Jags WR Zay Jones Released

MikeT22

Reaction score
We have CD, Cooks, Tolbert, and Turpin. Horrible.
Lost Gallup and added 6th rounder Flournoy.

But I hear the improvement will come from everyone already on the team stepping up and making leaps.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Too expensive. Wasn’t great and they had better option. In 2022 he had 13 dropped passes so he got few targets last year. Has some talent and didn’t seem to have a drop problem so much but that one year. Could be a nice 3rd or 4th option with experince
exactly if this guy wants to come in for the veteran minimum earn a place onto this roster that's great but if he's looking to get paid there's a reason his own team cut him...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Naw I can’t say top 10….unless Tolbert hits potential.

Cooks is reliable but on the other side of 30…I just need another reliable target.
All that may be true but when a guy has a down year and he's injured he gets cut from his own team he's going to have to set his ego aside be humble if he wants to come on a one year prove it deal and then get repaid that's the type of opportunity I would be OK with bring, a guy on that's willing to earn his money versus take a big paycheck and then be a disappointment.

starfan1

Reaction score
This is the same guy who torched Anthony Brown on Thanksgiving a couple seasons ago. Drew some big PI penalties downfield.
He also had a good game in the OT loss to Jax 2 seasons ago. Maybe he just gets up for Dallas since his father is a former Cowboy.
man you tee'ed it real nice there but Ill let it go. :laugh:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think they drafted Brian Thomas Jr WR. Thats why I believe
According to Albert Breer, many teams downgraded on medical risk. The word is he may need shoulder surgery by the end of his rookie year.

• Sometimes you hear stuff leading up to the draft that winds up coming true on Thursday night—and such was the case with the Jacksonville Jaguars, who did a ton of work on the receivers over the past two months. It matches, too, with how far they were willing to go to keep Calvin Ridley, even with contracts for Christian Kirk and Gabe Davis on the ledger. So they’re committed to improving the skill-position talent around Trevor Lawrence. Now they just have to hope Brian Thomas Jr.’s shoulder holds up (most teams thought he’d need surgery after his rookie year).

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Naw I can’t say top 10….unless Tolbert hits potential.

Cooks is reliable but on the other side of 30…I just need another reliable target.
How many targets does this offense need? Tolbert may never hit his potential, but he showed he at least belongs in the league last year. Ferg looked unstoppable at times and will only get better. They spent a 2 on an athletic TE last year. They need to find out if he can play.. As Blue blood stated, Lamb is going to take the lion's share of targets, as he did last season. There are only so many pieces of pie to go around. Who would you suggest bringing in, or would you rather have used more premium picks, knowing there were far more pressing needs?

Lamb/Cooks as 1/2 is about as good as you'll find, and there's some nice talent that's poised to step up in 24. They aren't the most talented WR room in the league, but they are good enough to win games. Getting the running game going to relieve some pressure is another story all together. The offense may fail, but it won't be because the pass catchers weren't good enough.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How many targets does this offense need? Tolbert may never hit his potential, but he showed he at least belongs in the league last year. Ferg looked unstoppable at times and will only get better. They spent a 2 on an athletic TE last year. They need to find out if he can play.. As Blue blood stated, Lamb is going to take the lion's share of targets, as he did last season. There are only so many pieces of pie to go around. Who would you suggest bringing in, or would you rather have used more premium picks, knowing there were far more pressing needs?

Lamb/Cooks as 1/2 is about as good as you'll find, and there's some nice talent that's poised to step up in 24. They aren't the most talented WR room in the league, but they are good enough to win games. Getting the running game going to relieve some pressure is another story all together. The offense may fail, but it won't be because the pass catchers weren't good enough.
I just look at what the rest of these contenders have….Chase and Higgins, AJ and Smith, Tyreek and Chase….

blueblood70

Reaction score
I just look at what the rest of these contenders have….Chase and Higgins, AJ and Smith, Tyreek and Chase….
And you do realize a lot of those dudes aren't happy and they're asking for trades they don't want to be #2 when they have the talent there's a lot of being disgruntled throughout the season with the sideline antics Higgins has asked for a treat and so has their number 3.. Besides I don't think it's tyreke and chase I thought it was waddle... Hell even Denver had a nice grouping and so did Seattle but I'm still wondering where these teams went in the playoffs with all this depth at wide receiver.... I mean didn't Buffalo just get rid of their best wide receiver? I mean what big names did the Green Bay Packers roll out there after they got rid of devante Adams I mean why did Hopkins get cut from his team? There are very few teams that are two to three deep at wide receiver but most of them I'm still trying to look around to the ones that are making the Super bowls it's like this whole argument with the premium running back I'm not seeing them play in the Super bowls...

