Jeff Heath has as many interceptions as the entire Cowboys Defense

Sydla

Reaction score
I think a high majority of posters here that Ha Ha Clinton Dix was going to be an upgrade.

And we were all wrong (although I struggle to understand how Dix, who was at least effective elsewhere in recent years couldn't beat out Thompson, makes me think if Nolan wasn't playing a bit of favoritism here).

But the fact people were wrong with Dix doesn't mean they are wrong that Heath wasn't a starting caliber S here.

J12B

Reaction score
And we were all wrong (although I struggle to understand how Dix, who was at least effective elsewhere in recent years couldn't beat out Thompson, makes me think if Nolan wasn't playing a bit of favoritism here).

But the fact people were wrong with Dix doesn't mean they are wrong that Heath wasn't a starting caliber S here.

The fact that Heath was a starter for like 3 seasons and Dix couldn't even make the roster is telling

Loso86

Reaction score
Yeah we don't need Jeff Heath. Our backfield is teeming with so much talent that we can afford to left him go for a mere few millions.

Let's spend it on bargain-basement deals like Haha Clinton Dix.......
According to this Zone he was trash. You don't remember??. Lol. But no jeff heath is a great ST guy and S who can come in a few plays a game. THIS was the same convo year after year about our S play and how we needed to get rid of him back there

Loso86

Reaction score
kind of harsh but true

Going into the Kansas game he only had like 33 snaps played all year. Despite having a scheme advantage over almost everybody on the raiders he still wasn't even good enough to be a starter.......

He made a nice play yesterday but I would hold off on the whole "oh we let a really good starter walk"
EXACTLY lol, some people here forget what they say in years past lol. He was a great ST guy and a S who could give you some good snaps. Hard hitter and all that. But the guy couldnt cover and missed ALOT of tackles

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Interceptions are hardly the mark of a good or great defensive back. For all his interceptions there were numerous plays where he was out of position, had a bad read, missed a tackle.

It's downright perplexing as to why so many people like him and think he's a good player.

And again, not bringing Heath back was smart. They should have used the $4MM saved to sign a better safety than Dix. But them signing Dix and his failing here doesn't mean that we made a mistake letting Heath walk.

I don't think he is a good player. Far from it. But I'll take him over anyone what we have right now.

$4MM got us Dix. Look how that turned out to be. We can thank our FO for being frugal and not wanting to spend money in that position.

Heath may have been just a bandaid. That has been ripped out and now the bleeding continues. Any ideas on how to stop the bleeding?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
According to this Zone he was trash. You don't remember??. Lol. But no jeff heath is a great ST guy and S who can come in a few plays a game. THIS was the same convo year after year about our S play and how we needed to get rid of him back there

Oh I remember and I was one of those happy to see him go. However, you don't fix a trashbin with another trashbin.

Right now he would be a better alternative than Tompson. Who is nothing more than camp fodder IMO.

Sydla

Reaction score
The fact that Heath was a starter for like 3 seasons and Dix couldn't even make the roster is telling

Heath wasn't a good starter here for like 3 years. The fact Dix got cut doesn't change the fact. The Cowboys needed to move on from Heath, which was the smart move. They just then got dumb and didn't find a real upgrade.

I am surprised how some of you are struggling with this. It ain't rocket science. Heath wasn't good enough. They let him go. That was the right move. They then followed the right move up with a wrong move.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He intercepted Mahomes yesterday and it was a huge interception that really helped the Raiders win the game.

Would love to have Heath back on this team.

Never got all the hate for him.

This defense needs him.

Bingo. He wasn't the most athletically gifted but he made the most of his ability. (how many current cowboys can that be said about).

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't think he is a good player. Far from it. But I'll take him over anyone what we have right now.

$4MM got us Dix. Look how that turned out to be. We can thank our FO for being frugal and not wanting to spend money in that position.

Heath may have been just a bandaid. That has been ripped out and now the bleeding continues. Any ideas on how to stop the bleeding?

$4MM got the Raiders Heath and he largely rides the bench for them and only played because of a rash of injuries.

People need to let Heath go. He isn't upgrading what we have on defense. He'd just be another blah safety in our rotation.

Frankly, to fix the bleeding, they should give Eric Reid a call or maybe look for a trade. But I also know that Jeff Heath sure as heck wouldn't slow the bleeding if we had him.

J12B

Reaction score
Heath wasn't a good starter here for like 3 years. The fact Dix got cut doesn't change the fact. The Cowboys needed to move on from Heath, which was the smart move. They just then got dumb and didn't find a real upgrade.

