Recommended Jason Witten is returning to the Cowboys **merged**

HungryLion

Reaction score
Rico and Swaim are gone.

Swaim has a small chance to come back if he signs a minimum contract but i would rather he doesn’t.

GMO415

Reaction score
I hope the Jones' are wise enough and explained to Witt that it's Dak, EzE, T Smith, Tank, J Smith and LVEs team. Witt is only there for blocking and his expertise.

I really don't want to see a C on his jersey.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
He has 7 months...lol you people
You give that geezer a lot of credit. Sure! Take 22 or 23 Months off, then swagger into camp and you are ready to play!!!!
Doesn't work that way.
Mr. Age and Mr. Time would agree with me.

Lol you people!

Insomniac

Reaction score
Rhetorical question- I wonder how many other NFL teams would take Witten back at his age, a year after retiring? The patriots? No way.

It depends on how much the player has left. I don't think there's any doubt the Witten was in decline and his last year wasn't very impressive.
I hope the Jones' are wise enough and explained to Witt that it's Dak, EzE, T Smith, Tank, J Smith and LVEs team. Witt is only there for blocking and his expertise.

I really don't want to see a C on his jersey.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, all of this is kinda crazy but hey, strange things happen every day I guess. Here is what I will say, when Witt first retired, a lot of people talked about him possibly coming back. I thought that the idea was crazy, never happen. Well, it has happened and I was 100% wrong there so my apologies to all of you who I called bat**** crazy. LOL........ You were guys were right, I was completely wrong. Big plate of crow for me but congrats to you guys.
I didn't either. If he had been a better analyst, do you think he would have come back? Bet it tore him up to see the action rather than be the action.

Dre11

Reaction score
You give that geezer a lot of credit. Sure! Take 22 or 23 Months off, then swagger into camp and you are ready to play!!!!
Doesn't work that way.
Mr. Age and Mr. Time would agree with me.

Lol you people!

How many games of football you've played? He's kept himself in shape, that layoff won't hurt him, he's not an average human, he a highly trained athlete he'll be fine come September. You people.

Beaker42

Reaction score
My biggest worry about Witten coming back was the team giving him is old role back. The man ran 97% of the snaps the last season he played. We can all agree he’s too slow now to be that guy. The only way I would be cool with him on the team would be in a redzone, run-blocking, 3rd down role. Well it looks like that’s whats going to happen..

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/f...witten-slated-for-light-workload-in-2019/amp/

This would be unlike the typical homer FO move if we actually made him the niche player he should be. And predictability isn’t an issue with Witten because he’s the classic “know what’s coming can’t stop it guy”. Just not at a 97% snap count rate. I know approve of this move by the FO.

What about y’all?
He’ll get 30-35 by the time the opener rolls around. They won’t be able to help themselves. And he’ll still be targeted 8-10 times per.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I’m of the camp we don’t need to waste one of our few picks on TE.
Schultz and Jarwin at the end of the season showed real promise.

No. Just no, man. They didn’t show promise, unless by promise you mean the promise of being average tight ends in this league.

Great TEs are game changers in this league. Jason can keep the seat warm for another year but this team needs to go out and sign or draft a great TE.

Fire407

Reaction score
I just hope they don't continue to do what they did in the past and on third down throw Witten a 7 yard pass when you need 9, and then punt.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Jarwin showed the ability to be that seam threat that was common in Romos prime.

Schultz was the safety valve type player.

I’d rather have Eifert/Rico than Witten. Schultz can bulk up and become a better blocker.

Unless we find out Witten had injuries the last 2 years that slowed him down I don’t understand this. His YAC in 2017 had to be less than 50 yards

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I actually think Witten is a better fit for this offense now than he was in 2017. That year, we didn't really have a deep threat since Dak and Bryant couldn't connect, so defenses flooded the underneath coverage in order to take away those options. Cooper and Gallup both showed downfield ability that forces the safeties to drop back more when they read pass.

Witten's strength is his knowledge of how to play the game, how to find the soft spots and use his body to create separation. I would say that's one area where our tight ends had problems last year. They were green and it showed. Their advantage over him is better athletic ability, so hopefully we can develop that while letting Witten provide a more stable presence.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
He’s still a better blocker, receiver, route runner than any TE on the team.
So he’s slower....great! Play Witten and Jarwin together. No LB can cover Witten, and Jarwin will have room to run the seam routes.

You can’t always be young at every position. This is the kind of vet leadership and short yardage/red zone move that winning teams make.
The patriots don’t bring guys back after they let them go once their skills decline

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Rico and Swaim are gone.

Swaim has a small chance to come back if he signs a minimum contract but i would rather he doesn’t.

I don't see us attempting to re-sign Swaim now. I'm not sure we ever were, but this rules it out IMO.

I know that the front office said tight end was a priority. I wonder if Witten at 25 snaps per game changes that and they give Jarwin and Schultz a chance to develop instead. Frankly, I'm for that over spending our second-round pick on a tight end.