I get it, would be nice to have but usually when you end up having those young guys who want to be a number one that it becomes a problem just right now what's going on with San Francisco they're trying to move Brandon Ayuk because they're not going to be able to pay him and keep everyone else.. you got to have a true number one, we have that you have to have a solid #2 ,that's what we have ,outside of that it doesn't really matter, there's not enough targets to go around..

I mean it is a nice problem to have when you have two or three deep at wide receiver, but Miami didn't win the Super bowl last year?? I mean did they make the championship game or the Super bowl. I don't remember I mean all these people with these great run games and all this depth that wide receiver they're taking a big bow to the Kansas City Chiefs who don't have any of that...LOL

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And you do realize a lot of those dudes aren't happy and they're asking for trades they don't want to be #2 when they have the talent there's a lot of being disgruntled throughout the season with the sideline antics Higgins has asked for a treat and so has their number 3.. Besides I don't think it's tyreke and chase I thought it was waddle... Hell even Denver had a nice grouping and so did Seattle but I'm still wondering where these teams went in the playoffs with all this depth at wide receiver.... I mean didn't Buffalo just get rid of their best wide receiver? I mean what big names did the Green Bay Packers roll out there after they got rid of devante Adams I mean why did Hopkins get cut from his team? There are very few teams that are two to three deep at wide receiver but most of them I'm still trying to look around to the ones that are making the Super bowls it's like this whole argument with the premium running back I'm not seeing them play in the Super bowls...

I get it, would be nice to have but usually when you end up having those young guys who want to be a number one that it becomes a problem just right now what's going on with San Francisco they're trying to move Brandon Ayuk because they're not going to be able to pay him and keep everyone else.. you got to have a true number one, we have that you have to have a solid #2 ,that's what we have ,outside of that it doesn't really matter, there's not enough targets to go around..

I mean it is a nice problem to have when you have two or three deep at wide receiver, but Miami didn't win the Super bowl last year?? I mean did they make the championship game or the Super bowl. I don't remember I mean all these people with these great run games and all this depth that wide receiver they're taking a big bow to the Kansas City Chiefs who don't have any of that...LOL
They’re asking for trades because they want to get paid.

kumizi

Reaction score
Nah, Cook and Tolbert are still better than Zay Jones....he really didnt do much in Jacksonville....a true JAG.....34/321 and 2 TD's. I think Tolbert is better
Tolbert isn’t even a JAG. Or at least he hasn’t shown it so far. Maybe he’ll take a big step forward this year.

Our WR corps is extremely thin.

blueblood70

Reaction score
They’re asking for trades because they want to get paid.
Yes but I'm just saying the only way you're getting paid is if you're the number one most of these teams are not paying both that's why I was a little shocked when A.J. Brown got his new deal in my opinion it's probably going to be a mistake, I mean it's the same two players that collapsed last year down the stretch where were these two guys...

I'm pretty sure cooks had more touchdowns and wasn't that far off if he got more targets of being devonte Smith production I mean for his age and what we asked him to do you're really underrating what our total offense did last year look at all the passing yardage and the touchdowns from the past game and go ahead and rank us go put our total group together and I could put it up against a lot of teams.. I mean when you're a quarterback has a career year almost got the MVP second team all pro somehow we're doing pretty good with the talent around him or he wouldn't be there according to this place he's just a Jag anyway...lol

montgod

Reaction score
Zay Jones is no JAG, but he has been a headache. You don't want to pay for a headache.
Yup, 8 games missed for injury as well as a domestic battery charge didn't help. Maybe he's passed all that since he did have a great year the year before but should definitely be looked into if he's a consideration.

conner01

Reaction score
exactly if this guy wants to come in for the veteran minimum earn a place onto this roster that's great but if he's looking to get paid there's a reason his own team cut him...
I think money was likely main factor. But I also think they soured on him after 2022 and all the drops. He didn’t get near the targets in 2023 as before. A prove it deal could benefit both sides

shabazz

Reaction score
If he would be our 2nd best receiver then we have bigger issues and he ain't gonna fix them. He's not good enough to crack the Jags but he's our #2? Yeah that spells failure.
Let's stop with the East Carolina university hatred here.