Jerry Expects No Elliot vs NYG

Discussion in 'Overtime Zone' started by GenoT, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

38,667 Messages
    56,158 Likes Received
    But if we start losing games because it's clear Dak needs Elliott............... oh boy.

These first 2-4 games are going to be very, very interesting.

2. doomsday9084

doomsday9084 Well-Known Member

284 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    This is really an untenable situation for everyone. Zeke's agent can't take less than what Dallas has already offered him. If he blows this deal up then he will never get another client. He basically has to either get Dallas to cave or get Zeke to a different team.

OTOH, Jerry is getting poked in the eye really hard. If he plays hardball with someone, it helps his other negotiations both present and future. Beyond that, if the team does well sans Zeke and the team moves him, it frees up a ton of money for others. Jerry really can't cave and has some pressure to walk back what he has already offered.

Those that are saying Zeke is done as a Cowboy might be right.

I'm not even sure what gets done though. He is under contract for two more years. A team trading for him would have to give Dallas something of value AND pay Zeke the outrageous contract he wants. Quite frankly, Jerry should point out just how screwed Zeke is by telling his agent to find a team that is willing to trade for him.

3. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

38,667 Messages
    56,158 Likes Received
    I'll say this............... there is a very small silver lining here.

We get to see Dak without Elliott. If Dak truly is this ascending, developing QB that is on the cusp of being one of the greats in football and deserving of a massive, Top 3ish contract.............. then there should be no excuses for his performances starting the year.

But if he and the offense struggle, it feeds the notion that he needs Elliott. And in that case, the Cowboys might be foolish paying him what he wants.

jwitten82, Pukindog and jwooten15 like this.
  4. ElGatoGrande

ElGatoGrande EGG

7,633 Messages
    4,373 Likes Received
    Hopefully Zeke wakes up, fires his management team and accepts the generous offer. Then he can blame the whole thing on his agent or Faulk,,, his teammates will have a reason to like him again.

Cas2800, Hawkeye19 and jwooten15 like this.
  5. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

5,811 Messages
    2,238 Likes Received
    What is this weird mysterious plan to have him come in at the end of the season? Or is that just them being hopeful he just shows up for the accrued season to FA?

ActualCowboysFan likes this.
  6. Hawkeye19

Hawkeye19 Well-Known Member

2,997 Messages
    7,252 Likes Received
    Zeke is one screw up away from a lifetime ban... is that truly a player you want to give a ton of guranteed money to?

He wants to be paid like he is the best RB in the NFL. He wants more guranteed money than Gurley. Are those demands reasonable?

IMO— there are other factors to consider with him besides just his on field production. IMO... Zeke is not in my long term future plans. We take a step down at RB for sure— BUT, as you point out, there is more flexibility to sign other players, we no longer have to worry about his off field issues, AND we discourage future hold outs by playing hardball with an entitled, unreasonable player.

In short— screw Zeke. He has chosen to play hardball with a team that has done nothing but support him. He has an inflated sense of his own value, and he has diminished and minimized the impact of his negative decisions on the team.

Just not sure he is someone that I would want to commit market setting numbers to.

ChuckA1, Pukindog and lopey like this.
  7. jwooten15

jwooten15 Well-Known Member

6,567 Messages
    15,114 Likes Received
    Jerry's soured on Zeke and I think it's so great. Loyalty means so much to Jerry - and Zeke has shown none, despite Jerry going to bat for him time after time.

Cool. Let him sit all he wants.

8. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

9,615 Messages
    4,986 Likes Received
    Zeke who, let the bum sit out

Pukindog and jwooten15 like this.
  9. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

3,515 Messages
    4,468 Likes Received
    Hopefully he’s traded! Just get rid of him! POS

10. Bullet22

Bullet22 Active Member

934 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    There will always be someone to replace you...but I would bet he is signed before the 1st game..

Vanilla2 and GenoT like this.
  11. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

12,585 Messages
    12,163 Likes Received
    Good. I have Tony Pollard locked and loaded on my fantasy team

Bullet22 likes this.
  12. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

38,667 Messages
    56,158 Likes Received
    In that sense, yeah, if Elliott isn't a part of the future, it allows us to maybe spend money on Maliek and some others (I think La'el is gone).

But the flip side to this is that you only then got 3 years out of the 4th overall pick. That's just a bad return and would pretty much prove my point that taking a TB with the 4th pick was just not a very smart move.

13. GenoT

GenoT Well-Known Member

4,259 Messages
    7,166 Likes Received
    It’s a serious poker game going on.

14. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

7,982 Messages
    13,412 Likes Received
    1000% ........ my exact issue with Zeke. Wanna new deal with two years left, fine but there's a price

15. Hawkeye19

Hawkeye19 Well-Known Member

2,997 Messages
    7,252 Likes Received
    Yep... I just think the defense is going to be a real force going fwd. Is Dak going to put up elite numbers? No. But I don’t think he will need to. He protects the ball well, and with the OL coming back into form, gains at WR, and some new life out of the offensive system under Moore’s leadership— I think we win out of the gate.

The defense will keep us in most games, and Dak has already displayed his ability to be clutch and play his best ball in the 4th qtr.

Do we lose an elite RB? Yes. But if we win without Zeke... the confidence gain for this entire team grows exponentially.

Pukindog likes this.
  16. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

15,251 Messages
    13,460 Likes Received
    Damn... I hadn't even thought of that. Another baked in excuse.

17. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

19,083 Messages
    32,084 Likes Received
    :laugh:the over confidence is getting ridiculous on here. all it takes is one twisted ankle or pulled hammy from #36 and you guys will be crying for him to return.

Chocolate Lab likes this.
  18. iceberg

iceberg rock music matters Zone Supporter

33,308 Messages
    6,382 Likes Received
    nope. don't think pollard has come up in any of the drafts i've seen so far. D was drafted in a team this but it was the same guy who took dak and gallup. :)

19. IndianaCowboys1994

IndianaCowboys1994 Well-Known Member

1,031 Messages
    999 Likes Received
    Should be!!!!

20. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

10,456 Messages
    16,693 Likes Received
    Why. Did the league cancel those games and give us the win?

JayFord likes this.