Jason Garrett on the open market

mahoneybill

Reaction score
We've been the definition of middling because we keep losing games we shouldn't be losing against teams we really shouldn't be losing to. See: NYJ/Det/Arizona games in 2011, GNB/Det games this year. All winnable games against mediocre teams that we flat out blew.

You can't convincingly tell me any of those teams were outright better than us.

Agree they aren't better than us, except our D wasn't able to contain either GNB or Detroit when it mattered. Otherwise we win

WestCoastQB

Reaction score
Let's say Garrett got served his walking papers Monday morning. After yet another 8-8 season Jerry had enough and decided to move on.

Where would he end up? In what capacity?

No shot he gets another HC gig, right?

Same guy that turned down ATL and BAL because he felt you couldn't win there?

That JG?

Zman5

Reaction score
He can and probably will succeed as a politician. He is articulate. He has the Ivy league degree. He is awesome at talking BS while making it sound like something important. He is good at sidestepping questions.

Ozzy was right. He should run for president.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have come to fruition that Jerry will not fire him at the end of the season. I want him too but it looks like Garrett is here for another year at least. If Romo doesn't play, that is Jerry's excuse not too.

Lets say he does get canned, I think Garrett might do well as an athletic director at a university. He has head coach of the Cowboys on his resume and that is nothing to sneeze at. He can do that job for a few years, get to know the college players better then try going back into the NFL as a coordinator. If that works, then he can throw his hat back into the ring as a HC for a team with less pressure. He needs more experience and more tutelage from proven coaches.

Garrett was thrown to the wolves way too early and he was not ready. If this was in JAX or Cleveland or something, I think he might have fared better. This was not the right circumstances for him to get head coaching experience.

Again, I don't think he gets fired :(

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I have come to fruition that Jerry will not fire him at the end of the season. I want him too but it looks like Garrett is here for another year at least. If Romo doesn't play, that is Jerry's excuse not too.

Lets say he does get canned, I think Garrett might do well as an athletic director at a university. He has head coach of the Cowboys on his resume and that is nothing to sneeze at. He can do that job for a few years, get to know the college players better then try going back into the NFL as a coordinator. If that works, then he can throw his hat back into the ring as a HC for a team with less pressure. He needs more experience and more tutelage from proven coaches.

Garrett was thrown to the wolves way too early and he was not ready. If this was in JAX or Cleveland or something, I think he might have fared better. This was not the right circumstances for him to get head coaching experience.

Again, I don't think he gets fired :(

An AD- you might have something there...

JS22

Reaction score
I'm not a Garrett fan but I think you all are nuts. Garrett has a great reputation around the league and he will easily get a few interviews. Most likely lands an OC job somewhere though.

Put him in a situation with a sane owner, a real GM, and isn't a circus like the Dallas Cowboys and he'll do fine.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
He can and probably will succeed as a politician. He is articulate. He has the Ivy league degree. He is awesome at talking BS while making it sound like something important. He is good at sidestepping questions.

Ozzy was right. He should run for president.

He is really creepy looking tbh, even for a politician.

Big D

Reaction score
Moose was on the fan the other day and made a good point. He said that unless you have a replacement ready to go you should not pull the plug on your head coach. Doing so basically means that who you replace him with will alter your offensive and defensive strategies, roster changes, drafts etc. One wrong move could set you back 10yrs easily so you'd better make sure you have the right guy on deck otherwise your better off standing pat.

As much as I've complained about Garrett I'd have to agree with moose here. I don't think Kiffen should be scapegoated either. In fact, seeing what he got out the the guys we pulled off the street has me curious to see what he can do with a healthy roster full of actual starting caliber players. Ryan was basically put in a similar position and look what he's done with a better pool of players to work with. As bad as it seems we're only really struggling because of depth issues.

I say give this staff one more off season to tweak the roster and draft some more talent. If we don't see marked improvement then its time to chop heads.

rcaldw

Reaction score
I'm not a Garrett fan but I think you all are nuts. Garrett has a great reputation around the league and he will easily get a few interviews. Most likely lands an OC job somewhere though.

Put him in a situation with a sane owner, a real GM, and isn't a circus like the Dallas Cowboys and he'll do fine.

Your first statement is spot on.... "great post"

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best he would get at this point at the NFL level is a QB coach job.

This belief in his 'reputation' is over four years old, when he was viewed as an up-and-comer.

After three 8-8's, that ship has sailed and been replaced by truth.

Wood

Reaction score
I will say this....we have yet to see Garrett coach in a normal circumstance (without 100% certifiable nut case owner/gm). Until I see Garrett coach in situation where we can make decisions without the Owner in the corner with reporters contradicting things...we really don't know. Its entirely possible Garrett is not an NFL HC. But it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him go to another organization and have success and become one of the longest tenure coaches. Jerry just muddles the waters so much on coaches and players its almost impossible to get good read on it until they go to sane organization.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
His game day decisions have nothing to do with the owner though.

I will say this....we have yet to see Garrett coach in a normal circumstance (without 100% certifiable nut case owner/gm). Until I see Garrett coach in situation where we can make decisions without the Owner in the corner with reporters contradicting things...we really don't know. Its entirely possible Garrett is not an NFL HC. But it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him go to another organization and have success and become one of the longest tenure coaches. Jerry just muddles the waters so much on coaches and players its almost impossible to get good read on it until they go to sane organization.

Fredd

Reaction score
After three 8-8's, that ship has sailed and been replaced by truth.

yes, but JJ looks at truth like a guy would look at a "less than attractive" girl in a bar after a night out...in both cases, the alcohol level in their systems prohibit good decisions

visionary

Reaction score
That's simply untrue. Wade has a tendency to to flame out but he certainly has had more success as a head coach than Garrett. He also, obviously, has much more experience.

exactly, you can say what you like about wade but he has produced far better results than JGs process has

in that case, if you believe wade is a bad coach, JG must be really horrible