It was all visible a mile away

zerofill

Reaction score
Well... they didn't say exactly what they were all-in on before the season started. :flagwave:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's more than DT and RB.

To be the best one has to beat the best. For an example, Let's just compare rosters to the Niners.

Quartebacks......I'll leave that one alone because it will trigger to many here and miss the true message.

Rb corp....not close, advantage niners
WR corp....not close, advantage niners
Offensive line.....potentially gaining back ground but still Niners
TE corp....advantage Niners

LB corp....Niners by a mile
DTs.....Big advantage Niners
Secondary.......when healthy, slight advantage Cowboys

Coaching......advantage Niners

I could compare our roster to the Eagles and Lions and we would still be at a disadvantage overall.

The FO is under the delusion that this roster was good enough, "AS IS" so they made our QB the highest paid player in the HISTORY of the NFL assuming he would make up for deficiencies.

As the professor in " the waterboy" movie said, " Mommas wrong again"

But in this case, Colonel Sanders would be right
So true.
One of the problems with having a father and son with lifetime contracts as Front office leaders is they are completely surrounded by sycophants and yes men who either tell them everything is great or they only listen to each other.

Again, most football people saw the problems with this roster during the offseason and this FO continues to believe “running it back” with most of the same key players and coaches is smart. With a team that got blown out at home last January.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Did I say it bothered me? I'm stating a fact.....apparently, you're the one that is bothered.
This game depends straight up, upon Lawrence, Parsons, and Hendricks. Then on the back of Prescott.

75boyz

Reaction score
I totally agree. Taking off the rose colored glasses and looking at the roster I just cannot see how this team improved, and why our expectations would be for another winning season. I have to believe the Cowboys front office knew this would be a down year given the inactivity re-signing their own players, and signing the scraps we picked up from the junk heap. If Jerry Jones really believes the Cowboys can be competitive with 1 star WR, no star RB, an overpaid QB, and basically Micah Parsons on defense then we are in for some rough years as fans.
That looks exactly like what he believes.

kskboys

Reaction score
They drafted one in the 1st round just recently McFly. He just hasn’t panned out.
Yup. Bad pick, and no hindsight, I thought so at the time.

Drafting 1 DT is not filling the position.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Very insightful post.
...the rethread posts that do nothing, but provide a platform for more division get tiresome to me. I know that's not what Bob intends, he puts great effort into his posts....unfortunately, many threads, as of late, end up taking a negative turn. I don't remember it being that way, up until recently....

ArtClink

Reaction score
...the rethread posts that do nothing, but provide a platform for more division get tiresome to me. I know that's not what Bob intends, he puts great effort into his posts....unfortunately, many threads, as of late, end up taking a negative turn. I don't remember it being that way, up until recently....
Truth does not divide.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You mean Mazi? Overdrafted. It's like they didn't even bother to read and assess his scouting report before they drafted him. Still can't figure out why several thought he was 1st round talent.
He wasn't. No one taken at the end of the first round is. There is never 32 players with first round grades in any draft.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
This off-season, it was certainly obvious even to the average fan (and more importantly football experts) that the Cowboys needed major help at several positions including C, LT, LB, but most glaringly at DT and RB. It was visible a mile away. What did our FO do to address these positions?
  • Drafted Tyler Guyton and Cooper Beebe to shore up OL needs. (Both appear to have major upside)
  • Drafted DE Marshawn Kneeland who has good upside as an edge run stopper, and has flashed some good potential.
  • Drafted LB Marist Liafau who also shown potential.
  • Drafted CB Caelen Carson who also has flashed lots of upside.
  • Drafted WR Ryan Flournoy in round 6. Has made the team but hasn’t played yet.
  • Drafted two 7th rounders - a long shot T Nathan Thomas (on IR) and DT Justin Rogers who was cut.
The penny pinching Cowboys Free agency moves to address needs: Signed retread RB Royce Freeman, now on his 5th team in 6 years, a slow and washed up Zeke Elliott, and eventually signed DT Linvall Joseph from his retirement couch. Then in August traded for DT Jordan Phillips who has just been placed on IR for a wrist injury Phillips says is “fine”. Ouuuuuch!

After two games this season, the two positions that scream “help needed immediately“ are DT and RB. Just like they were back in March when the off-season started.

In the Cowboys last 16 games (including last year’s playoff loss to GB) we have literally been blown out by teams that were physical and could run the ball and we could not run the ball against them. We lost to SF 42-10, Buffalo 31-10, GB 48-32, and to NO 44-19. In each of those blowout losses, it was obvious we can’t stop the run, nor run the ball.

Heading into game 3, I don’t know what this organization can do to fix these huge holes at DT and RB except try to make a trade or get lucky finding a player in the trash heap. Both are long shots. And I go back to March when options were available especially in the draft. It was visible a mile away.
Good writeup Bob. Thanks for your work.

I think one of the main problems is our missmanagement of the salary cap in the last 4-5 years (since MM arrived). We essentially have no money to sign better FAs.

Then another roblem is imo - opposed to the genereal opinion - that the better players with real ambiotions to win something meaningfull are not willing to sign with us anymore.
Back in the 90s or the early 2000 years that was the case. But after decades of missmangement we lost that standing. We attract has been players and coaches that want to sign a last contract before they retire.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Would you have posted this after the Browns game?

4.0 YPC and everyone thought we were watching the next version of Doomsday.

I don't disagree with your OP. In fact I think it's spot on. Just interesting timing.
Browns game provided a false hope with them missing starting offensive lineman and running back.
Along with they're overrated quarterback.
Made us look a lot better than we really are

Blackrain

Reaction score
...the rethread posts that do nothing, but provide a platform for more division get tiresome to me. I know that's not what Bob intends, he puts great effort into his posts....unfortunately, many threads, as of late, end up taking a negative turn. I don't remember it being that way, up until recently...
When we deal with the same problems year in and year out that are never fixed it's hard for things not to take a negative turn.