Jerry Jones has more leverage than the media and fans think he has

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I guess you forget Jerry has a $50M lease penalty next year for Dak. Jerry will be riding the bus, I mean playing Trance next year.
Yet that makes the most sense. Overpaying for Dak just isn't good business. Let him walk, give Lance the reins next year or sign a young Qb like Davis Mills. Draft a WR and a RB in next year's draft. We are set at o-line for a while.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm glad we cleared that up!
Funny. My point was that Dallas as an organization doesn't really need Dak. They don't have to pay him if they don't want to pay him. Dak will get his money elsewhere and Dallas will still be the most valuable franchise in sports. They will find another QB just as Dak will find another team.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Funny. My point was that Dallas as an organization doesn't really need Dak. They don't have to pay him if they don't want to pay him. Dak will get his money elsewhere and Dallas will still be the most valuable franchise in sports. They will find another QB just as Dak will find another team.
What team, besides maybe the Cowboys, is going to pay Dak 60 million? Be realistic. Name some teams and valid reasons why they would risk their futures for Dak? I just don't think any team is in any hurry to sign Dak at this stage of his career for top dollar.

I think Dak is in for a rude awakening as a free agent. He'll get an offer from a bottom feeder, but not for bank and franchise breaking dollars. Not for an old QB who has the worst playoff record ever.

There are no contenders at this moment who need a QB. Not one playoff team from last year would take Dak over who they currently have.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This was an odd OP.
I've been there as the author of several, but this probably should have stayed a thought bubble.

Jerry has no leverage at all with Dak.
In fact, rumors are teams are lining up now to get in the Dak-stakes with the Raiders keeping very close watch and hoping to lure him with Devante Adams.

CeeDee is a top 5 WR. That is all the leverage he needs. He is going to get paid. He can miss a few games and all of camp and come in and still have a good enough year to get massively paid.

Whats more is Jerry hurts his cause every time he speaks. Gone are the days the Cowboys can slip reporters odds and ends to turn the public in their favor.
Any muckrake now gets laid at the feet of dirty pool.
Now every time Jerry speaks people realize more and more it is the BrainTrust that is clueless as to the reality around them.

It is a player run league. They are the show you are selling. If owners can thandle that they might as well sell and move into something else like real estate that wont talk back..

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You boys are in for the rudest of rude awakenings when you realize Dak is gone but you are still stuck with the worm-brained ownership group in Dallas.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Jerry is being targeted by the agents. They know the Cowboys will cave and give into contract demands. The Cowboys caved for a good player like Tank and an over the hill great player like Martin. If your Dak or CeeDee’s agent you know they going to do the same for you. Eventually Dak, CeeDee and Parsons will get record breaking contracts. It’s just a matter of time.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Yet that makes the most sense. Overpaying for Dak just isn't good business. Let him walk, give Lance the reins next year or sign a young Qb like Davis Mills. Draft a WR and a RB in next year's draft. We are set at o-line for a while.
You do know SF bet the farm on Lance and decided to let him go? A franchise that has a stellar front office vs a franchise with a family side show running it.

Creeper

Reaction score
I agree, we do not know much about the discussions taking place between agents and the Cowboys. But I still think Jerry should have known what deals Dak and CeeDee were looking for no later than end of February. Maybe he did, we don't know, but if he did and he didn't act then, then he messed up in my opinion. If he didn't know, that's worse.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What team, besides maybe the Cowboys, is going to pay Dak 60 million? Be realistic. Name some teams and valid reasons why they would risk their futures for Dak? I just don't think any team is in any hurry to sign Dak at this stage of his career for top dollar.

I think Dak is in for a rude awakening as a free agent. He'll get an offer from a bottom feeder, but not for bank and franchise breaking dollars. Not for an old QB who has the worst playoff record ever.

There are no contenders at this moment who need a QB. Not one playoff team from last year would take Dak over who they currently have.
It’s the non contenders or currently non playoff teams who will want him. And the playoff record is over hyped. Most of these QB’s signed this offseason have no more playoff wins and or record.

I’m not a huge Prescott fan but it’s silly not to recognize he’s an above average Franchise QB who qualifies for Market Price as much as Tua, Lawrence, Love , Herbert , Cousins and other non Elite QB’s. That’s just the nature of business in the NFL whether we like it or not.

shabazz

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

The fact he didn't shows he is prepared to take a hit in 2024 to reset things.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

They may also want longer contracts than the Cowboys want to give.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.

Lamb may want those clauses as well and Jerry does not want to offer them.

The truth is we fans and the media do not have all of the information.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players/agents.
All of this can simply said , Rebuild 2025......all the signs are there

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s the non contenders or currently non playoff teams who will want him. And the playoff record is over hyped. Most of these QB’s signed this offseason have no more playoff wins and or record.

I’m not a huge Prescott fan but it’s silly not to recognize he’s an above average Franchise QB who qualifies for Market Price as much as Tua, Lawrence, Love , Herbert , Cousins and other non Elite QB’s. That’s just the nature of business in the NFL whether we like it or not.
:muttley:Thank you for the morning laughs................

Diehardblues

Reaction score
:muttley:Thank you for the morning laughs................
I’ve been bashed by his most ardent Homers. I do go to bat for many of his contractual issues because it’s the reality NFL business we live in. And the fact I hold our ownership more accountable for not managing the situation better or drafting and or planning to place us in a better position to move on.

