Jeff Heath has as many interceptions as the entire Cowboys Defense

Sydla

Reaction score
He made plays just like he did yesterday. He was a hitter and didn't cost us a lot of money. Nobody is arguing the guy was a great player. BUT, every team needs effort guys who just come and play football without the large cap hit. He is absolutely better than anyone we have now playing safety.

He is not better than anyone we have now. Woods, is, and was, better. And Woods isn't even that good himself but he was better than Heath. WIlson, as he gets his feet wet, probably would be no worse than Heath. And Heath was a hitter? For two straight years he was one of the worst tackling safeties in football.

Sydla

Reaction score
Nice job distorting my words beyond all recognition. Thanks for leaving out the part where I talked about the meritocracy and of finding someone better, you know that part about Heath backing him up. I only talked about Heath playing better than who we have now, which, you know, is true. This team has a historically bad defense, possibly the worst one in Cowboys history. Well, it's probably not worse than the 1960 one. I would rather have a Darren Woodson, but we don't. You also left out where I said I wanted someone like him.

Meritocracy. Look it up. I said in a meritocracy if Heath were still on the team, he would beat out who we have now. And I said if we had someone like Woodson, he would beat out Health. Ya know, that crazy idea that you seek out the best players, and then start whomever plays best. Those are my crazy ideas, ya know, my crazy ideas of finding the best players you can and having them compete. You distorted that into worshipping a player. I don't worship anyone other than God. But go ahead and distort my ideas about meritocracy into stuff I didn't say. You would make an excellent politician. Now if you feel like responding to what I actually said, you can explain why my notions of meritocracy are so awful.

You claimed he you root for Heath and that he was doing "very well" in Las Vegas. In no world is a guy who played 30 total snaps over 4 games "doing very well" in Las Vegas. My guess is you saw he had an interception, didn't realize it was kind of flukey and that Heath was only in because of injuries and hadn't played much at all during his time in Las Vegas. I didn't even discuss your meritocracy point, I largely ignored it, instead highlighting specifically the part where you said he was doing well in LV.

But since you want to bring up meritocracy, he was a FA. They had to make a decision whether to bring him back or not. They didn't want to bring him back. That was the right move. Where they messed up was in not going out and getting a better safety to replace him. But because they made a talent mistake in Dix doesn't mean they made a mistake in letting Heath go. He was a below average starting safety. It's debatable if he could beat out any of our current safeties under this new coaching staff. And even if he could have beaten out, say Thompson, he wasn't a good enough starting safety to make much of a difference here anyway.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is not better than anyone we have now. Woods, is, and was, better. And Woods isn't even that good himself but he was better than Heath. WIlson, as he gets his feet wet, probably would be no worse than Heath. And Heath was a hitter? For two straight years he was one of the worst tackling safeties in football.

They play different safety positions. Woods is a free safety. Heath is a strong safety. So, if you don't even know that much, i'm done trying trying to convince you. Your assertion about his tackling is without basis.

Sydla

Reaction score
They play different safety positions. Woods is a free safety. Heath is a strong safety. So, if you don't even know that much, i'm done trying trying to convince you. Your assertion about his tackling is without basis.

Football Outsiders from May 2019:

The weak link on Dallas' defense last season was the secondary, especially at safety. Jeff Heath allowed the second-most broken tackles a year ago and isn't much better at coverage.

From another Football Outsiders article from Feb of 2019:

Jeff Heath can not tackle. We noted last year in this space that Heath had more missed tackles (11) than defeats (six). The problem got worse in 2018, as Heath's 22 broken tackles were the second-most allowed in the league. Heath just isn't a starting-caliber strong safety; he's a quality special teams player who has been promoted beyond his skill set.

PFF also had him ranked as one of the worst tackling safeties in 2018, although he rebounded in 2019.

And I know Heath played SS for us at the end of his career. But they also, previously, tried him at FS too and he wasn't good at either spot. Under a new regime, it's not a given he'd have beaten out anyone for the SS spot (or the FS spot). He barely was playing in Las Vegas before they got hit with the injury bug. Lamenting his loss is easily one of the most peculiar things thus far in 2020.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Heath wasnt all pro, but he always played hard , and was a decent player.
1 more int and he has double what our team has lol.

