Jaylon, the pass rusher

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Just a reminder of what a weapon this kid is on third downs, if he gets all the way back this year.

Ok i know im doing to get killed here for saying this, but we are Currently playing him at LB now... but why are we not considering him for RDE? he's already at 6'3 and 250LBS almost... a lot of the guys we are looking at the Takk's and Houston Kid as well TJ Watt are all about 6'3 / 6'4 and 245 - 255 LBS... that Tape right there him coming off the edge is light years ahead of any of the guys we are considering in the draft.

also wouldnt it be better for his ankles if hes just running forward instead of dropping in to zone or running and turning with LBs and RBs

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point, I have to believe no news is NOT good news. The ambiguous updates from Jaylon himself and the Cowboys FO is not comforting to me on his recovery. And the random videos of him working out that are released always appear to be under strict conditions in order to control perception.

Possibly I missed but still have not come across a definitive update, from a medical expert point of view, on his progress.

It's like all those grainy bigfoot videos where the photographic technology is available to get crystal clear pictures but the guy taking the shots has a flip phone.

#NOTClearEyeView
I completely agree.

When we do get definitive statements, they're negative: "the nerve is not firing." These tend to come from reporters, not from anyone in the organization.
The positive statements we get (or at least the ones that are spun as positive) are all vague: all those workout videos, "he's good to go for OTAs and camp" (so am I, but I'd be cut in the first five minutes), etc.

My take on all this news in the aggregate is that Jaylon is going to try to play in the NFL with dropfoot and a brace. I don't expect it to go well, but I also have no expertise whatsoever in this area. We shall see.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you guys realize that the elite passers - Brady, Ryan and Rodgers, for example - are actually better against the blitz than when you pressure with four rushers?
That's OK because Jaylon is even better in coverage than he is as a pass rusher. Some draft analysts thought (if healthy) that he would be a top 5 coverage LB the day he stepped onto an NFL field and could become one of the best LBs ever in coverage.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best news we've got as to Jaylon is the fact that we've brought in no 4-3 LBs for draft visits and did not sign any free agent LBs. If the FO had serious doubts about whether Jaylon was playing this year, you'd think they'd consider drafting a LB or signing one as a contingency.
I think they really like Wilson. He played well in limited opportunities last season. If think if Jaylon can't play, they might move Wilson to MLB.

Also, physically Nzeocha looked terrific in the preseason before getting injured. I don't know where he is mentally, but physically he is a Wow player. He missed too much preseason and training camp time to be ready to contribute during the season, but if he can stay healthy this season, he has a good chance to contribute.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok i know im doing to get killed here for saying this, but we are Currently playing him at LB now... but why are we not considering him for RDE? he's already at 6'3 and 250LBS almost... a lot of the guys we are looking at the Takk's and Houston Kid as well TJ Watt are all about 6'3 / 6'4 and 245 - 255 LBS... that Tape right there him coming off the edge is light years ahead of any of the guys we are considering in the draft.

also wouldnt it be better for his ankles if hes just running forward instead of dropping in to zone or running and turning with LBs and RBs
Good question.

If healthy, comparing him to the pass rushers in this draft, I would have him at #2. In college he was far and away more agile and athletic than all the pass rushers in this draft not named Myles Garrett.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Good question.

If healthy, comparing him to the pass rushers in this draft, I would have him at #2. In college he was far and away more agile and athletic than all the pass rushers in this draft not named Myles Garrett.

I have to question his bend after this injury. Before he actually seemed to have some, but if you can't even feel your foot, how can you bend at the ankles like elite pass rushers do on every down.

I would love to use him like a Von Miller. We are still stuck on the foot though.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
I have to question his bend after this injury. Before he actually seemed to have some, but if you can't even feel your foot, how can you bend at the ankles like elite pass rushers do on every down.

I would love to use him like a Von Miller. We are still stuck on the foot though.
He cant feel his foot?!?!?! Paniccccc!!!!!!!!!!11111elevennnn

speedkilz88

Reaction score

His nerve injury only involved the peroneal nerve which effected his ability to lift up the foot and possibly stability in the ankle. And that is what is improving since the nerve started to fire.

Brooksey

Reaction score
His nerve injury only involved the peroneal nerve which effected his ability to lift up the foot and possibly stability in the ankle. And that is what is improving since the nerve started to fire.

So the nerve is firing. Good to hear

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Sean Lee should have a talk with Jaylon about what to do or not do to prevent wear and tear on the knee. When I watch Jaylon play, I see another major knee injury waiting to happen. It's only a matter of time... actually for both of them. :eek:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith is a player that was selected by Marinelli, as his type of player selection.

I agree with the OP...if the current staff can take aging Veterans and create a defense, I'm anxious to see what can come from talented youth coming into the picture and growing together.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Jaylon Smith is a player that was selected by Marinelli, as his type of player selection.

I agree with the OP...if the current staff can take aging Veterans and create a defense, I'm anxious to see what can come from talented youth coming into the picture and growing together.
In Jaylon's case, that "talented youth" has a reconstructed knee. Not ideal for longevity.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Good question.

Do Wilson and Hitchens round out the linebacker group? If so, where might this group project among all time linebacker groups?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
In Jaylon's case, that "talented youth" has a reconstructed knee. Not ideal for longevity.
Common knee injuries don't affect longevity. Those with serious cartilage damage do. Jalen Ramsey, John Ross are guys that have had microfracture, they're longevity might be an issue.