It's time for Jerry's son to open up the books and spend money in fa!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry can make promises about going "all in" indefinitely, but until the endless talent he promises show up at the door, it's merely a sales pitch!

I, along with countless members here, would just love nothing better than to believe all these promises but until they appear, nothing is proven!

Last edited:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I want Charlotte... :cool:
carlott-2.jpg
you can have carl-lott

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Jerry claims that the team is "All In" this season, that they will be making moves for the now and less about the future. They cannot go into another season with just another draft class and aspect better results. They have real weakness within this roster that have to be upgraded. Stephen's strategy of draft/develop, sign low level stop gap veterans isn't working. Time to open up the books as they can easily create 20-30 million to spend on the open market. Some areas to address in fa:

-Defensive Tackle/Middle Linebacker/Running Back

In the draft you could double up at all these positions and still address OL.
with their cap situation ,extending dak, signing lamb , I dont think they will have much cap left , so bargain bin again lol

CWR

Reaction score
A billion dollars in merchandising and the Joneses are too cheap to pay for free agents. Then have the nerve to blame the players.
There's plenty of room to blame guys posting victory parties before the game though. Plenty of room to blame coaches as well. That said, get the freaking players we so obviously need!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
with their cap situation ,extending dak, signing lamb , I dont think they will have much cap left , so bargain bin again lol
Extending Dak, resigning Lamb actually opens up space for next season. Also, players like Diggs/Steele, already have restructures built into their contracts.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Some don't/won't understand cap maneuver - maybe they look at a Spotrac link and think it will always be dead set in stone.

Contract extensions can create new space, .. the NFL team cap goes up every year ... and current contracts can be
re-did to make room for more cap space.
Exactly, Cowboys and other teams for that matter have the ability to create more cap space, they just chose not to do so to maintain cap flexibility.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If you extend Dak, you have cap money to sign FA's but you probably won't win because you have Dak. If you don't extend Dak you probably won't win because you can't bring in any FA's...but only for a year instead of several.

I beg the FO to not extend Dak.
No chance they keep Dak's cap number at 60 million this offseason.

blueblood70

Reaction score
A billion dollars in merchandising and the Joneses are too cheap to pay for free agents. Then have the nerve to blame the players.
You know as much as I wanna agree they need to do more in the offseason and have a better draft this year than last year you gotta stop with the nonsense about how much they're worth yes it's a $10 billion team that has the exact same salary cap as the other 31 teams it don't matter how much money the franchise makes they're only allowed to spend X amount of dollars and they have to do it without reckless abandoned sometimes because like this year they're already gonna have to massage the cap to a point where they have to maneuver a lot of money around just to find a way to spend some money in free agency so your expectations are wrong because all teams are on the same restrictive roster and salary cap limits..

This isn't Major League Baseball or other leagues where you could be reckless and spend as much money as you want regardless of results IE the dodgers and Yankees of late some other teams that spend ridiculous amounts of money and then don't win a championship...

I mean I get the frustration we want some splash impact players but please don't use the billion dollar thing you do realize that Jerry's not the richest owner in the league even though his team's worth probably the most they still work with the same salary cap it doesn't matter if he was a $1 billion team or a $10 billion team they all have to spend a certain percentage of their salary cap and by the end of the year they have spent all of it people say well they had money leftover no they didn't how is that even possible if right now as we speak they're like $20 million over the cap...

So as much as I am in hopes that they do a little bit more this year I hope they're all in they're gonna be more risk taking and trades and especially trades to move up and move around the draft to get quality players versus volume I think it doesn't matter if we come away with three to four really good players this offseason not to fill holes day one impact players that should be the goal and that would satisfy me because last year's draft while I understand why they did it they can't do that this year they need to have a list of the top players they want and they need to go after them no matter what even if you have to sacrifice most of this year's draft and some of the future drafts that's where they're gonna make most of their all in type deals is gonna be in trades or trades within the draft...

