News: Jerry: "I told Jason that [Romo] would be back in."

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Further, if Garrett takes this team to the play-offs, what's to say he doesn't shop the marketplace and get away from an owner who came down to the sidelines and told Jason Romo was going back in?

I've no doubt this is probably on Garrett's mind. If he gets us to the playoffs and a job like San Francisco or the Giants opens up, I think he will put out some "feelers".

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'll give it a go: You're not funny and your post suggesting that the Cowboys should have drafted Johnny "Dollar Straw" Football over Zach Martin is misguided...if you were in fact being serious, which I for the life can't imagine how you could be serious. So I'm going to have a long hearty chuckle over your wittiness. hahahahahah. I feel better now.

At least that reply was intelligible. Seriously, I don't have heartburn with drafting Martin over Manziel. I love what the O-line is doing this year. I just wish the plan for Romo's eventual replacement was more apparent. He's not taking the Cowboys to the promised land... maybe you don't see that, which would explain your opposition to a QB being drafted in the 1st round.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
If Romo stays in the locker room we would have won that game, it was a horrible decision to put him back in the game when he was struggling all night. Weedan was getting it done.

If Washington played the same defense with Tony in the game that they did with Weeden I'm quite confident Dallas would have had the game put away at half time.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
True but they saw nothing on xray to make them feel there was anything more than a deep bruise. They are not guessing they are making the examination and basing it on that. I was not shocked that it hurt like hell, he got a knee in his back that is going to be painful and he no doubt is feeling it today but it does not mean this will effect the area repaired in surgery

But XRay will only tell you if something is broken. It will not tell you anything else. You could easily be in a situation where you don't have anything broken but still have limited ability.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
I'm convinced anyone trying to argue that Weeden was a better option than Romo is on drugs.

jday

Reaction score
At least that reply was intelligible. Seriously, I don't have heartburn with drafting Martin over Manziel. I love what the O-line is doing this year. I just wish the plan for Romo's eventual replacement was more apparent. He's not taking the Cowboys to the promised land... maybe you don't see that, which would explain your opposition to a QB being drafted in the 1st round.

On the contrary, I am not in the least opposed to the Cowboys finding Romo's successor nor would I take issue with the Cowboys using a first round pick. I absolutely agree the Cowboys should address this sooner than later...based on what we saw in preseason, they may have already found him with Dustin Vaughan. Of course, we will have to see how he has progressed next year.

What I would argue is that I don't think going to the Super Bowl is beyond Romo's ability. But alot of other issues will have to get corrected before the Cowboys can get there and I don't believe the onus is squarely on Romo to do so. It is and always has been a team - which includes the coaches - effort. On this, though, we will have to agree to not agree, as I'm certain neither one of us will change the others mind.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
First I have no issue with Romo going back in. None at all.

Second I think it was more about Romo wanting to go back in, and saying he was good to go, then anything anyone else was saying. That's just my opinion.

Third regardless of the first two Jerry Jones doesn't need to be telling the HC anything about any of it.

Garrett doesn't need Jones to tell him to put in Romo, he doesn't need him to relay the information that Romo wants to play and is trying to do so. Garrett would get that information from the doctor and from Romo himself.

Jerry should have just stayed upstairs, where the owner belongs, and stayed out of it.

Plankton

Reaction score
The key word here is "If needed ....told him of course we need you". So he put Tony on the spot to be honest and knowing this I cannot blame Romo for asking to be put back.....
Jerry should have told him "No we are good .... we can handle it...we need you for Cardinals" or at least shut the **** up and let the doctors rest him...The man just had a back surgery and the season is long to put him through that again.....The man insists on making sure all his clown stuff get out there for people to grow believing he is an utter nut case of an owner

:cool:

Here's the issue - Jones shouldn't be the one communicating this to the coach - that is the training staff's job. Jones should be nothing more than an observer in this situation.

Last edited:

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
But look at Romo's body of work in those types of situations. Like I said in another comment on this thread, this is not the first time Romo has willed himself back into the game. He played through a ruptured disc last year against the Skins. And a few years ago, he played with cracked ribs and a punctured lung. That's the type of competitor he is. So Jerry didn't need to demand he be put back in the game. Garrett put that decision in the doctor's and Romo's hands, where it honestly should be. Now, I've also said it already, if it was me, I sit Romo and get out of that game as healthy as possible and live to fight another day. But my job and way of living, isn't on the line.

Of course Romo is going to want back in. I think that the majority of players in the NFL would get back into the game banged up if the coaching staff allowed them to. I give credit to Romo for his toughness and not wanting to let his team down.