I am surprised how some of you are struggling with this. It ain't rocket science. Heath wasn't good enough. They let him go. That was the right move. They then followed the right move up with a wrong move.

Heath would be an upgrade over what we currently have, he is an excellent Special Teams player and always a team Captain because players liked and respected him.

Letting Heath go wasn't the right move, Dallas could have afforded him.

I struggle to see how you don't understand this.

Sydla

Reaction score
Heath would be an upgrade over what we currently have, he is an excellent Special Teams player and always a team Captain because players liked and respected him.

Letting Heath go wasn't the right move, Dallas could have afforded him.

I struggle to see how you don't understand this.

It's not that hard to understand the point. Heath is a below average starting S in this league. He is not an upgrade over what we have. I'd rather let Wilson, the young kid play, then run Heath out there. Again, Heath is only even playing in Las Vegas because of injuries. He was literally riding the bench before this past game (30 total snaps in 4 games).

Special teams wise, have we missed him? Seems like our return defense is just fine without him. I doubt his "captain" status would have any noticeable effect on the defense either.

Letting Heath walk for $4 million was the absolute right move. You guys just struggle to admit reality with one of your favorite players.

PS - Dix only counts as $2.3 million against the cap, so at $4MM, Heath is overpaid.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
What? Before this last game against KC, he had played like 30-40 snaps TOTAL for the Raiders. He was a pine rider there. He only played against KC because the other Ss were banged up.

So no, he's not doing "very well" in Las Vegas.

As many picks as our entire defense -- sounds pretty well to me.

Sydla

Reaction score
As many picks as our entire defense -- sounds pretty well to me.

So he picks off one pass after riding the bench for 4 games and that's playing pretty well? I bet you didn't even know he wasn't even playing in Las Vegas before he got in this last game (and he'll go right back to the bench when the starters get healthy).

You Heath guys are an odd bunch. I've never seen such admiration for such a mediocre player.

DFWJC

Reaction score
His wife approves of this thread
20131202_kkt_sh2_667.0.jpg

DFWJC

Reaction score
He intercepted Mahomes yesterday and it was a huge interception that really helped the Raiders win the game.

Would love to have Heath back on this team.

Never got all the hate for him.

This defense needs him.
He's always had a nose for the football.

To be fair, the bar is very low when comparing to the Cowboys secondary

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Mahomes pulled a Tom Brady and went deep on a 4th & 7 when he had a pair of receivers who ran shorter routes past the 1st down that were open , and the Heath cheerleaders are gushing like he's Ed Reed now................. :facepalm:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
$4MM got the Raiders Heath and he largely rides the bench for them and only played because of a rash of injuries.

People need to let Heath go. He isn't upgrading what we have on defense. He'd just be another blah safety in our rotation.

Frankly, to fix the bleeding, they should give Eric Reid a call or maybe look for a trade. But I also know that Jeff Heath sure as heck wouldn't slow the bleeding if we had him.

He made plays just like he did yesterday. He was a hitter and didn't cost us a lot of money. Nobody is arguing the guy was a great player. BUT, every team needs effort guys who just come and play football without the large cap hit. He is absolutely better than anyone we have now playing safety.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
So he picks off one pass after riding the bench for 4 games and that's playing pretty well? I bet you didn't even know he wasn't even playing in Las Vegas before he got in this last game (and he'll go right back to the bench when the starters get healthy).

You Heath guys are an odd bunch. I've never seen such admiration for such a mediocre player.

Nice job distorting my words beyond all recognition. Thanks for leaving out the part where I talked about the meritocracy and of finding someone better, you know that part about Heath backing him up. I only talked about Heath playing better than who we have now, which, you know, is true. This team has a historically bad defense, possibly the worst one in Cowboys history. Well, it's probably not worse than the 1960 one. I would rather have a Darren Woodson, but we don't. You also left out where I said I wanted someone like him.

Meritocracy. Look it up. I said in a meritocracy if Heath were still on the team, he would beat out who we have now. And I said if we had someone like Woodson, he would beat out Health. Ya know, that crazy idea that you seek out the best players, and then start whomever plays best. Those are my crazy ideas, ya know, my crazy ideas of finding the best players you can and having them compete. You distorted that into worshipping a player. I don't worship anyone other than God. But go ahead and distort my ideas about meritocracy into stuff I didn't say. You would make an excellent politician. Now if you feel like responding to what I actually said, you can explain why my notions of meritocracy are so awful.