Jerry Jones has more leverage than the media and fans think he has

Chasing6

Reaction score
Jerry said it himself in the pre-draft press conference, that is how they saw it. I am not saying it is a good thing. I am saying that's their logic.

He spoke during the team's pre-draft press conference about what it means to add Lance to the team. "When we made the trade for Lance, you know these quarterbacks go early. When there's a need for them, they go earlier than you think they should. When we were able to use a fourth-round pick, where we were able to get depth. To have Trey Lance sitting there right now, our cup runneth over when you add [Lance and Cooper Rush] to Dak."
Jerry is a salesman. He is glad you are still buying it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yea, these last 10-15 years maybe longer with Jethro well into his 90’s as GM and ugly face of our franchise is going to get even uglier if we need him to continue trying to rebuild .
Winning the Division is our SB with GM Jethro.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Dak has leverage over Jerry period. Dak is comfortable walking away from the Cowboys. Jerry will be embarrassed when it happens.

CD currently has no leverage. The reason Jerry has no urgency. CD is under contract and can be tagged next year. CD will play this year with or without a new contract.

Jerry is not ok with the consequences. Jerry wants to hang out at the rim. These consequences will not even get him in the gym.

If Jerry does not sign Dak, then there was leverage both ways. If Jerry just had to have Dak, then he would just sign him to whatever amount (and contract clauses) Dak would agree to. This idea that Dak is just not going to sign (for any amount) with Dallas because he wants to play with another team is silly childish stuff.

stiletto

Reaction score
Jerry is a salesman. He is glad you are still buying it.
Like I said, I am not saying it was a great thing to do or that their logic is sound but it is what they did and talked themselves into doing.

You are just mad because you don't like Jerry. I am just presenting you facts. Money/years mean nothing. Their logic was Lance was still young and not that expensive. They threw a dart and if they hit on a future QB at the low price and low draft pick they gave up it is a win-win. If not they don't lose that much in the big scheme of things. Trey is their 2024 4th round pick. (In the braintrusts eyes)

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
JJ wins either way, if Prescot tanks then JJ wins because the Cowboys aren't out a half of billion dollars. If the Cowboys get JJ another SB trophy JJ wins. He says thanks, but no thanks to Prescot and he saves a half a billion dollars.
What if Dak plays well and the Cowboys don’t win the Super Bowl, like last season? That’s a more likely scenario than the Two you indicated. Who “wins” then?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
If Jerry does not sign Dak, then there was leverage both ways. If Jerry just had to have Dak, then he would just sign him to whatever amount (and contract clauses) Dak would agree to. This idea that Dak is just not going to sign (for any amount) with Dallas because he wants to play with another team is silly childish stuff.
again having the ability to say no is not leverage..leverage is having an advantage in negotiations that swing in your favor...being able to say no is not leverage its being the boss or owner..if Jerry had something that would make Dak sign a contract team friendly THAT is leverage letting Dak walk is just a decision...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Our ownership has been very fortunate this era Romo and Prescott basically fell into their lap. Otherwise we’d of been more of a bottom tier team.

Remember the QB’s we were considering drafting like Lynch and Manziel. And the highest pick we’ve used in 21st Century for a QB with Quincy.

I understand Romo and Prescott aren’t Elite but they have at least kept us in contention to build around which is definition of a Franchise QB.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
and after that GB loss... how do you know Jerry isnt comfortable letting Dak walk? So people say, well then why didnt youjust trade him?

You do know Dak has a no trade clause? How would this season go if Dak knew Jerry was trying to work a dea? Not good. So maybe jerry is perfectly content to just let Dak play out this season. If he stinks, Jerry says bye bye. If Dak takes us to NFC title game, Jerry is fine paying 60-63 per season.

Dak isnt the only one with leverage.
Dak has options, not leverage. If Jerry has a set amount he is willing to pay, he has leverage.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not making an assumption. daks motives are irrelevant. he just has leverage. i'm sure he'd love to stay in dallas, but given that he has unprecedented leverage it's easier to press the issue.

and again in the "fresh start" scenario you're presenting, that's making the best of a bad situation. it's clearly not the desired outcome. but lets say that it is, that's still not leverage because daks worst case scenario is entering a historic bidding war
Leverage before a deal is done is based on perception of advantages, so Dak's interests are a big factor in that.

If he is completely okay with moving on from the Cowboys, that improves his leverage.

If the Cowboys are completely over with moving on from Dak, that improves their leverage.

As a fan, you are assuming the Cowboys want/need Dak more than Dak wants/needs the Cowboys, but that's an assumption or opinion rather than a fact.

The truth is it's quite possible Jerry is actually okay with moving on from Dak in 2025, and not as a coping reaction but a proactive action, so he is making a "take it or leave it" offer while not caring what Dak does.

It's also quite possible Dak wants to move on from the Cowboys so he is telling the Cowboys you either meet all of my demands or I walk and he is okay with either of those happening.

I think both sides have leverage, which I have stated from the start. I just think Jerry has more than people give him credit for. (Note: I did not say more than Dak because again, that's perception based on assumptions/opinions).

