Twitter: Jerry addresses RB situation

phildadon86

Reaction score
They tried RB by committee the year after letting D. Murray walk (2015) and it worked so well that they drafted Zeke the next year in the top 5.

But hey the Cowboys organization has shown us over the last 28/29 years that doing it their way works.
Yeah it was almost as good as WR by committee that they had to trade for cooper

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
The fact people don’t see this is hilarious.

Do you want him to come out and say, “yeah we’re taking a RB next so any other teams, feel free to jump us if you need one to”

Like honestly people.
Jerry does not play games like that ....... he tells people exactly what he is thinking ...... I do not know why after 30+years people expect him to suddenly become a poker player.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We will also bring in undrafted free agents who are hungry. This was not the best running back class. We improved our offensive line and run defense. I consider that a successful draft so far.
I think we have had a good draft so far. You never really know for at least a year or two. I do think the trade down at 24 was good and drafting lineman has been good. They still need a RB.

The problem is when you have zero Invested in free agency, everything rests on the draft and current player development. It is not a modern approach to building a top roster In the NFL cap era.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes you would but Jerry didn't say that........he said Zeke still has some starting RB1 CAPABILITIES and he does ( short yards, chain mover, pass protector ( something rare to expect from a rookie), and pass catcher. Jerrys say some dumb things at times, I agree but there's nothing wrong with this statement. There are some ways Zeke can still help this offense. I think Jerry has lost so much credibility with the fan base that they are trashing ANYTHING coming out of his mouth.
Here are Zeke’s stats from last yr with the pats that make it clear he’s lost his “starter qualities”…
  • His 3.5 yards per carry was tied for the worst in the NFL last year..
  • He ranked 32nd in missed tackles forced,
  • He ranked 29th in yards after contact per attempt
  • He ranked 34th in explosive runs (carries of 10 or more yards)
Those are not NFL RB1 “starter qualities”. Could he contribute as a role player? Like maybe 5 carries a game? Maybe. RB1? Please.

MikeT22

Reaction score
this is what I believe also which sucks as a player. Jerry should have fired McCarthy and cleaned house after the stinker vs the packers in a HOME playoff game. Instead we just seem to be going with the current until his contract expires (after next season). And then probably let Dak go too. And who knows what we will do with Ceedee and Micah. We can't have everyone commanding top dollar.
Yep, zero reason to bring back MM just for one more yr on his contract. And then when they had to replace the DC they have him a one yr deal.

Dumb and dumber in the FO

Chasing6

Reaction score
Here are Zeke’s stats from last yr with the pats that make it clear he’s lost his “starter qualities”…
  • His 3.5 yards per carry was tied for the worst in the NFL last year..
  • He ranked 32nd in missed tackles forced,
  • He ranked 29th in yards after contact per attempt
  • He ranked 34th in explosive runs (carries of 10 or more yards)
Those are not NFL RB1 “starter qualities”. Could he contribute as a role player? Like maybe 5 carries a game? Maybe. RB1? Please.
We are not looking for RB1. We are going to a committee.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If this was being said by some sad behind the times fantasy football player we would all laugh and shake our heads. This is being said by an NFL General Manager. With a straight face.

If jerry was right half as much as he thinks , we would have a few more rings. Once again , we fail to recognize team weaknesses and soberly assess the roster.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I will be the last to ever defend Jerry but this draft is weak at RB and the way it played out the pick just wasn’t there. I’d been OK with taking one of Benson or Brooks in the second round over the DE project with minimal college production.
I’d have taken Lloyd late in the 3rd.

visionary

Reaction score
Packers, you know the team that beat us?

RBs: Jacobs, Dillon, Lloyd

Cowboys RBs: Dowdle, Vaughn

Yep, im not worried