Twitter: Jaylon needs to be cut

InTheZone

Reaction score
Since he's been doing this over and over I'm starting to lean on the idea MM is a fraud. I believed MM would remove the pets and make changes, that hasn't happened. If Jaylon is on this team for the 2021 season I'm looking for a new HC because I'm sure other issues will have been ignored as well.

MTerrazzano

Reaction score

Jaylon is such an athletic freak its a real shame how week after week we see the same errors. I just can't take it anymore. God I miss Sean Lee, Anthony Hitchens, Bradie James, Dat Nguyen, Dexter Coakley, Randall Godfrey, Ken Norton Jr, Dixon Edwards, Darrin Smith. It makes me even miss the mid-80s - Eugene Lockhart, Jeff Rohrer.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
We have the worst safeties and defensive tackles in the NFL. You could have Ray Lewis and Mike Singletary out there and it would not matter. Football is a total team sport. I love Parsons from Penn State and hope we possibly draft him but with our safeties and tackles he won’t know what hit him. Then you fools would be claiming he is a bust.

Two things can be equally true:

1) Our safeties and tackles are talent poor; and

2) Jaylon is individually bad.

The reality of #1 doesn’t mean #2 isn’t suddenly true.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd love to know exactly what the Cowboys braintrust was looking at when they rolled out that huge extension?

He's a June 1st cut candidate next year for any team not run by its ego.

But what they can do today is to sit him down and put Joe Thomas out there. If I'm a coach that could potentially lose my job because of play like this, that's certainly what I'm doing.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert, but that's what I seen also.

That’s exactly right.

Woods is playing outside contain and reading the motion of the h-back.

D-Law is reading the QB who is rolling out, but quickly reads the play as a run to the HB.

Jaylon gets sucked in bad to the motion of the H-back and doesn’t continue reading the play which opens up a huge gap at the line where he’s not even in the vicinity to help fill.

Last edited:

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Exactly, what’s cherry-picked in this context?

It’s a single play showing yet another gaffe from Jaylon.

So, when people show a highlight play from Jaylon is that “cherry-picked” too?
Yes.

A specific aspect of something is not necessarily and objectively indicative of the whole.

Fallacy of composition. ...

I appreciate the answer regarding Jpeezy’s tweets. So was he right regarding #79? Im guessing from your previous reply that he probably was but that Jaylon was the “most chewed up”, as my drill sergeant would have said lol, on that play.

Last edited:

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Just key on him the next game. I started doing this a couple of years ago. His magical, mythical 2018 season is a JOKE to people who actually key on him. If you key on him...you will see this guy does next to NOTHING on a weekly basis. I am confident that if you do that the next game....you will understand what many are saying. Why I am confident? Because this is a copycat league and I am SURE the Eagles will design plays to take advantage of his inability to have a clue...just like the team the week before...and the week before that....and the week before that......
I’ll do that. Just curious, did you think our 2018 defense was a paper tiger even though we statistically looked good? We did give up 273 yards rushing to the Rams in the playoffs.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
No one can say he isn’t giving effort, though. He leads the NFL in tackles.
Our QB and RB would be performing better if the OL was better.
Our LBs would be playing better if they had a legit DL with NFL DTs in front of them.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I honestly get not cutting guys like Jaylon, but they better begin looking at drafting their replacements so these guys can be cut when their dead money won't kill us. It would be a bigger mistake to passup a stud linebacker early in the next draft just because they like Jaylon and LVE.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Our LBs would be playing better if they had a legit DL with NFL DTs in front of them.

This is what concerns me regarding an analysis of his play. Granted, some on this thread have said he’s sucked from day one, so maybe he hasn’t been very good since he got here. That seems wildly out of step with 2018 though but again, I’m no expert on the nuanced aspects of linebacker play in the NFL and those saying he’s sucked from day one might be right and I wouldn’t know.

I’m also, by no means, making a statement as to how well or bad Jaylon has played this year. I AM making a statement wondering as to how much his play has been affected by a terrible dearth of talent on the interior of the defensive line, and coupled with learning a new scheme, I am wondering if this has possibly led to a terrible transition from last year to this year that might misaligned with what he’s actually bringing to the table skill-wise and talent-wise.

Last edited:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Yes.

A specific aspect of something is not necessarily and objectively indicative of the whole.

Fallacy of composition. ...

