Jerry Jones has more leverage than the media and fans think he has

stiletto

Reaction score
Sure that's why he drafted a QB.
Yep true, his name is Trey Lance. He's 24 years old and selected in the 4th round of the 2024 draft....you can cry and complain that Lance sucks all you want and maybe he does but they basically drafted Lance by trading for him.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Yep and even if we did make a deeper run in playoffs and we wanted to resign him then it’s more likely he bolts anyway. Lol

It would serve us right .That’s what I’m going to root for if we don’t resign him:)

He would get the whole brinks truck from Jerry if he wins the SB this season (as long as he’s starting and playing great). Like $230-250 guaranteed in the contract-something absurd.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it's semantics, but leverage implies having an advantageous position to coerce someone to act in your self interest instead of theirs. jerry has none on dak. dak is in probably the most advantageous positions we've seen a qb in in history.

w/ ceedee, jerry has leverage though due to having him under contract.
You are making assumptions though that Dak wants to leave Dallas and all of the sponsorship deals that he gets by being quarterback of "America's Team".

People can say what they want (and that includes Jerry, Dak and Dak's agent), but the bottom line is leverage exists for both sides.

As I posted above, it could be (for example) that Jerry has decided to move on from Dak (not saying it's true, just it's possible) so he views it as "you either take what I offer, or you can go find another team in 2025". Dak of course could do just that.

If Jerry is willing to let Dak walk in 2025, then that gives him leverage over Dak in that either Dak accepts his offer or Jerry gets what he wants with a fresh start in 2025. Dak of course has leverage because he will get a big contract with someone in 2025 if one is not worked out with the Cowboys.

As I also posted above, Lamb has leverage as well because he can sit out and pay the fines waiting for the Cowboys to lose, which hurt Jerry in many ways.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Maybe just maybe because of what Jerry and Stephen keep saying. Maybe because Jerry is negotiating.

Dak is the one that will say bye. When it happens you can believe it was Jerry's decision.

That fact that Jerry has no replacement plan, tells you all you need to know. Trance is not a plan.
We have no plan in place . This is setting up for a major collapse. Should be entertaining. Lol

And why everything points to Jethro caving. He’s very limited otherwise without folding his tent on this team and the season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He would get the whole brinks truck from Jerry if he wins the SB this season (as long as he’s starting and playing great). Like $230-250 guaranteed in the contract-something absurd.
I think Dak says adios regardless if he isn’t signed before or early in season.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Again, you are letting your emotions (especially "fandom" emotions) make assumptions that are not based on facts, but opinions.

The Cowboys can say they want Dak back in the media but they could internally have decided to move on from him in 2025. Sure, they could offer a lowball contract and if he accepts, great, but if not, so be it.

As I pointed out in my previous posts, we fans and the media simply do not have all of the information.

It's quite possible for example that the hold up with Dak is all about length of contract or something like demanding a "no trade clause" which has nothing do with money.

Both sides have leverage and whatever side someone is on they will think their side has the most.

In this case, I have no side so I really don't care who "wins" the negotiations or even if it falls through. Both sides have leverage, and likely a perception of more than they have.

As for Lamb, he has leverage because he can hold out for part of the season, pay the fines and if the Cowboys lose games, the media and fans would put pressure on Jerry every single day (especially after losses) to extend him.

Lamb's leverage in 2025 will be the amount a one-year franchise tag will cost as top receiver contracts are surpassing mid-tier quarterback contracts these days.
That post had zero emotions in it.

Any team losing a top 10 QB for a 3rd round comp pick is an embarrassment.

If you think CD will be happy with a franchise tag averaging the top 5 WR's then you have no idea what you are talking about. Jerry would be more than happy paying that next year.

CD wants to be the highest paid WR now.

Jerry has already come to the conclusion this is not a SB winning team, so he is ok with losing games. CD has zero leverage.

If he can't resign sign Dak, he needs to lose a lot of games.

Dak will get paid regardless next year and he will escape from the Big Tent Circus of Jerry World.

Chasing6

Reaction score
We have no plan in place . This is setting up for a major collapse. Should be entertaining. Lol

And why everything points to Jethro caving. He’s very limited otherwise without folding his tent on this team and the season.
I don't believe Jethro will cave. I believe Dak is tired of the Circus.

Proof

Reaction score
You are making assumptions though that Dak wants to leave Dallas and all of the sponsorship deals that he gets by being quarterback of "America's Team".

People can say what they want (and that includes Jerry, Dak and Dak's agent), but the bottom line is leverage exists for both sides.

As I posted above, it could be (for example) that Jerry has decided to move on from Dak (not saying it's true, just it's possible) so he views it as "you either take what I offer, or you can go find another team in 2025". Dak of course could do just that.

If Jerry is willing to let Dak walk in 2025, then that gives him leverage over Dak in that either Dak accepts his offer or Jerry gets what he wants with a fresh start in 2025. Dak of course has leverage because he will get a big contract with someone in 2025 if one is not worked out with the Cowboys.

As I also posted above, Lamb has leverage as well because he can sit out and pay the fines waiting for the Cowboys to lose, which hurt Jerry in many ways.
I'm not making an assumption. daks motives are irrelevant. he just has leverage. i'm sure he'd love to stay in dallas, but given that he has unprecedented leverage it's easier to press the issue.

and again in the "fresh start" scenario you're presenting, that's making the best of a bad situation. it's clearly not the desired outcome. but lets say that it is, that's still not leverage because daks worst case scenario is entering a historic bidding war

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yep true, his name is Trey Lance. He's 24 years old and selected in the 4th round of the 2024 draft....you can cry and complain that Lance sucks all you want and maybe he does but they basically drafted Lance by trading for him.
No they basically did not.