Chasing6

Reaction score
Like I said, I am not saying it was a great thing to do or that their logic is sound but it is what they did and talked themselves into doing.

You are just mad because you don't like Jerry. I am just presenting you facts. Money/years mean nothing. Their logic was Lance was still young and not that expensive. They threw a dart and if they hit on a future QB at the low price and low draft pick they gave up it is a win-win. If not they don't lose that much in the big scheme of things. Trey is their 2024 4th round pick.
Let me remind you GM Jethro 100% made this decision on his own. Ask yourself why?

The facts are we gave a 4th and $5.3M in cap space to the team we are supposedly trying to catch up to. The Niners had no concerns trading Trance to the Cowboys.

To recap we lost a 4th, they gained a 4th.
We lost $5.3M, they gained $5.3M

So we have them basically a 2 4th round pick advantage and an extra $10.6M.

Maybe Jerry should sleep at a Holiday Inn.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak has options, not leverage. If Jerry has a set amount he is willing to pay, he has leverage.
Dak has leverage, there is no question. I think both sides have leverage.

The only question will be which side has the most leverage and we won't know that until after a deal is done or not done.

If the Cowboys are truly okay with moving on from Dak, then letting him finish out this season gives them a reset year and a chance for a fresh start in 2025 with new coaches and a lot more salary cap space. That gives the Cowboys leverage.

If the Cowboys won't offer Dak a contract extension this year, several other NFL teams will line up to pay (or even overpay) him in 2025. That gives Dak leverage.

The amount of leverage though is hard to define because we don't know how badly (if at all) Dallas wants Dak back in 2025.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
it really doesnt matter in the long run because this FO has shown it can not build a SB team...until the FO changes playoff dump with the current players....playoff dump with new players..only the names will change..
yawn

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I prefer Dak to go play for a real organization.

I am a Cowboys fan. I am a fan of multiple players on our team. There are some players I don't like.

I can't stand GM Jethro.

Do you see the owner of the Niners anywhere?

The Cowboys are turning into the TV show Dallas in the 80's. That show only lasted for 14 years. If we could only be so lucky.
You used to see Eddi D all the time.

By the way, the mighty niners have gone longer with no championship than Dallas has.
But, but, but..i dont give 1 damn. NO TITLE since 1994. Thats all that counts.
The ighty niners have their starting LT holding out and a very talented WR demanding a trade. Spare me how great they are.

stiletto

Reaction score
Let me remind you GM Jethro 100% made this decision on his own. Ask yourself why?

The facts are we gave a 4th and $5.3M in cap space to the team we are supposedly trying to catch up to. The Niners had no concerns trading Trance to the Cowboys.

To recap we lost a 4th, they gained a 4th.
We lost $5.3M, they gained $5.3M

So we have them basically a 2 4th round pick advantage and an extra $10.6M.

Maybe Jerry should sleep at a Holiday Inn.
I get it but I don't think you are trying to understand "their" logic.

You draft a QB in the 1st round, it could cost a lot more than $5.3M. They were taking a shot that they might "get a deal". A 1st round QB (it's a fact Lance was selected in the 1st round) for a 4th. They're thinking they might not have to use a future 1st to take a guy if Lance develops but if not, they aren't really giving away much. It was a risk/reward thing.

It's what Jethro does and LOVES to do and why he got rich. They didn't care if Lance hadn't shown much, they scouted him before and liked the player. Lance by all accounts was very high on their draft board the year he came out. You can say "Jerry should retire" all you want but it's not going to happen. He will do this kind of thing and think like that until he dies.

stiletto

Reaction score
If Dak refuses any offer from Jerry, Dak has all the leverage.
What if they are making a "save face" offer just to be able to say they did? An offer they know Dak's camp likely won't accept... Meaning they don't care ultimately if Dak walks but if he accepts it at X price then it's a good deal for the team? Wouldn't they be balancing out Dak's so called leverage? i.e., We're cool if you stay at $50 million but $55 million, no thanks...

Proof

Reaction score
Leverage before a deal is done is based on perception of advantages, so Dak's interests are a big factor in that.

If he is completely okay with moving on from the Cowboys, that improves his leverage.

If the Cowboys are completely over with moving on from Dak, that improves their leverage.

As a fan, you are assuming the Cowboys want/need Dak more than Dak wants/needs the Cowboys, but that's an assumption or opinion rather than a fact.

The truth is it's quite possible Jerry is actually okay with moving on from Dak in 2025, and not as a coping reaction but a proactive action, so he is making a "take it or leave it" offer while not caring what Dak does.

It's also quite possible Dak wants to move on from the Cowboys so he is telling the Cowboys you either meet all of my demands or I walk and he is okay with either of those happening.

I think both sides have leverage, which I have stated from the start. I just think Jerry has more than people give him credit for. (Note: I did not say more than Dak because again, that's perception based on assumptions/opinions).
i don't want to keep going back and forth, but again, the outcomes for distinct. moving on from dak jerry has to find another qb and likely be a sub .500 team in his 80's. dak having to move on he likely gets 60 mil elsewhere. one of those is a far far far and away desirable situation regardless of wants.