I appreciate the answer regarding Jpeezy’s tweets. So was he right regarding #79? Im guessing from your previous reply that he probably was but that Jaylon was the “most chewed up”, as my drill sergeant would have said lol, on that play.

Are you saying this individual play is a fallacy of composition?

It’s not.

It would only be that if someone claimed “all of Jaylon’s snaps on defense must be just like this single play.”

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I’ll do that. Just curious, did you think our 2018 defense was a paper tiger even though we statistically looked good? We did give up 273 yards rushing to the Rams in the playoffs.
Honestly, I can't remember the 2018 defense. But here is what I will tell you. Sean Lee was/is the real deal...injuries have hurt him. #55 the wolf hunter....had a tremendous rookie year...I think injuries have derailed him. In spite of not creating turnovers, Byron Jones was/is a good to very good CB. DeMarcus Lawrence, prior to the injuries....was a very good player. Outside of those guys...the rest of them is just meh. And that especially is my feelings about #54. Why he was extended has very little to do with football. It was political(sending a message to Zeke who was holding out), it was due to an inspirational storyline.....and there was probably a lot of hopeful, wishful thinking about his upside.

The life blood of this team was the OL. It allowed us to run the football, control the clock and keep the defense off the field. Without that....our defense is on the field a lot....and we are seeing more of them than this organization EVER wanted us to see. And there is no end in sight to how low this will go. My thoughts about the talent on this defense leads me to believe that this defense will set records of futility by the end of the year. This will not get better. And a lot of these guys are going to get exposed.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Are you saying this individual play is a fallacy of composition?

It’s not.

It would only be that if someone claimed “all of Jaylon’s snaps on defense must be just like this single play.”

No. I’m saying basing your opinion as to how bad or good he is as an NFL linebacker based on how he performed on one, or even a few plays, would be a fallacy of composition. That’s why “cherry picked” plays, e.g. just a play here or there, don’t even begin to tell the whole story. Sure, that one play might be indicative of the whole but you don’t know that watching that one play. You need far, far more information to avoid a fallacy of composition. That’s why I said even one good highlight is still a “cherry picked” highlight.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I still believe that the team watched the tape of the Philly game last year, saw how hard everyone played, then saw how Jaylon played, and at that moment stopped caring all together.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
This is what concerns me regarding an analysis of his play. Granted, some on this thread have said he’s sucked from day one, so maybe he hasn’t been very good since he got here. That seems wildly out of step with 2018 though but again, I’m no expert on the nuanced aspects of linebacker play in the NFL and those saying he’s sucked from day one might be right and I wouldn’t know.

I’m also, by no means, making a statement as to how well or bad Jaylon has played this year. I AM making a statement wondering as to how much his play has been affected by a terrible dearth of talent on the interior of the defensive line, and coupled with learning a new scheme, I am wondering if this has possibly led to a terrible transition from last year to this year.

I was a huge fan of Jaylon while he was at Notre Dame.

His 2017 season was like a red-shirt to me. He was playing with a brace and I was just glad to see him on the field.

2018 was like the honeymoon phase; the brace was off and any positives you saw from him was gravy. That said, I have posts from 2018 that were critical of some of his play (primarily with open field tackling). Despite that, I would always rationalize it at the time as "field rust" and him needing to get reacclimated to the game and the speed of NFL football.

In 2019, he did not progress as a player. He was now ~3 years post injury. The red flags I saw in 2018 were even more glaring and were not limited to just the physical aspects of the game. The Athletic had a long write up on him talking to his childhood friend and current manager, former coaches, et cetera. In the article it even noted that Jaylon acknowledged his 2019 season was not up to par.

2020, has been an absolute train wreck. His deficiencies cannot be attributed to scheme. There's no scheme that can completely protect a LB from being untouched; that can prevent an LB from having to take on a pulling OG; from having to stack-and-shed and maintain gap integrity; from having to read-and-react/react-and-read, et cetera.

Again, the scheme may be horrible, but Jaylon is severely underperforming as an individual player.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
A guy like Sean Lee must lose his mind. A guy who would spend hours preparing for the next opponent looking for the slightest edge. Then watches as Jaylon spends the week doing arm curls and having business meeting with Jerry. One balls out on Sunday. The other not so much. Somehow though the other guy gets a massive contract and is guaranteed to play 100% of the snaps. Is even wearing the C on Sunday. And we wonder why players on this team only play for themselves.