A 4th round pick has 4 years to develop. Not a year and a half.

A 4th round pick does not cost $5.3M in all 4 years combined.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
It’s the non contenders or currently non playoff teams who will want him. And the playoff record is over hyped. Most of these QB’s signed this offseason have no more playoff wins and or record.

I’m not a huge Prescott fan but it’s silly not to recognize he’s an above average Franchise QB who qualifies for Market Price as much as Tua, Lawrence, Love , Herbert , Cousins and other non Elite QB’s. That’s just the nature of business in the NFL whether we like it or not.
Reality doesn’t fly with most around here. The ridiculous contracts of the far inferior Lawrence and Tua pretty much guarantee Prescott is going to command close to $60 million.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Maybe just maybe because of what Jerry and Stephen keep saying. Maybe because Jerry is negotiating.

Dak is the one that will say bye. When it happens you can believe it was Jerry's decision.

That fact that Jerry has no replacement plan, tells you all you need to know. Trance is not a plan.
Are you sure he has no plan? I thought most teams just ordered up a new QB when they were ready. Its not very hard, is it?

By the way... I am officially indifferent. If Dak stays, great. If he goes, great.

Like Ivan Drago once said... if he dies, he dies.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Dont confuse leverage with the ability to say no...Jerry has the ability to say no, leverage would be something Jerry has that can force the other side to the table in favor of the contract he wants...Jerry doesnt have that at all...

Chasing6

Reaction score
Reality doesn’t fly with most here. The ridiculous contracts of the far inferior Lawrence and Tua pretty much guarantee Prescott is going to command close to $60 million.
I think people will be surprised what Dak signs for. He will pick the team he believes gives him the best chance of winning in the future.

He does not want to sign with a team that pays him the most, to then have to carry the team.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

The fact he didn't shows he is prepared to take a hit in 2024 to reset things.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

They may also want longer contracts than the Cowboys want to give.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.

Lamb may want those clauses as well and Jerry does not want to offer them.

The truth is we fans and the media do not have all of the information.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players/agents.
JJ wins either way, if Prescot tanks then JJ wins because the Cowboys aren't out a half of billion dollars. If the Cowboys get JJ another SB trophy JJ wins. He says thanks, but no thanks to Prescot and he saves a half a billion dollars.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Reports are already speculating that if a deal isn’t done before season , Dak is gone .

The discontent or lack of confidence needing to prove himself will sway him to bolt in FA.

Wouldn’t that be special if Dak led us to NFCCG finally and he flipped us off. I certainly couldn’t blame him. Lol
You wouldnt blame him? This team has done nothing but support him. Publicly, privately, contractually. But I dont care anymore. If he leaves, he leaves. I simply do not care anymore. You know me.... Im normally Mr positive. But the money part of the game is finally wearing me down to where I simply am ok playing with who we hve. So if Dak flips us the bird, I will gladly flip it right back. If he gives us a hug, Ill hug him back.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I think people will be surprised what Dak signs for. He will pick the team he believes gives him the best chance of winning in the future.

He does not want to sign with a team that pays him the most, to then have to carry the team.
So wait... you think any team that needs a new QB is going to be in great shape and ready to win. List me some teams that fit that category. If you havent figure it out, Dak is absolutely a guy that wants top dollar. It was like that last contract (which is why he wanted 4 years) and it is clearly like that in this contract.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
You wouldnt blame him? This team has done nothing but support him. Publicly, privately, contractually. But I dont care anymore. If he leaves, he leaves. I simply do not care anymore. You know me.... Im normally Mr positive. But the money part of the game is finally wearing me down to where I simply am ok playing with who we hve. So if Dak flips us the bird, I will gladly flip it right back. If he gives us a hug, Ill hug him back.
it really doesnt matter in the long run because this FO has shown it can not build a SB team...until the FO changes playoff dump with the current players....playoff dump with new players..only the names will change..

Chasing6

Reaction score
Are you sure he has no plan? I thought most teams just ordered up a new QB when they were ready. Its not very hard, is it?

By the way... I am officially indifferent. If Dak stays, great. If he goes, great.

Like Ivan Drago once said... if he dies, he dies.
I prefer Dak to go play for a real organization.

I am a Cowboys fan. I am a fan of multiple players on our team. There are some players I don't like.

I can't stand GM Jethro.

Do you see the owner of the Niners anywhere?

The Cowboys are turning into the TV show Dallas in the 80's. That show only lasted for 14 years. If we could only be so lucky.

stiletto

Reaction score
No they basically did not.

A 4th round pick has 4 years to develop. Not a year and a half.

A 4th round pick does not cost $5.3M in all 4 years combined.
Jerry said it himself in the pre-draft press conference, that is how they saw it. I am not saying it is a good thing. I am saying that's their logic.

He spoke during the team's pre-draft press conference about what it means to add Lance to the team. "When we made the trade for Lance, you know these quarterbacks go early. When there's a need for them, they go earlier than you think they should. When we were able to use a fourth-round pick, where we were able to get depth. To have Trey Lance sitting there right now, our cup runneth over when you add [Lance and Cooper Rush] to Dak."

Diehardblues

Reaction score
it really doesnt matter in the long run because this FO has shown it can not build a SB team...until the FO changes playoff dump with the current players....playoff dump with new players..only the names will change..
Yea, these last 10-15 years maybe longer with Jethro well into his 90’s as GM and ugly face of our franchise is going to get even uglier if we need him to continue trying to rebuild and find or draft our next Franchise QB.