I take on the Homers and the Haters because the reality is more in the middle which I believe most fans agree with. I’m fine with moving on when we have a plan in place. Starting over just to start over when you have a playoff caliber team and QB even if it chokes in the playoffs isn’t sound mgmt. The time to start over is when you totally collapse or hit rock bottom.

The fact you selected that particular segment in an attempt to discredit me personally instead of my entire argument speaks volumes not challenging the content of my message.

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No he hasn’t. That’s a bunch of nonsense.
Nonsense? How is that nonsense? It's exactly what he has been doing. They even said it's what they were going to do back at the start of FA.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

His agent has a good idea of what to expect, compensation wise, if Dak is a free agent. It won’t be a “rude awakening“. It will be a “bottom feeder”. Sans Prescott the Cowboys will be looking for a quarterback. If Jerry Jones is comfortable with that situation I guess fans should be, too.

Verdict

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

The fact he didn't shows he is prepared to take a hit in 2024 to reset things.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

They may also want longer contracts than the Cowboys want to give.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.
Lamb may want those clauses as well and Jerry does not want to offer them.

The truth is we fans and the media do not have all of the information.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players

1. At some point salaries take up such a large portion of the cap that it is difficult, if not impossible to surround those players with depth.

2. At some point, the idea that you pay a QB market setting money simply because that player is the next in line will cease to happen. I hope that it’s Jerry that starts that trend.

3. I know it’s entirely possible that Dak will get a massive new deal from another team that sets new records but that doesn’t mean that the Cowboys should let that affect their decision making. Dak is a good QB but he has wilted in the biggest games. His contract should reflect both the good and the bad.

4. Signing Dak to a new deal effectively castrates the team for the duration of Dak’s contract (maybe plus a year or two) so unless you really believe that Dak is THE MAN (like Mahomes) then you let someone else pay Dak.

5. I don’t know why Cowboys fans blame Jerry for deals that don’t get done. It takes both sides wanting to get a contract done at the same numbers for a deal to get done. Jerry is viewed as an easy mark by agents in part because of the Zeke deal, and this is an opportunity to reverse that trend.

6. Jerry has more control than fans realize. They just don’t believe Jerry will exercise that control. I hope Jerry has learned his lesson with no trade clauses. He would have been better off giving Dak $5m per year more for the past contract and not having a no trade clause. Dak would be gone right now and we would have some premium picks to show for it.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I’ve been bashed by his most ardent Homers. I do go to bat for many of his contractual issues because it’s the reality NFL business we live in. And the fact I hold our ownership more accountable for not managing the situation better or drafting and or planning to place us in a better position to move on.

I take on the Homers and the Haters because the reality is more in the middle which I believe most fans agree with. I’m fine with moving on when we have a plan in place. Starting over just to start over when you have a playoff caliber team and QB even if it chokes in the playoffs isn’t sound mgmt. The time to start over is when you totally collapse or hit rock bottom.

The fact you selected that particular segment in an attempt to discredit me personally instead of my entire argument speaks volumes not challenging the content of my message.
This is actually the perfect time to do a soft rebuild, they are fairly young on the defensive side, the Oline is also young. Only thing that really needs to be reset is the offensive skill positions, really just the QB position. I think there is a plan, let Dak walk. Eventually resign Lamb, draft another 1st round receiver, and a starting RB or two. All of sudden we have dynamic offense. Lance or someone like Davis Mills could be capable bus drivers. If neither work out swing for the fences in the 25-26 draft. How is that for a plan?

blueblood70

Reaction score
you are 100% correect....

so?? Come on people this is just more posturing by both sides we do not know what lamb and his agents are demanding and when Jerry says these things in public for one you should ignore it but for two he's absolutely correct what's the rush literally there is no urgency because Sadie lamb is under contract and also CD lamb can be franchise tagged not just one year he could be two years we own this man's rights and I know it seems like a bad look but Jamar chase is not signed, Brandon Aiuke going through the same thing at least there's no rumors that Jerry Jones family are looking to trade city land and city lamb has not demanded a trade therefore this is just public posturing for negotiations and anybody getting caught up in the hype and somehow need to pick a side or ridiculous this is both sides are to blame for this not getting done right now we do not know what the demands of the contracts are and what the Cowboys have countered with nobody knows not a single person knows anything and I thought if it's serious, we would know his agents would probably release more details about both contracts offers if they really wanted to try to smear Jerry in this front office for allegedly being cheap that doesn't seem to be the case..

By the way if anything that the wide receiver markets since Justin Jefferson have seen the gone down not up we've seen a lot of guys even tyreke kill who just was voted the best player in the NFL on the top 100 he just accepted 30 million a year for three years fully guaranteed that's 30 not 34 not 35 but 30 a lot of guys have been getting around 30 to 32 and it seems like some of these guys want 34 and $35,000,000 because they want this new trend setting I wanna be the second highest paid player in the NFL outside of quarterback and that will hold up any negotiations...

stiletto

Reaction score
Just look at last years draft.

Can you make it up signing UFL free agents as well?
If they contribute like Aubrey and Turpin. How much would they have cost if they were proven NFL FA's? Probably like 10x as much.

JBS

Reaction score
Nonsense? How is that nonsense? It's exactly what he has been doing. They even said it's what they were going to do back at the start of FA.
They said they’re going to reset the cap by not signing the big 3 players that have impending contracts ? No chance

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Good points. Depending on what happens with Aaron Rodgers, the Jets could be in the Dak market and so could the Steelers. It will be interesting if Dak even makes it to free agency.