News: It is official! Zeke suspended 6 games **merged**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zman5

Reaction score
I am not trying the case, I'm accepting the results. Your points of defense of Zeke were brought up by him and his legal team. They had a fair and full hearing.

He beat her up at least twice. That is the conclusion of ALL of the evidence.

That's what NFL has concluded. That doesn't mean he beat her up at least twice. NFL, for a long time, also said there were no issues with concussions.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I am not saying this is your viewpoint, but I liken the NFL to the NCAA. This is not a court of law, it is an organization that the members of said organization have given control and power to sit in judgement of the members and mete out 'justice' however they see fit. It is almost never uniform and each incident that seems similar can have a very different punishment.
The NCAA is a joke too.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
There was proof of abuse of the Giants kicker last year and he got one game....so where does the six games come from?
This. The statement released by the NFL only states the supposed domestic abuse. Nothing else.

Why is it 6 games when Josh Brown got one?

That's what has me the most perplexed. If the statement had mentioned other detrimental occurrences involving Zeke, then it would be easier for me to wrap my head around this.

Ah yes. Mara. Answered my own question.

Incredible. Truly can't wrap my head around this specific part of this whole deal.

Brown, DV, 1 game. Elliot, DV (as per statement, I know it's a different type of suspension, Conduct), 6 games.

Seems like they wanted the Conduct suspension for the 6 games? Why did Brown get 1? Why? Anyone?

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
The DA believed the woman, but didn't pursue for whatever reason because of the evidence. That is telling.

The NFL is like a civil court, only less stringent than even that. They don't need hard evidence to rule. DV, by league rule, is automatic 6 games.

Not saying I agree, but that's the nut of it.
He cited her inconsistency as a reason for not pursuing the case. Still searching for that evidence you found decisive.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Read the letter the NFL sent him.

It's still vague.

I’m not making my judgment, yet.

The entire story that we’ve heard from the media so far will change numerous times as we go down this road.

Apparently, Thompson’s friend stated that Thompson did ask her to lie to the police. Thompson’s friend said she was also there when she got into fight with some random woman at a bar. However, Thompson’s friend also stated that she saw bruises on Thompson prior to that fight and that Thompson told her it was from EE.

What’s also being reported is that Thompson released pictures of her bruises.

It’s being reported that EE told the NFL that he didn’t date or live with Thompson, but had a sexual relationship with her and paid for her things. The NFL has stated that they used various medical experts in reviewing this case. The Columbus Ohio DA has stated that he believes violence occurred, but he doesn’t elaborate on the violence. Perhaps that is because he may be afraid of being sued by EE. But, perhaps that also means that the DA thinks that Thompson may have instigated the violence and EE may have defended himself and he just doesn’t know what exactly went on.

Based on the reporting so far, I think the following happened:

1. The league called the Columbus DA and he told them that based on the evidence he believed that there was some sort of violence that happened on the week of July 16 from EE.

2. The league was able to get the photos of Thompson’s bruises and the medical experts believed that the photos were consistent with abuse from a male attack.

3. The league probably disregarded Thompson’s friends statement that she asked her to lie about the abuse where she got pulled out of a car because Thompson never told police that she was pulled out of a car by EE.

4. The league did not like the statement EE made stating that he never dated nor lived with Thompson. They probably found that contradictory.

This however leads us down other questions:

1. Thompson is reportedly a stripper. Yes, strippers can be victims of abuse. But, I would question her character and her criminal background since strippers tend to have sketchier backgrounds and criminal pasts.

2. Just because Thompson didn’t tell police she was pulled out of a car doesn’t mean that she didn’t ask her friend to lie about it. Thompson may have thought about making up the lie to police and went to her friend and then decided to not use the lie. Thompson may have asked her friend to lie to police and then wait for her friend to tell the lie and then Thompson would back that up as well.

Also, her friend stated that she saw bruises prior to Thompson’s fight with another female and that Thompson told her those bruises were from EE. I can understand not believing her friend if she stated nothing to support Thompson’s accusation. But, her friend DID support one of Thompson’s accusations. Furthermore, with there being other witnesses for EE and given Thompson’s possible shady character, I tend to take her friend’s statement as being more credible.

3. Dating and living with somebody can be misconstrued. One may have a sexual relationship and not be dating. And one may live with a person for a week here and there and not be ‘living together.’

YR

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
6 games for Zeke, compared to 1 game for the Giants kicker Josh Brown, when he ADMITTED to beating his wife, just reinforces my belief that the Giants get the most bias treatment in the NFL.

bodi

Reaction score
Ezekiel Elliott suspension would be the beginning, not the end

Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2017, 11:48 AM EDT

Getty Images

It’s taken more than a year to get to the point where the NFL has an Ezekiel Elliott suspension locked and loaded. But the announcement, which could come at any moment, would in many ways not be the end but the beginning.

The letter communicating the suspension will explain Elliott’s appeal rights. He’ll have three business days to commence the process. If/when (when) he does, Commissioner Roger Goodell will have the ability to preside over the appeal personally, or to designate someone else to handle it.

Typically, the Commissioner personally handles one decision or the other, but not both. With Tom Brady‘s suspension, Goodell delegated the initial decision to Troy Vincent, and Goodell handled the appeal. With Greg Hardy’s suspension, Goodell issued the suspension and delegated the appeal to Harold Henderson (who reduced the suspension). With Ray Rice, Goodell issued the initial decision to suspend Rice indefinitely after the elevator video surfaced, and Goodell assigned the appeal to a truly independent arbitrator — whose decision to scrap the suspension means that Goodell likely won’t be doing that again.

After the appeal is finalized, Elliott will have the right to seek judicial intervention. Even if he eventually loses (and he likely would lose), he could potentially delay the suspension by obtaining a preliminary injunction blocking the suspension until the case is resolved. Brady did that two years ago. Several years before that, former Vikings defensive tackles Kevin and Pat Williams delayed a suspension in the Starcaps case for multiple seasons. (By the time the case ended, Pat Williams had retired.)

The NFL also could choose to do what it did in the Brady case — filing a lawsuit that seeks a declaration that the suspension is valid in a favorable forum before Elliott can file in a place where he’d be more likely to win. Two years ago, the league immediately filed suit in federal court in Manhattan after denying Brady’s appeal.

Although the league lost at the first level, the win in the appeals court makes the Southern District of New York an even more attractive option.

Bottom line — there’s still a chance that Elliott will possibly play all of the 2017 season, even if his internal appeal is resolved before Week One.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...uspension-would-be-the-beginning-not-the-end/

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Good point that will get lost on a lot of people. In many occupations, it doesn't matter if you've been arrested or the police didn't press charges. My job has a personal conduct policy that can be enforced even if I wasn't arrested. The NFL is no different.

But if you apply the policy randomly or unfairly then you open yourself to losing a legal suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.