Jerry Jones has more leverage than the media and fans think he has

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Good points. Depending on what happens with Aaron Rodgers, the Jets could be in the Dak market and so could the Steelers. It will be interesting if Dak even makes it to free agency.
If we don’t resign him before season there’s a possibility he might accept a trade . We let him walk in FA we get nothing.

Proof

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

The fact he didn't shows he is prepared to take a hit in 2024 to reset things.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

They may also want longer contracts than the Cowboys want to give.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.

Lamb may want those clauses as well and Jerry does not want to offer them.

The truth is we fans and the media do not have all of the information.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players/agents.
seems like you're conflating 'options' with 'leverage'. yeah jerry can choose not to sign them and deal with the fallout, but that's not exactly leverage, even if resetting the cap ultimately becomes a good thing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agreed. The major deadline to get the Dak extension finished is by September 8th, 3:25pm central time (less than one month from today). In my opinion, if no deal is reached by this time-then Dak will not be getting a new deal with the Cowboys (barring a deep postseason run in which he plays spectacularly the entire time).

In my opinion, both the front office and the players knew before free agency began what it would take to get an extension signed. This is all a publicity stunt now-no matter if the extensions get done or do not (they all know what numbers and clauses would make the deal a go and have known it for some time). Jerry has always caved for younger stars going on their second contracts, and waited till the wheels fell off the franchise QB. The deadline I mentioned before is the point where we will know if it’s more status quo or a different plan.
Yep and even if we did make a deeper run in playoffs and we wanted to resign him then it’s more likely he bolts anyway. Lol

It would serve us right .That’s what I’m going to root for if we don’t resign him:)

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
seems like you're conflating 'options' with 'leverage'. yeah jerry can choose not to sign them and deal with the fallout, but that's not exactly leverage, even if resetting the cap ultimately becomes a good thing.
Everything is an option.

In this case though, Jerry has leverage because he's okay with the consquences of not getting what he wants.

Dak has leverage because he knows he will be a free agent next year and land a big contract with another team if Jerry won't pay him.

Lamb has leverage because he represents a lot of the Cowboys offense, both directly and indirectly (when attention is focused on him, others succeed).

They all have leverage, but all of those decisions are options.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree . I think some feel we have leverage which is more like options.

Leverage is more about I accept your offer or I walk.

If we don’t want to resign him , then fine but it appears we do want to resign him which totally dispels what the detractors think.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree . I think some feel we have leverage which is more like options.

Leverage is more about I accept your offer or I walk.

If we don’t want to resign him , then fine but it appears we do want to resign him which totally dispels what the detractors think.
As I posted above, all sides have leverage.

Yes, they are all options, but you are making the same mistake others are making in that you assume the Cowboys want Dak back no matter what.

If Mahommes right now said he wants $100 million per year or he will retire, the Chiefs would let him retire. There are limits to everything, including some that are unrealistic and some that are realistic.

You can want something badly, but at some point, the cost of getting what you want outweighs the benefits of you actually getting it. That doesn't make either side right or wrong or "greedy", but simply looking out for their best interests.

Leverage is a balance that is defined before a deal is made through perception (which side "thinks" they have the biggest advantage).

Leverage itself though is only factually defined after a deal is done or not done, when you see which side benefits the most.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Everything is an option.

In this case though, Jerry has leverage because he's okay with the consquences of not getting what he wants.

Dak has leverage because he knows he will be a free agent next year and land a big contract with another team if Jerry won't pay him.

Lamb has leverage because he represents a lot of the Cowboys offense, both directly and indirectly (when attention is focused on him, others succeed).

Dak has leverage over Jerry period. Dak is comfortable walking away from the Cowboys. Jerry will be embarrassed when it happens.

CD currently has no leverage. The reason Jerry has no urgency. CD is under contract and can be tagged next year. CD will play this year with or without a new contract.

Jerry is not ok with the consequences. Jerry wants to hang out at the rim. These consequences will not even get him in the gym.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As I posted above, all sides have leverage.

Yes, they are all options, but you are making the same mistake others are making in that you assume the Cowboys want Dak back no matter what.

If Mahommes right now said he wants $100 million per year or he will retire, the Chiefs would let him retire. There are limits to everything, including some that are unrealistic and some that are realistic.

You can want something badly, but at some point, the cost of getting what you want outweighs the benefits of you actually getting it. That doesn't make either side right or wrong or "greedy", but simply looking out for their best interests.

Leverage is a balance that is defined before a deal is made through perception (which side "thinks" they have the biggest advantage).

