News: Jerry: "I told Jason that [Romo] would be back in."

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:facepalm:

For the record, I actually agree with putting Romo back in, assuming he was healthy. I'm not arguing with that, but it should be the coach's decision. Not Dr. Jerry's.

Coach Jones did make the decision. ;)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah, someone said last night that Romo was being selfish. I didn't understand that at all. Of course, Romo was being selfish. If you're a player and you have the confidence to think you can win the game, I would expect you to want to get back in the game. I would think less of Romo if he didn't. It reminds me of what Michael Irvin said. Some guys, they don't want the ball in crunch time. They're too scared to make a mistake or shrink in the limelight. I think we assume that players who play in the NFL all want to be winners and all have that killer instinct, but they don't. Some are in the NFL because they have the talent to be there. Some want the money. Some are JAGs. And then some burn to make the plays. They want to be in the game at the crucial moment when you have to make a play and millions of eyes are watching you.
If Romo is that kind of guy, he doesn't just sit out of the game because fans think he's being too selfish. The coach, however? That's another matter. It's the coaches job to say, "You're done" if the coach feels the player shouldn't go back in. That's Garrett's job, not Romo's. It is the COACH who should protect the player from himself, not the player who burns to win but may be to subjective and competitive to realize he should sit out.

1st off in my mind if Romo was selfish he could have sat during the 9ers game and came out of the skins game last season when he 1st felt the pain and just said I'm getting my paycheck regardless but Romo is willing to put himself on the line for his team. He has never used the injuries or pain as an excuse and I know from when I played when guys like Romo and Witten are willing to go out and play despite the fact everyone knows how much they hurt it speaks volumes of the dedication these men have for the game and their team and as a teammate would only make me want to work harder for guys like that.

As for Garrett he based his views on what the report was and on Romo himself and yes he made the choice to go with his starting QB right or wrong. Had Romo and this team been able to pull the game out no one would have been upset. Dallas lost so now we get to question any and all.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
1st off in my mind if Romo was selfish he could have sat during the 9ers game and came out of the skins game last season when he 1st felt the pain and just said I'm getting my paycheck regardless but Romo is willing to put himself on the line for his team. He has never used the injuries or pain as an excuse and I know from when I played when guys like Romo and Witten are willing to go out and play despite the fact everyone knows how much they hurt it speaks volumes of the dedication these men have for the game and their team and as a teammate would only make me want to work harder for guys like that.

As for Garrett he based his views on what the report was and on Romo himself and yes he made the choice to go with his starting QB right or wrong. Had Romo and this team been able to pull the game out no one would have been upset. Dallas lost so now we get to question any and all.

On the other hand, had Romo been seriously injured on the very first pass play, which lets admit, he did get hit on, everybody would be taking scalps. You have to acknowledge both sides of it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

I still would have questioned it because Romo is older, already has had back surgery and can't be putting himself in harm's way like that. That's my major concern. Weeden was playing pretty well. Romo was getting beat up. And we need him down the stretch.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Several things.

Weeden was 4 of 6 and throwing a laser beam. he had a hot hand In Tony's post game interview he stated there are times when you know if you can play or not and he knew he could tough out the pain.

Tony is the reason this team does what it dpoes, but in this case. Weeden was the correct call and Jerry made his position clear.

This was a mistake putting Romo back in.

Further, if Garrett takes this team to the play-offs, what's to say he doesn't shop the marketplace and get away from an owner who came down to the sidelines and told Jason Romo was going back in?

Weeden is not Romo. But at the time he may have been better than the hurting Romo.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
On the other hand, had Romo been seriously injured on the very first pass play, which lets admit, he did get hit on, everybody would be taking scalps. You have to acknowledge both sides of it.

True but they based on the examination they got in the locker room. It was a knee to the back and very likely it is what is being reported a bruise and as Romo said after the game that would be hurting even if he did not have the operation. They saw no structural damage so they made their choice. Again not saying right or wrong but then no more right or wrong that letting him play vs the 9ers yet no one was objecting to that. Why because Dallas won and had Dallas won last night few if any would be questioning it today

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I still would have questioned it because Romo is older, already has had back surgery and can't be putting himself in harm's way like that. That's my major concern. Weeden was playing pretty well. Romo was getting beat up. And we need him down the stretch.

Fair enough, I had question about it as well. As you said Weeden was looking sharp. All I can say had I been on the sideline getting the information from medical and the player I can't say that I could not be persuaded to change my view but it would be based on those involved.

jday

Reaction score
I understand your point. We can't prove Jerry Jones said put Romo back in. But let's be real. If your boss says, "The doctor says nothing's wrong with Romo, and he can play" are you NOT going to think there's a suggestion in that statement, especially when this isn't the normal way such information is passed on to coaches during a game?

Speaking for my self, if my boss said that and took his precious time to relay that information to me, I'm reading something into it. And I think many people would also.

The thing is, this is nothing new. Romo has played with cracked ribs and a punctured lung before. And even in that condition, he still gave the Cowboys the best chance to win. I don't think it really mattered to Garrett what message Jones was trying to convey, if he was in fact trying to talk to Garrett in code, which I doubt. If Romo is healthy enough to play, Garrett is going to let him play. Why not? He's the starter for good reason.

