Jerry: "If we got em talking about us then we're doing our job"

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why Jerry believes he has to carnival bark at this stage is beyond me.
It is because he believes he is a football genius. What people should get themselves beyond is projecting their Uncle Jerry onto Jerry Jones. Jones does not think like someone they know would think.

It should be kept in mind Jones, the owner, was the recipient of three Super Bowl championships within seven years of purchasing an NFL franchise. From scratch. What happened was a unique, atypical NFL series of events before and after they occurred.

Combine that supreme feat with the Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrining him. The honor was primarily an acknowledgment of his unquestionable, highly lucrative, financial achievements for the league as a whole, but the recognition was bestowed upon an individual who does not separate ownership from general managership. Those two organizational titles are two distinct things for onlookers. They are the exact same to him. Thus, his way of running the team as its GM was self-validation from a body of premier judges of professional football who best 'know' the sport above everyone else.

Jones carnival barks in order to appease his self-qualification for optimally running his business. Jones carnival barks in order to self-satisfy his narcissism also. Both viewpoints are one and the same to him. How Jones thinks is better understood accepting he does not see any difference, despite the differences others clearly see and comprehend.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all need to boycott this team. Don't go to a single game. Let it just be full of the opposing teams fans. Maybe he'll learn then. This is disgusting. You can hear the evil in his voice.
But yet the ones calling for this are always in here spreading the negativity. So those should take that advice and stop posting. As that is also what Jerry wants...people talking / posting about the team.
Take a stand on what you posted.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Any publicity at all -- positive or negative is Jerry's idea of confirmation that the Dallas FO has been a success. :facepalm:

Evidently, Jerry and Stephen should be ignored to get the message across that they've failed miserably at their duties.

As long as the money keeps rolling in, those turkeys will be perfectly content to keep things as they are now. It's awful.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I wonder if we will exceed peak Al Davis levels of dysfunction. Perhaps we are already there.

khiladi

Reaction score
I mean what Jerry is saying spans across the whole NFL, especially with revenue-sharing. Taylor Swift adding money to the Chiefs pocket, adds it across the board. It's even more true in the NBA. Why would a small-market team care about luxury tax and winning, when they aren't going to pull in enough revenue to pay their players? It's better for them to tank and hit on a rookie deal and get some interest and let him go in free-agency. It's what the Pelicans eventually did with Anthony Davis. They'd rather have more interest in a team like the Lakers, because their local TV deal dwarfs what a small market does. And that revenue is shared.

J_Allen

Reaction score
But yet the ones calling for this are always in here spreading the negativity. So those should take that advice and stop posting. As that is also what Jerry wants...people talking / posting about the team.
Take a stand on what you posted.
Sorry. We all need to go out and buy as much Cowboys merchandise as we can over these next several months and attend games. We're very close to the Super Bowl and I'm so glad McCarthy is coming back.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry. We all need to go out and buy as much Cowboys merchandise as we can over these next several months and attend games. We're very close to the Super Bowl and I'm so glad McCarthy is coming back.
:laugh:
Well I wouldn't go that far. Not buying anything. But that is because I do not want or need anything team related.

J_Allen

Reaction score
:laugh:
Well I wouldn't go that far. Not buying anything. But that is because I do not want or need anything team related.

That's all right, I'll buy it for you. I'm going to Academy right now and clearing out the entire Cowboys section. I'm sure it's on clearance anyway.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's all right, I'll buy it for you. I'm going to Academy right now and clearing out the entire Cowboys section. I'm sure it's on clearance anyway.
Speaking of clearance. I have not been to the Cowboys distribution center for 5 or 6 years, maybe 7. They have a small store there with clearance items.
Just curious to see if any current players jerseys there. May be a telling sign. :muttley:

It is about 9 or 10 miles from me.

links18

Reaction score
Jerry most definitely gets it .. and a lot of the media gets it .. but a lot of Cowboys fans don't get it.

Jerry's priority is popularity because popularity generates revenue and increase valuations.

Jerry wants to win, but only as a byproduct, not as the priority.
How does not prioritizing winning help market valuation? Wouldn't it increase valuations to be a consistent championship competitor? Jerry and Stephen's "we like our guys" roster (mis)management just comes off as petty penny pinching in the grand scheme of things. The only rationale is that they want to have winning seasons without going through the cycle of cap problems and rebuilding that comes with the spending that builds a championship roster. But as several teams have shown recently, you can go through that cycle multiple times in the time we have been mired in consistent mediocrity.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
You're right my furry friend.

Most will forget about how they feel right now and start drinkin' the secret sauce as always.

I quit 20 years ago, I don't even get mad anymore. No more smokin' 2 packs a game, changing shirts, changing seats, knocking of wood, or smacking the wife anymore.

I feel a lot better these days and my wife has only whooped me a few times in the last 20 years.
My wife asks me every Dallas game who I'm pulling for. I just laugh and say, "I'm just watching the crap, I don't expect anything"

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am 100% certain, that Jerry would not have lasted more than 5 years as a GM on any other team.
We are doomed with him and I just hope those of you who are still delusional, do not suffer and get over hyped
I was say five years minimum and seven years max. The clock starts ticking after the exorcism of his 'disobedient', two-time defending Super Bowl winning head coach and fully realizing his inner desire to be seen as The Man. His GM resume would be:

Year One - 1994 season: Team lost NFC Championship game
Year Two - 1995 season: Team won Super Bowl

~His job performance as GM begins spiraling downward at this point~

Year Three - 1996 season: Team loses NFC Divisional appearance
Year Four - 1997 season: Team misses playoffs with losing record
Year Five - 1998 season: Team wins division but loses Wild Card appearance

~It should be noted the team improved somewhat in the fifth year of his contract, which might have bought himself a limited extension to fully reverse the teams' heading~

Year Six - 1999 season: Team finishes .500, second in division and loses Wild Card appearance

~That might be enough for the final nail in his coffin but if one more year can be squeezed into his extension~

Year Seven - 2000 season: Team finishes below .500 and out of the playoffs for the second time during his tenure

Five to seven years. Tops. And this guy has denied himself the self-gratification of hiring new sets of eyes and perspective to get exactly what he wants.

Narcissism. It is a helluva drug self-indulgence.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Speaking of clearance. I have not been to the Cowboys distribution center for 5 or 6 years, maybe 7. They have a small store there with clearance items.
Just curious to see if any current players jerseys there. May be a telling sign. :muttley:

It is about 9 or 10 miles from me.
I had no idea they had a distribution center but it makes sense. You know sales have to be down. How big is the place?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nobody would have ever hired Jerry to be GM because he had no qualifications for the job. 28 years later has just proven it beyond all shadow of a doubt.
That is a good point from a 1989 perspective but not necessarily from a 1994 one, after he divorced himself from Jimmy Johnson. Let's pretend for a moment Jerry Jones was not the owner but someone who Johnson hired as an intern under him (which is not far from the truth). Jones could have pulled a Jason Garrett job searching before the 1995 season, thrown together a weak resume--mainly highlighted by whatever 'skills' he learned on the fly watching Johnson, and presented it to a gullible owner. The guy does have a propensity of being able to talk himself out of a mayonnaise jar. Bam. Hired. Then failed in short order afterwards.

Yeah. Reading that reminds me of something Sergeant Murtaugh said in Lethal Weapon: "That's pretty <expletive> thin." :laugh: