty funny.

lol@ Hobbit rock. Actually Zeppelin would kinda fit that. Plant was a huge LOTR fan.
Maybe Dungeons and Dragons rock? Especially for their early stuff.
And speaking of Tom Sawyer i dont really care for the song, they have so much other material that is so much better.

pete026

Reaction score
I am not motivated to wade through acres of **** to maybe find a good song, much less a good band. I just don't have the patience or the inclination for that.
Why?? I grew up in the late 60's and the 70's, when some the greatest rock ever recorded and performed, was log hanging fruit. In fact, there was so much good low-hanging fruit, you couldn't get to it all. So yes, I was spoiled to have have grown up in such an environment. An old "dog" is not going to learn new "tricks." Ut's just so much easier, and so much more satisfying to mine YouTube for videos on stuff from the 70's from bands that I know were the best.

And I don't have the time nor the patience to "acquire" a taste for a new band. They either get me from the get-go, or it's a no-go.
Can't really call it a regret but I am jealous. My musical tastes at a young age, having been influenced by my older brother, far surpassed my biological age. Funny to think of it at my present age but I missed out on the concerts of my favorites because I was too young. My parents would have had to have been hippies to have taken me to the concerts that matched my musical tastes at the time.

Thank god they filmed them.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Can't really call it a regret but I am jealous. My musical tastes at a young age, having been influenced by my older brother, far surpassed my biological age. Funny to think of it at my present age but I missed out on the concerts of my favorites because I was too young. My parents would have had to have been hippies to have taken me to the concerts that matched my musical tastes at the time.

Thank god they filmed them.

My parents were older when they had me, and so I got zero help or encouragement from them for anything pop music. There was no pop music being played by my parents in the house. I was the oldest child, so no older siblings to advise me. No aunts or uncles that knew anything about the pop music of the 60's. My 1st cousins were all older and would have only been into 50's stuff, so that was a no-go, when I, to begin with, started liking popular music with The Beatles. Everyone was talking about them. There has never been a "buzz" on the street like there was about the The Beatles in 1964.

My parents did like Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass, and that was fun to listen to. They also had some Al Hirt records. Their favorite music was Big Band, which I didn't take to as a kid. But, as an adult, I really have an appreciation for that.

pete026

Reaction score
My parents were older when they had me, and so I got zero help or encouragement from them for anything pop music. There was no pop music being played by my parents in the house. I was the oldest child, so no older siblings to advise me. No aunts or uncles that knew anything about the pop music of the 60's. My 1st cousins were all older and would have only been into 50's stuff, so that was a no-go, when I, to begin with, started liking popular music with The Beatles. Everyone was talking about them. There has never been a "buzz" on the street like there was about the The Beatles in 1964.

My parents did like Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass, and that was fun to listen to. They also had some Al Hirt records. Their favorite music was Big Band, which I didn't take to as a kid. But, as an adult, I really have an appreciation for that.
My Dad is an engineer and built a pretty decent tube amplifier for our stereo. I remember their albums; one being Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass Greatest Hits lol. They also played Glen Campbell, Peter Paul & Mary. I still remember the first few songs:

I have super 8 movies of my older brother and sister lip-sync playing Beatles songs.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Seems like most people also like "Closer To The Heart" and "Red Barchetta" also

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Newish bands i listen to, maybe not so new, but if it's released after the year 2000 i consider it newish.

The Airborne Toxic Event
The Lumineers
Houndmouth
Greta Van Fleet
Of Monsters and Men
St Paul and the Broken Bones

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I consider Rock and Roll like Impressionism Art. It will never die but it will be next to impossible to top a van Gogh, Gauguin, Monet, Cezanne, Renoir, etc. We will always compare the present artists to the greats like van Gogh and they will pale in comparison. Same with rock music when we compare to The Beatles, Stones, Eagles, Zep, Who, etc.

The bar is just so high. Hard to beat 1950-1980 rock.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I'm old and have always been a huge rock 'n roll fan. I know there's a bunch of dudes like myself on here so is there any hope? Maybe nostalgic kids'? Give me some recent songs! The best I can come up with is Shinedown and Avenged Sevenfold in the last 10 years.
I'm not a dude, but a dudette lol. Sadly, the great bands of the past are long gone.