Had it been me, the guy whose job and way of life is not on the line, I would have let Romo sit and taken the loss if need be to make sure Romo is at 100% against the Cardinals. But, like I said before, this is not the first time Garrett has allowed Romo to go back into game under questionable injury circumstances. I honestly think Garrett put the decision in the doctor's and Romo's hands. The doctor confirmed no serious structural damage and Romo wanted to give it go. In my mind, Jerry was simply passing the message of what Romo and the doctor told him. Nothing to see here.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
If Romo stays in the locker room we would have won that game, it was a horrible decision to put him back in the game when he was struggling all night. Weedan was getting it done.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The thing is, this is nothing new. Romo has played with cracked ribs and a punctured lung before. And even in that condition, he still gave the Cowboys the best chance to win. I don't think it really mattered to Garrett what message Jones was trying to convey, if he was in fact trying to talk to Garrett in code, which I doubt. If Romo is healthy enough to play, Garrett is going to let him play. Why not? He's the starter for good reason.

Had it been me, the guy whose job and way of life is not on the line, I would have let Romo sit and taken the loss if need be to make sure Romo is at 100% against the Cardinals. But, like I said before, this is not the first time Garrett has allowed Romo to go back into game under questionable injury circumstances. I honestly think Garrett put the decision in the doctor's and Romo's hands. The doctor confirmed no serious structural damage and Romo wanted to give it go. In my mind, Jerry was simply passing the message of what Romo and the doctor told him. Nothing to see here.

Fair enough. I'm just offering a different perspective. But I don't know either. It's water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. He came back in. We loss. Time to move on and beat the Cardinals.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Fair enough, I had question about it as well. As you said Weeden was looking sharp. All I can say had I been on the sideline getting the information from medical and the player I can't say that I could not be persuaded to change my view but it would be based on those involved.

Fair enough. :)

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Your wasting your time. Unfortunately, especially in the shadow of a loss like that, people will believe what they want to believe and they will blame who they want to blame and no amount of logical reasons or presentation of actual facts will sway their minds. The good news is all the Cowboys have to do is win to make these anti-Jerry/Garrett/Romo posters go away or at the very least hibernate until the next disappointing loss - then they will be back with more nonsensical conspiracy theories and ideas to put up a billboard advertisement asking Jerry the GM to resign.

Well even if Jerry didn't directly demand for Jason to put Romo back in it still sounds like he could be suggesting to put Romo back in. I can see why some people would think that. Jerry has been criticized for trying to have too much control over some situations as GM. So thinking that he would make suggestions on Romo is not far fetched.

tideh20heel

Reaction score
Didn't Tony himself say that the nature of his back was going to allow him to throw the ball better on some days than others? He clearly did not have the same zip on his passes that he had against the Giants. Throw in a knee to the back and an absolute befuddlement in diagnosing blitzes and it was just not his night. Even if we won with Weeden no sane person was going to be calling for him to start long term. On this night however it was pretty obivious that Romo was the third best qb on the field.

jday

Reaction score
Please tell me you know the difference between "your" and "you're"... and then use them appropriately. I'm joking, wasn't that funny.

I'll give it a go: You're not funny and your post suggesting that the Cowboys should have drafted Johnny "Dollar Straw" Football over Zach Martin is misguided...if you were in fact being serious, which I can't imagine how you could be serious. So I'm going to have a long hearty chuckle over your wittiness. hahahahahah. I feel better now.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
True but they based on the examination they got in the locker room. It was a knee to the back and very likely it is what is being reported a bruise and as Romo said after the game that would be hurting even if he did not have the operation. They saw no structural damage so they made their choice. Again not saying right or wrong but then no more right or wrong that letting him play vs the 9ers yet no one was objecting to that. Why because Dallas won and had Dallas won last night few if any would be questioning it today

I don't agree. The 49ers game was before the back surgery. That's a big factor in any injury evaluation on Romo.

jday

Reaction score
Well even if Jerry didn't directly demand for Jason to put Romo back in it still sounds like he could be suggesting to put Romo back in. I can see why some people would think that. Jerry has been criticized for trying to have too much control over some situations as GM. So thinking that he would make suggestions on Romo is not far fetched.

But look at Romo's body of work in those types of situations. Like I said in another comment on this thread, this is not the first time Romo has willed himself back into the game. He played through a ruptured disc last year against the Skins. And a few years ago, he played with cracked ribs and a punctured lung. That's the type of competitor he is. So Jerry didn't need to demand he be put back in the game. Garrett put that decision in the doctor's and Romo's hands, where it honestly should be. Now, I've also said it already, if it was me, I sit Romo and get out of that game as healthy as possible and live to fight another day. But my job and way of living, isn't on the line.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't agree. The 49ers game was before the back surgery. That's a big factor in any injury evaluation on Romo.

True but they saw nothing on xray to make them feel there was anything more than a deep bruise. They are not guessing they are making the examination and basing it on that. I was not shocked that it hurt like hell, he got a knee in his back that is going to be painful and he no doubt is feeling it today but it does not mean this will effect the area repaired in surgery