Jarvis Landry gets a 5 year deal

RamziD

Reaction score
Teams with a ton of cap space will overpay for young receivers who have been productive or have a lot of potential. If they don't work out, then they'll cut them 2 years into their contract. I doubt Dez would get that type of money after 3 years of declining production, injuries, and pushing 30.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm pretty confident they're going to suggest he take a cut to 7 or 8 mil to be more in line with where he is today with regard to twilight performance. Perhaps some performance incentives might come along as well... I said this exactly same thing several weeks ago and was lambasted for even making the suggestion.

That said, watch it happen tomorrow. He either takes it or he exits stage left to go get paid his "fair market value" elsewhere. Won't miss him...

PS... No one cares that these other teams around the league are overpaying. What have the Browns done in the history of their franchise? Lmao...

I like this new more prudent approach that is coming mostly from Stephen's growing influence. It will bode well for the future.

Jerry may sit down with Dez tomorrow but you better believe there will be some Stephen Jones influence in Jerry's message!

Getcha popcorn ready!!! :popcorn:

Your forgetting one thing. Lets say the Cowboys offer him 8m to stay, that must mean they still want him (if they didn't they would have already cut him) on the team and feel he still has something to offer and is not done yet. If the Cowboys were willing to offer him say 8m and he refuses i'm sure some other team would offer him more on a 1 year "prove it" deal. It then comes down to what Dez wants to do and if he is willing to bet on himself then a 1 year deal with another team could turn into more money for him. Do you really think Huns is going to demand the double teams that Dez has gotten? I don't and that makes it even easier to defend against our offense

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Teams with a ton of cap space will overpay for young receivers who have been productive or have a lot of potential. If they don't work out, then they'll cut them 2 years into their contract. I doubt Dez would get that type of money after 3 years of declining production, injuries, and pushing 30.
He would get a one year prove it deal, heck at this stage of his career he could keep getting one year "prove it deals" I have no doubt he could get a 1 year 10m+ deal from somebody and if he has a good year get another 1 year deal for 12m+ the following season, heck even if Dez were to take a pay cut to 8m and have a great season he would still be under contract in 2019 for 12.5m, these salaries are steals comparted to what receivers are signing for now

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'm pretty confident they're going to suggest he take a cut to 7 or 8 mil to be more in line with where he is today with regard to twilight performance. Perhaps some performance incentives might come along as well... I said this exactly same thing several weeks ago and was lambasted for even making the suggestion.

That said, watch it happen tomorrow. He either takes it or he exits stage left to go get paid his "fair market value" elsewhere. Won't miss him...

PS... No one cares that these other teams around the league are overpaying. What have the Browns done in the history of their franchise? Lmao...

I like this new more prudent approach that is coming mostly from Stephen's growing influence. It will bode well for the future.

Jerry may sit down with Dez tomorrow but you better believe there will be some Stephen Jones influence in Jerry's message!

Getcha popcorn ready!!! :popcorn:
Gonna be interesting. But JJ can’t just say take a pay cut or clean out your locker. There has to be a “out” for Dez to stay. Most players won’t take a pay cut. I am wondering if it’s going to be called a restructure and he takes less this year but has player incentive things. More next year and some guarantees. I don’t think JJ expects Dez to realistically play for 7 million. He may want him to but he can’t expect it. His agent will never let it happen. And likely he will turn it over to his agent to work out. Before it was coming time for his contract Dez was talking about a home town discount. Once he turned it over to his agent then that never happened. So maybe JJ is bitter and will take a hard stand. If Dez goes then we know what’s happening at pick 19.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Your forgetting one thing. Lets say the Cowboys offer him 8m to stay, that must mean they still want him (if they didn't they would have already cut him) on the team and feel he still has something to offer and is not done yet. If the Cowboys were willing to offer him say 8m and he refuses i'm sure some other team would offer him more on a 1 year "prove it" deal. It then comes down to what Dez wants to do and if he is willing to bet on himself then a 1 year deal with another team could turn into more money for him. Do you really think Huns is going to demand the double teams that Dez has gotten? I don't and that makes it even easier to defend against our offense
8 mil with performance escalators or bye Felicia.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Gonna be interesting. But JJ can’t just say take a pay cut or clean out your locker. There has to be a “out” for Dez to stay. Most players won’t take a pay cut. I am wondering if it’s going to be called a restructure and he takes less this year but has player incentive things. More next year and some guarantees. I don’t think JJ expects Dez to realistically play for 7 million. He may want him to but he can’t expect it. His agent will never let it happen. And likely he will turn it over to his agent to work out. Before it was coming time for his contract Dez was talking about a home town discount. Once he turned it over to his agent then that never happened. So maybe JJ is bitter and will take a hard stand. If Dez goes then we know what’s happening at pick 19.
My popcorn is popped & ready for tomorrow. If he's truly a humble lover of Big D, he will take the cut/restructure.. whatever you want to call it. If not, don't let the door hit him on the way out.

