Jerry Jones has more leverage than the media and fans think he has

Blitzen

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

The fact he didn't shows he is prepared to take a hit in 2024 to reset things.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

They may also want longer contracts than the Cowboys want to give.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.

Lamb may want those clauses as well and Jerry does not want to offer them.

The truth is we fans and the media do not have all of the information.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players/agents.

Agreed. The major deadline to get the Dak extension finished is by September 8th, 3:25pm central time (less than one month from today). In my opinion, if no deal is reached by this time-then Dak will not be getting a new deal with the Cowboys (barring a deep postseason run in which he plays spectacularly the entire time).

In my opinion, both the front office and the players knew before free agency began what it would take to get an extension signed. This is all a publicity stunt now-no matter if the extensions get done or do not (they all know what numbers and clauses would make the deal a go and have known it for some time). Jerry has always caved for younger stars going on their second contracts, and waited till the wheels fell off the franchise QB. The deadline I mentioned before is the point where we will know if it’s more status quo or a different plan.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You boys are in for the rudest of rude awakenings when you realize Dak is gone but you are still stuck with the worm-brained ownership group in Dallas.
Meh. The Dallas Cowboys are bigger than even Jerry Jones and the Jones Family.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dallas technically has all of the leverage in that the Cowboys will be worth tens of billions in 10 years and Dak will not.
In 10 years Jerry will be dead.

Again if he had leverage these players would be signed already.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
CeeDee will probably report within the next 2 weeks.......no way he will miss any games, too expensive. So yes, Jerry has all the leverage with him. Dak is another story....hell, Jerry even admitted Dak has put himself in a position where he is in control.
I don't know why, but I get the feeling Jerry is sending a message to Parsons. Of course, I could be dead wrong but he knows Parsons's negotiation is going to be tough.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry has no plan.

If he wanted to get the most value from CD he would have been traded before the draft.

If Jerry's plan was to let Dak walk he would have had a replacement plan in place. No Trance is not a replacement option.
He most definitely is. Dak fans are afraid of this.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just look at last years draft.

Can you make it up signing UFL free agents as well?
UFL FA's are camp bodies, and you may get lucky with them, just as an UDFA. Tony Romo, Drew Pearson come to mind?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Let me start by saying I really don't care who is being greedy between the Jones family and the players.

I said months ago I felt like Jerry may be doing a soft-reset of the salary cap to get out from under all of the dead money.

The hints of this have been everywhere because he chose to bring back McCarthy but not extend him despite him only having one year remaining on his current contract.

He could have easily extended Dak and Lamb before the salary cap increased or at least before other players in their respective positions signed new market-setting contracts.

The fact he didn't shows he is prepared to take a hit in 2024 to reset things.

As for leverage, I have read everywhere in the media and from many Cowboys fans how the players have all of the leverage, but this is simply not true.

What many people fail to consider is that Jerry is using the leverage he has (and he has a lot actually) to either get the deals he wants (and not just about money) or he gets his fallback plan with a reset year for the salary cap.

Everyone also assumes the contract delay is about money, and that is probably part of it, but there could be other sticking points as well.

For example, Dak/Lamb and their agents may want shorter contracts than the Cowboys do because they believe the salary cap will increase considerably in the next 2-3 years and they want to be able to capitalize on it.

They may also want longer contracts than the Cowboys want to give.

Beyond that, Dak currently has "no trade" and "no franchise tag" clauses in his contract and he may want both of those again in any new contract and Jerry may not want to do that a second time.

Lamb may want those clauses as well and Jerry does not want to offer them.

The truth is we fans and the media do not have all of the information.

Too many people assume it's all about money and greed (who to blame depends on which side you support), but the truth is the sticky points may not be money-related, at least not yearly average amounts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and, more importantly, if any details of the sticking points get leaked as frustration grows on one of the sides between the team and the players/agents.
What does a “salary cap reset” look like playing out?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nephew Billy: Uncle Job Bob?
Uncle Joe Bob: Yes Billy?
Nephew Billy: You're old.
Uncle Joe Bob: Haha. I know Billy.
Nephew Billy: Uncle Job Bob?
Uncle Joe Bob: Yes Billy?
Nephew Billy: You're gonna die before I graduate kindergarten.
Uncle Joe Bob: Why do you say that, Billy?
Nephew Billy: Because you're old.
Uncle Joe Bob: Yes I am but you do not know I will not be around when you graduate.
Nephew Billy: Yes I do know Uncle Job Bob. You know how I know Uncle Job Bob?
Uncle Joe Bob: How do you know Billy?
Nephew Billy: Because you're old.
Uncle Joe Bob: How old do I look to you Billy?
Nephew Billy: You look old old Uncle Joe Bob.
Uncle Joe Bob: Billy... Nice talk.
Nephew Billy: I'm gonna go catch the bus for school now, Uncle Joe Bob. Don't croak before I come back home.
Uncle Joe Bob: Don't worry, Billy. I will try my best.

Adreme

Reaction score
Cowboys draft well, hence good players, hence high salaries.
The 49ers have 6 players who were all pro last year on 2nd contracts and are forced to trade their other one because they cannot afford to have 7 on the payroll (well they could but honestly he probably is not worth it). The Cowboys have 4 that are not on rookie deals and 2 of them are the P and K who combined make what some rookie QBs are making so really 2 in Martin and Dak. Somehow, despite that fact, they are struggling to resign one of those two and figure out an extension for either of the two eligible on a rookie deal.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In 10 years Jerry will be dead.

Again if he had leverage these players would be signed already.
Jerry doesn't have leverage, the Dallas Cowboy franchise does. The Dallas Cowboys will still be the Dallas Cowboys whether Dak plays for them or not and whether Jerry Jones owns them or not.

Jerry will not be dead in 10 years. Jerry, Keith Richards, Rick Pitino, and Arthur Blank will be the only survivors of climate change.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I have always thought the person cutting the checks had more leverage than the one endorsing it. I don't remember Jerry having a reaction like he did after the GB game, saying he was floored. I think he and Jimmy maybe talking behind the scenes, and Jimmy mentioned a couple harsh realities about certain players and country club culture.
The country club culture is of Jerry's making.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Jerry doesn't have leverage, the Dallas Cowboy franchise does. The Dallas Cowboys will still be the Dallas Cowboys whether Dak plays for them or not and whether Jerry Jones owns them or not.

Jerry will not be dead in 10 years. Jerry, Keith Richards, Rick Pitino, and Arthur Blank will be the only survivors of climate change.
Funny. Dak will still be Dak if he plays for the Cowboys or not.

Climate change does not exist.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dak doesn’t have leverage unless you decide to play his little game with him.

He needs to go.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean he did say Jerry Jones
vncDfEh.gif

:)