Witten also had a td pass to help win a game, so they are doing ok with gruden, and they dont play a lot of snaps.

I watched parts of that raider game, and they looked good, carr had one of the best long pass plays I have seen in long time.
Threw it in front of the guy so he could run to it.

Fredbeard

Reaction score
Ill never understand this bizarre man crush some members of this board have on Jeff heath.A few weeks ago, people were missing Anthony Hitchens. Next week people will start talking up Nick Hayden . This board sometimes :rolleyes:

Sydla

Reaction score
Ill never understand this bizarre man crush some members of this board have on Jeff heath.A few weeks ago, people were missing Anthony Hitchens. Next week people will start talking up Nick Hayden . This board sometimes :rolleyes:

I am out when they start screaming to bring back Chaz Green.

dwreck27

Reaction score
Pathetic that a dude who is a backup with the raiders would still be a sure fire starter for us

How do we fail to upgrade the position

Fredbeard

Reaction score
Quick
Someone tell Jerry to offer to trade the cowboys second round pick for Jeff heath

Westcoasthabsfan

Reaction score
He intercepted Mahomes yesterday and it was a huge interception that really helped the Raiders win the game.

Would love to have Heath back on this team.

Never got all the hate for him.

This defense needs him.
Who cares really nobody in here maybe folks on the Vegas MSG board

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Football Outsiders from May 2019:

From another Football Outsiders article from Feb of 2019:

PFF also had him ranked as one of the worst tackling safeties in 2018, although he rebounded in 2019.

And I know Heath played SS for us at the end of his career. But they also, previously, tried him at FS too and he wasn't good at either spot. Under a new regime, it's not a given he'd have beaten out anyone for the SS spot (or the FS spot). He barely was playing in Las Vegas before they got hit with the injury bug. Lamenting his loss is easily one of the most peculiar things thus far in 2020.

You can't throw stats at Jeff Heath fans.

He's Santa Claus. He's Big Foot. He's aliens. They just believe in him and no amount of statistics or evidence will change their minds.

They probably think the only reason Jeff Heath isn't starting for the Raiders is that he is off fighting terrorism and cancer at the beginning of games.

Loso86

Reaction score
Oh I remember and I was one of those happy to see him go. However, you don't fix a trashbin with another trashbin.

Right now he would be a better alternative than Tompson. Who is nothing more than camp fodder IMO.
I agree, but at the moment Dix was an upgrade or slightly better. We NEED to draft better there

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The stupidity on this board astounds me sometimes.

Irony.

Jeff Heath. 5 tackles all year, playing in 19% of defensive snaps for the Raiders. He was only in the game because both Lamarcus Joyner and Erik Harris were hurt. He is their 4th best Safety, which is what he would be for every NFL team not named the Dallas Cowboys.

Fan Boy Legend.

lostar2009

Reaction score
No......I actually like Jeff Heath i thought he played hard and gave it his best

But.....Jeff Heath makes one clutch play every 4 weeks and the rest of the time has issues with coverage

This so true. I recall the Packers game. Heath turn into a ball hawk. But all season long he was so so. But heck the safeties we got now are not as good.

J12B

Reaction score
Irony.

Jeff Heath. 5 tackles all year, playing in 19% of defensive snaps for the Raiders. He was only in the game because both Lamarcus Joyner and Erik Harris were hurt. He is their 4th best Safety, which is what he would be for every NFL team not named the Dallas Cowboys.

Fan Boy Legend.

Just because they have 2 other good safeties doesn't mean Heath isn't good. They have depth at the position.

Raiders obviously thought he was a player worth having when they signed him to $4 million a year.

The stupidity on this board continues to astound me.

Sydla

Reaction score
Just because they have 2 other good safeties doesn't mean Heath isn't good. They have depth at the position.

Raiders obviously thought he was a player worth having when they signed him to $4 million a year.

The stupidity on this board continues to astound me.

He was their 4th safety by snap counts.

He’s not a good starting S. He’s just a decent backup. I am stunned people think otherwise.