glimmerman

Reaction score
My popcorn is popped & ready for tomorrow. If he's truly a humble lover of Big D, he will take the cut/restructure.. whatever you want to call it. If not, don't let the door hit him on the way out.
If he does and takes the restructure with player incentives, then his next stop from the meeting will be with Dak. They will practice every day together. Maybe a good thing.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
If he does and takes the restructure with player incentives, then his next stop from the meeting will be with Dak. They will practice every day together. Maybe a good thing.
I'd be all in on this scenario.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Well this just signed, sealed, and delivered dez being kicked out with his bags flying right behind him hitting him right in that stubborn ole head of his.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, is it?

All that said, I think people are not understanding that Landry is a very good receiver.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

A restructure with incentives does nothing for the cap from what I remember. You still have to reserve the money that you would owe him if he hit his incentives.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
So, the Browns just signed Jarvis Landry to a 5 year deal worth $75 million, $46 million guaranteed.
Sammy Watkins is getting over $16 million per season.
Odell Beckam want $20 million per season.
And we should cut Dez....:lmao:

On opening day:

Jarvis Landry - 25 years old
Sammy Watkins - 24 years old
Odell Beckham - 24 years old
Dez Bryant - 29 years old

Do you understand that good teams pay young players and move on from declining, aging players?

And by the way, I wouldn't suggest a cut outright but to renegotiate his contract. He can make the same money but he needs to hit incentives.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Sammy Watkins/Allen Robinson say, "Hi"
fans like Verdict and crew whine about Dez this past season while hyping up guys like Robinson and Landry. Robinson had as bad a year of Dez in 2016 and then tore his acl and just got paid.

Robinson got defended like a number one and was shut down and out of games. Averaged just over 50 yards a game like Dez and 6 tds.

y'all crack on Dez and his injuries but overlool Sammy and the fact he was healthy and had. a worse yr than dez.

Landry just averaged 9 yards a catch and his role deminished as the season wore on. The fines let him go and they need wr help. He might have the yardage and catch record to.start his career but that says something negative to me.

most of you are Delusional. blinded by your irrational hate for a guy who plays his heart out and unfortunately caught an unlucky break literally and figuratively in the prime of his career.

conner01

Reaction score
Yeah but I think he's thinking Dez will be handed $16.5MM in pay this year. He won't. He will only be paid $12.5MM this year.

The $4MM bonus is just the prorated $20MM given to Bryant in 2015. That $4MM has already been paid to Bryant.
Many do
But most think cap number and salary are the same thing
And it is actually pretty simple and I’m no cap guru

DHCBF66

Reaction score
On opening day:

Jarvis Landry - 25 years old
Sammy Watkins - 24 years old
Odell Beckham - 24 years old
Dez Bryant - 29 years old

Do you understand that good teams pay young players and move on from declining, aging players?

And by the way, I wouldn't suggest a cut outright but to renegotiate his contract. He can make the same money but he needs to hit incentives.
Landry....less than 1000 yards last season

Watkins...less than 600 yards last season.

Beckham missed last season with an injury.

Dez is 29, hardly "aging"!

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I get SOME other WR's got huge paydays, but that doesn't mean it justifies anything in regard to Dez. He already signed a huge contract and right after that underperformed compared to how he performed the 1st half of his career. Just because a couple of teams signed WR's to huge salaries doesn't mean that is the going rate. Dez is getting paid enough, no need to extend things until he shows he can produce without having a perfect QB.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Have to look at age here too. Way too much $ for WRs but Landry is 25

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
A restructure with incentives does nothing for the cap from what I remember. You still have to reserve the money that you would owe him if he hit his incentives.
Only if he hit the same marks last year

they can only be playing time and roster bonuses and Dez played all 16 games last year