Some players will try to get back into the game with a concussion if they can get away with it. That is why it's up to the coaches to protect the players from themselves. Maybe Garrett was trying to protect his job by putting Romo back in. The downside of that is if Romo got hurt worse and was out for weeks or the rest of the season than Garrett could be fired for making that decision.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'm convinced anyone trying to argue that Weeden was a better option than Romo is on drugs.

In normal circumstances or on even ground then anyone saying Weeden is a better option is crazy.

But for this particular game, given the pain Romo was in, how well Weeden was playing, and the fact that we could ride Murray and not force Weeden to win the game, he might have been the better option. For this particular situation given all that was going on during it.

That said, as I've already said, I had no issue with going back to Romo.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
But XRay will only tell you if something is broken. It will not tell you anything else. You could easily be in a situation where you don't have anything broken but still have limited ability.

true and between medical and Romo you make a choice. I'm not trying to say 1 was the right one and the other is wrong. I can't say 100% what I would do on the sideline with medical information and what Romo himself is telling me. If I make the choice it will be done by that information. Had Garrett stayed with Weeden I really would not have had an issue, then again had Weeden stayed in and Dallas lose I have 0 doubt that would have been questioned as well. When Dallas loses it is a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
true and between medical and Romo you make a choice. I'm not trying to say 1 was the right one and the other is wrong. I can't say 100% what I would do on the sideline with medical information and what Romo himself is telling me. If I make the choice it will be done by that information. Had Garrett stayed with Weeden I really would not have had an issue, then again had Weeden stayed in and Dallas lose I have 0 doubt that would have been questioned as well. When Dallas loses it is a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

I think there are two issue here. One is the actual play of Romo. The second is the risk you are willing to take on his injury situation. Two very different conversations. I was not in favor of it, but as I said before, it's done now.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
In normal circumstances or on even ground then anyone saying Weeden is a better option is crazy.

But for this particular game, given the pain Romo was in, how well Weeden was playing, and the fact that we could ride Murray and not force Weeden to win the game, he might have been the better option. For this particular situation given all that was going on during it.

That said, as I've already said, I had no issue with going back to Romo.

How do you know how much pain Romo was in?

He was hurt, went to the back, settled down, got a shot and by all accounts was fine to resume playing.

Given the fact that we threw it twice at the goal line with Weeden as soon as he came in, I have no reason to believe we were going to "ride Murray and not force Weeden to win the game". The coaching staff went off the reservation last night with their play calling.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
How do you know how much pain Romo was in?

He was hurt, went to the back, settled down, got a shot and by all accounts was fine to resume playing.

Given the fact that we threw it twice at the goal line with Weeden as soon as he came in, I have no reason to believe we were going to "ride Murray and not force Weeden to win the game". The coaching staff went off the reservation last night with their play calling.

I'm going to make a educated guess that given the fact that he was not moving around very well, and I don't know...had to have a shot to deal with the pain that, yeah, he was probably in pain.

He's tough as hell. I've never denied that. But sometimes you have to save players from themselves as well cause sometimes their toughness, and their pride, over-rides what is possibly best for the team.

Like I've said I have no trouble with Romo going back in. He's the leader. He wanted in. They let him in. I'm fine with that.

I also can see why other people are not, and would have preferred to stay with Weeden given those circumstances. I also, just to point it out, know that Weeden lead 2 drives for 10 points, including the only screen play that I recall to combat that blitz, in his very limited time while Romo was getting hammered by the blitz and only put up 7 points.

This isn't about Romo vs. Weeden because Romo is far and away the better QB and the best option for Dallas in 99.999% of situations.

It's just quite possibly that in this situation there is a chance that it might have been better to go with Weeden given the situation Romo was in.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think there are two issue here. One is the actual play of Romo. The second is the risk you are willing to take on his injury situation. Two very different conversations. I was not in favor of it, but as I said before, it's done now.

again you have medical people there they are checking him out if they felt he was at a big risk I'm sure they would say. I don't make calls like that unless I have the full information and we don't get that in our living rooms. Are we to sit Romo any time he gets dinged up from here on out? If all this is was a bruise even a painful one then do we now sit him?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Third regardless of the first two Jerry Jones doesn't need to be telling the HC anything about any of it.

Garrett doesn't need Jones to tell him to put in Romo, he doesn't need him to relay the information that Romo wants to play and is trying to do so. Garrett would get that information from the doctor and from Romo himself.

Jerry should have just stayed upstairs, where the owner belongs, and stayed out of it.

Jerry got good news on Romo. He wanted to tell Garrett directly. Jerry was likely massively relieved to learn that Tony was alright. He wanted to share that with Garrett who he knew would also be massively relieved. I can't believe people are making an issue out of this. Clearly he wasn't telling Garrett who to play, because you'd never play Weeden if Romo was OK to go.