As much as fan the fan base wants to make these big weak one impacts in free agency that's not always a recipe for success and right now the Jones family does not have a ton of money for free agents I'm sure they're gonna find some like I said it would be nice if we get one great player in free agency... For me that's probably a linebacker or a center...​

baltcowboy

Reaction score
His contract alone, could create 20 million if not more.
I heard one of local talking heads say Dak extension plus Martin/Diggs restructures gets the Cowboys 60 million. That does not count releasing Gallup and CeeDee extension. Basically we would be able to get the defensive linemen, linebackers, and center we need before the draft.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
When was the last time GM Jerry made a quality big time free agency signing?
He knows if he offers the free agent the best financial deal he’ll get the player. Peculiar to the Cowboys organization is the person who evaluates the free agent is the guy who decides if it’s a good idea to sign the free agent. How many people in the Cowboys organization are part of the decision process in deference to free agents. I doubt the new ownership group of the Commanders believes they can properly access a player’s talent. I’m sure they know if they want a free agent they’ll have to outbid the others that want him. And Jerry does, too. I suspect Jerry is just a poor judge of talent. He didn’t sign anyone he did not believe would make the Cowboys better.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
He knows if he offers the free agent the best financial deal he’ll get the player. Peculiar to the Cowboys organization is the person who evaluates the free agent is the guy who decides if it’s a good idea to sign the free agent. How many people in the Cowboys organization are part of the decision process in deference to free agents. I doubt the new ownership group of the Commanders believes they can properly access a player’s talent. I’m sure they know if they want a free agent they’ll have to outbid the others that want him. And Jerry does, too. I suspect Jerry is just a poor judge of talent. He didn’t sign anyone he did not believe would make the Cowboys better.
Jerry is not evaluating and signing free agents. He might have to give the final stamp of approval on things but he's not up late at night watching film and making notes about players on other teams.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Jerry claims that the team is "All In" this season, that they will be making moves for the now and less about the future. They cannot go into another season with just another draft class and aspect better results. They have real weakness within this roster that have to be upgraded. Stephen's strategy of draft/develop, sign low level stop gap veterans isn't working. Time to open up the books as they can easily create 20-30 million to spend on the open market. Some areas to address in fa:

-Defensive Tackle/Middle Linebacker/Running Back

In the draft you could double up at all these positions and still address OL.
you can't build a team through FA. there isn't enough money. no team does it. you need to sign a couple of Key FAs that you failed to fill through draft. it doesn't work.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
The Cap is a Myth. All the owners have a Platinum American Express card for the Cap. No limit. Haven't you heard?
Someone needs to remind JJ of this PAE card that's available to him to acquire the needed FAs to plug holes in his D-Line because he seems to have forgotten that it's sitting in his draw next to his bed...............

FVSTONE

Reaction score
They can make space, but they need to get Daks deal done in order to do so. That aside, I have no expectations of an actual "all in" approach.

Jerry isn't letting go of Dak.
If JJ sits pat with Prescot, he goes to his grave with "3" SB trophies that Jimmy Johnson is mainly responsible for.......LOL!!!!!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
you can't build a team through FA. there isn't enough money. no team does it. you need to sign a couple of Key FAs that you failed to fill through draft. it doesn't work.
That's exactly my point, problem is they haven't use fa to fix holes where the draft has come up short. Not saying building through fa at all, more about using it, but not ignoring it like Stephen has for years.

kwcool619

Reaction score
Was in Vegas this past weekend for the Super Bowl. Met two guys at the craps table. They were there with Jerry’s attorney. They’re semi connected to the team. Long long story short - they told me Jerry runs the team 1000%. Stephen doesn’t make the cheap decisions around here in FA that many of us believe, myself included. Just saying this bc of the thread title. They both said the team will be in far better hands when Stephen takes over after Jerry passes. Which I argued vehemently against but they were steadfast about it.
Did those same people give specifics or examples of how Stephen will be better?