Leverage itself though is only factually defined after a deal is done or not done, when you see which side benefits the most.
I didn’t say they want him no matter what but they are pursuing him which the detractors think it’s already a forgone conclusion he’s gone .

And I think most would say we don’t have any leverage cause we can’t trade or Tag him.

But sure, we always have the option of letting him go. Im not sure I’d define that as leverage.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I have been saying these things for weeks. I have repeated on this forum at least 5 different times ... what if Lamb wants a no franchise and no trade clause in his contract. Would you, as an owner agree to that... with w WR????? Not a chance in hell.

Asklesko

Reaction score
I'm good with Jerry sticking to his guns and forcing these primadonnas to prove during the playoffs they are worth getting paid record-setting "Market Value" contracts.
And what if they do? Jerry will have to pay dak 70, 80 million. The cheapskate is not going to do that either

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Dak has leverage over Jerry period. Dak is comfortable walking away from the Cowboys. Jerry will be embarrassed when it happens.

CD currently has no leverage. The reason Jerry has no urgency. CD is under contract and can be tagged next year. CD will play this year with or without a new contract.

Jerry is not ok with the consequences. Jerry wants to hang out at the rim. These consequences will not even get him in the gym.
and after that GB loss... how do you know Jerry isnt comfortable letting Dak walk? So people say, well then why didnt youjust trade him?

You do know Dak has a no trade clause? How would this season go if Dak knew Jerry was trying to work a dea? Not good. So maybe jerry is perfectly content to just let Dak play out this season. If he stinks, Jerry says bye bye. If Dak takes us to NFC title game, Jerry is fine paying 60-63 per season.

Dak isnt the only one with leverage.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Again, you are letting your emotions (especially "fandom" emotions) make assumptions that are not based on facts, but opinions.

The Cowboys can say they want Dak back in the media but they could internally have decided to move on from him in 2025. Sure, they could offer a lowball contract and if he accepts, great, but if not, so be it.

As I pointed out in my previous posts, we fans and the media simply do not have all of the information.

It's quite possible for example that the hold up with Dak is all about length of contract or something like demanding a "no trade clause" which has nothing do with money.

Both sides have leverage and whatever side someone is on they will think their side has the most.

In this case, I have no side so I really don't care who "wins" the negotiations or even if it falls through. Both sides have leverage, and likely a perception of more than they have.

As for Lamb, he has leverage because he can hold out for part of the season, pay the fines and if the Cowboys lose games, the media and fans would put pressure on Jerry every single day (especially after losses) to extend him.

Lamb's leverage in 2025 will be the amount a one-year franchise tag will cost as top receiver contracts are surpassing mid-tier quarterback contracts these days.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I agree . Lamb has no leverage except if we resign Dak it could look bad if Dak doesn’t have him in offense which could impact Dak success without Lambs presence.

stiletto

Reaction score

These are all just assumptions unless you know and talk to Jerry. How do you know "he'll be embarrassed"? Maybe he doesn't like Dak as much as you think.

Proof

Reaction score
Everything is an option.

it's semantics, but leverage implies having an advantageous position to coerce someone to act in your self interest instead of theirs. jerry has none on dak. dak is in probably the most advantageous positions we've seen a qb in in history.

w/ ceedee, jerry has leverage though due to having him under contract.

Chasing6

Reaction score
and after that GB loss... how do you know Jerry isnt comfortable letting Dak walk? So people say, well then why didnt youjust trade him?

You do know Dak has a no trade clause? How would this season go if Dak knew Jerry was trying to work a dea? Not good. So maybe jerry is perfectly content to just let Dak play out this season. If he stinks, Jerry says bye bye. If Dak takes us to NFC title game, Jerry is fine paying 60-63 per season.

Maybe just maybe because of what Jerry and Stephen keep saying. Maybe because Jerry is negotiating.

Dak is the one that will say bye. When it happens you can believe it was Jerry's decision.

That fact that Jerry has no replacement plan, tells you all you need to know. Trance is not a plan.

Chasing6

Reaction score
These are all just assumptions unless you know and talk to Jerry. How do you know "he'll be embarrassed"? Maybe he doesn't like Dak as much as you think.
Sure that's why he drafted a QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Reports are already speculating that if a deal isn’t done before season , Dak is gone .

The discontent or lack of confidence needing to prove himself will sway him to bolt in FA.

Wouldn’t that be special if Dak led us to NFCCG finally and he flipped us off. I certainly couldn’t blame him. Lol