Jags WR Zay Jones Released

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We don't need another Jones. That's what's wrong with this team in the first place.

conner01

Reaction score
Was making 8 million a year and this was the final year.
Missed half the season last year.
Drafted Brian Thomas
Will probably sign Jarvis Landry - who is in their mini camp.
Too expensive. Wasn’t great and they had better option. In 2022 he had 13 dropped passes so he got few targets last year. Has some talent and didn’t seem to have a drop problem so much but that one year. Could be a nice 3rd or 4th option with experince

Rayman70

Reaction score
This is the same guy who torched Anthony Brown on Thanksgiving a couple seasons ago. Drew some big PI penalties downfield.
He also had a good game in the OT loss to Jax 2 seasons ago. Maybe he just gets up for Dallas since his father is a former Cowboy.
Was at that Raider game. It was awful. The refs were very bad too btw. It was a poorly officiated game. All Carr was doing was heaving the ball wherever AB was lined up and it would draw a PI every time. At one point Carr was on the big screen being shown laughing. They knew AB was terrible and Zay lit us up.

conner01

Reaction score
I was talking about Landry. I think Zay is a good number 3….id rather see Tolbert.
Tolbert will get his shot but jones might be solid depth and has experience. At the right price I’d give him a one year prove it type deal. Nothing motivates a guy likk k e a chance to make money. That’s why so many guys best year is there contract year

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Tolbert will get his shot but jones might be solid depth and has experience. At the right price I’d give him a one year prove it type deal. Nothing motivates a guy likk k e a chance to make money. That’s why so many guys best year is there contract year
I have no issue with him I just don’t feel like he improves our unit. I have Cooks. I need someone better than Cooks. Ideally I’d want Cooks to be my third best receiver.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Nah, Cook and Tolbert are still better than Zay Jones....he really didnt do much in Jacksonville....a true JAG.....34/321 and 2 TD's. I think Tolbert is better
I find it amusing that fans do this everyone who's cut is better than somebody we have on a team, even though they can't even make training camp on somebody else's roster...hmm

I mean literally I can't believe he said that he thinks he's going to be better than cooks ,no that's not true at all... I mean everyone got on cooks for not getting 1000 yards as the backup guy went all the targets pretty much went to CD Lamb, so I don't care who you're a #2 , he's gonna have to sit behind a true number one he's going to get fed all game every game and then you have your tight end and you have your run game and then they could swing back around and get balls to Cooks, so who's our #3 doesn't even matter IMHO

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I'd say reliability.....I trust Lamb. I don't trust anyone else in that group.
Cooks has been Mr Reliable since entering the league. Last year would be considered a down year for him and he still went for 657 and 8 TDs. More importantly, QB1 went from leading the NFL in interceptions to #2 in the MVP race after he showed up. At this point, Tolbert for Gallup looks like a wash. Brooks looked decent early last year and maybe the rookie brings something different to the table.

I don't love the WR room outside of the top 2, but they're easily in the top half of the league, most likely top 10.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Depth is an issue, but we have arguably the best WR in the league, a strong #2, and an ok #3, combined with a potentially really good TE. The offense has its problems, but pass catchers isn't one of them.
I agree it's being exaggerated how we're weak in the past game it just looks like that because most of our targets went to one guy last year I'm pretty sure it'll be a little more to the number 2 and #3 but there's only so many balls to go around and people around here worried about who the number three is you never know it could be this undrafted free agent from Missouri can beat out tobert but you're right it don't matter because there are not enough snaps to go around especially when you have CD lamb have 137 catches plus how many targets did he get where you ran behind the line of scrimmage I mean they truly went to a triplet type offense last year and they weren't worried about who was behind any of the number ones... That is not Cook's problem they got a slate start they didn't target him a lot but when he was called upon he produced and I'm not getting rid of a guy like that for one guy he wasn't even valued enough to keep through training camp literally cut a man that was on your team before you even get to practices and training camps that's all I need to know he may be a solid player for somebody but I don't want a guy here that's not gonna be clearly an upgrade....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Tied with 9 other players for 4th in the redzone. Not bad for a guy that only got 9 redzone targets
I just told you what it was he was 3rd from within 20 and first from within the 10. Now you initially said you can’t do anything here unless you are a number one and a tight end. Now you want to discredit scoring touchdowns? For what?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Cooks has been Mr Reliable since entering the league. Last year would be considered a down year for him and he still went for 657 and 8 TDs. More importantly, QB1 went from leading the NFL in interceptions to #2 in the MVP race after he showed up. At this point, Tolbert for Gallup looks like a wash. Brooks looked decent early last year and maybe the rookie brings something different to the table.

I don't love the WR room outside of the top 2, but they're easily in the top half of the league, most likely top 10.
I agree again there's options on this team and really doesn't matter once you get past the main targets because there's only so many to go around and I think cooks when called upon did his job so if they need him to catch more maybe only CD Lam say he only gets like a 100 receptions this year that other 37 will go to cooks or at least a lot of them.... I hope this kid from Missouri steps up he looks like a really tough runner and kind of miles Austin type or a poor man's Dez Bryant but I think he can actually replace Gallup because he looks like a gallup clone, preinjury,

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Naw I can’t say top 10….unless Tolbert hits potential.

Cooks is reliable but on the other side of 30…I just need another reliable target.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I just told you what it was he was 3rd from within 20 and first from within the 10. Now you initially said you can’t do anything here unless you are a number one and a tight end. Now you want to discredit scoring touchdowns? For what?
I agree that's why people were dismissing a secure Elliott 12 touchdowns a year before saying he stole those all from Pollard and then what happens when zeke leaves Pollard still couldn't score so don't dismiss 12 touchdowns from your running back when all your other running backs together barely got 12 last year I don't even know what the number is I bet it's pretty ugly... That's when I separate the all time players at certain positions debate like wide receivers you gotta put the guys who have equal numbers except for a lot more touchdowns I'm taking the guy who scored more...

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm not discrediting him, I'm actually pointing out that he did a lot with a little. I'm only saying your numbers are wrong, and that you won't get many opportunities outside of the #1 and TE.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm not discrediting him, I'm actually pointing out that he did a lot with a little. I'm only saying your numbers are wrong, and that you won't get many opportunities outside of the #1 and TE.
I think as the season went on Cooks had a bunch of opportunities but fair enough.