Video: Jaylon Smith at practice yesterday

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
LOL.

How come not one media person (even Broaddus) mentioned his obvious limp that all you guys saw in video?

Hahahahaha. You guys crack me up.

I asked broaddus on their Spanish persicope session with ámbar García if his opinion has changed after seeing jaylon practice.

He said I quote: "jaylons issue is the drop foot. We need to see how he plays with the brace. How he pushes off that foot when in need to make a tackle. Only two players have played with that brace and both had very short careers. We will know more in TC"

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Doc50 has mentioned Jaylon should have no issues with planting or driving off the foot. The knee is 100% and his only disability is raising his foot back up slightly, and that's getting better and better as the nerve improves (and it has been with his toes being wiggled).

But I agree with Broaddus on one thing, how he tackles will show us a lot. Ideally he doesn't have to wear a brace by TC, but if he does in a perfect situation it doesn't hinder him or put him at risk.

Wood

Reaction score
There is definitely something off. He's definitely favoring one leg. With that being said he still looks explosive. The question is can he play with that limp?

limp means nothing. He already has shown explosiveness. Does he have power. Can he engage/shed blockers. Ultimately it comes down to is Jaylon better player than Anthony Hitchens at Mike.

Verdict

Reaction score
I didn't see anything in the video that showed him going "beast mode" but I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. Having said that, I'm not pessimistic about him. I don't think he is fully recovered yet (maximum degree of medical improvement) and he still has more upside to obtain in that area. I think he will continue to get better unless he suffers a setback.

The more he is able to practice and use that leg/foot (without injury) the faster I think he will get back to normal. I don't know if he has once in a decade talent, but if he does, I would hate to see them piss that off by rushing him back, even if it takes a full season more.

Based on what we are seeing though, I think Jaylon will be playing some this year. I don't think he needs to be able to go balls out this year but just naturally progressing along the way should be a reasonable expectation.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I asked broaddus on their Spanish persicope session with ámbar García if his opinion has changed after seeing jaylon practice.

He said I quote: "jaylons issue is the drop foot. We need to see how he plays with the brace. How he pushes off that foot when in need to make a tackle. Only two players have played with that brace and both had very short careers. We will know more in TC"

I tweeted Broaduss to ask Ambar García for her número de teléfono.

Dundalis

Reaction score
limp means nothing. He already has shown explosiveness. Does he have power. Can he engage/shed blockers. Ultimately it comes down to is Jaylon better player than Anthony Hitchens at Mike.
Have people actually watched tape of Jaylon in college? Even healthy engaging/shedding blockers was something he rarely did and was not very good at when he tried. His strengths are coverage and pass rushing. Not to say he can't improve of course but he's much more of a finesse LB than bruiser who gets involved physically around the LOS against the run.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Seeing Jaylon on the field is encouraging, I've been skeptical that he'd see the field this year...I'm at least encouraged that he will play this year...

Hardline

Reaction score
Some guy killed himself by pulling a Coke machine over on himself while trying to get a Coke.

People do dumb things.

At least your mistake wouldn't kill you
He was BPA by far. I certainly wouldn't have passed him up for a second tier pass rusher.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
trying to figure out what the people who claimed he was limping were looking at
It is not really a noticeable limp.

But his gait seems off and his movements are herky jerky, and definitely seem labored.

Watch that footage then watch him pre-injury, much more smooth and less frentic.

But that is to be expected. All in all, you can't pretend he is the same player right now though. Not that he couldn't completely recover.

If he makes it through this year unscathed with no set backs and continues to heel, 2019 could be where we see that special player he was pre-injury--at least physically.