Jerry Jones reportedly hires lawyer to block Goodell's extension

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
David Boies? The guy involved with Harvey?
oy...

David Boies is considered one of the top US lawyers.

From Wikipedia
Notable cases
  • At Cravath, Boies assisted top litigator Thomas D. Barr in defending IBM in the 13-year antitrust cases brought by the Justice Department and many private competitors.
  • Also at Cravath, he represented the Justice Department in the United States v. Microsoft Corp. case. Boies won a "victory" at trial,[8] and the verdict was upheld on appeal. The appellate court overturned the relief ordered (breakup of the company) back to the trial court for further proceedings. Thereafter, the George W. Bush administration settled the case. Bill Gates said Boies was "out to destroy Microsoft".[9] In 2001, the Washington Monthly called Boies "a brilliant trial lawyer", "a latter-day Clarence Darrow", and "a mad genius" for his work on the Microsoft case.[8]
  • Boies represented New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner in a suit against Major League Baseball. This involved an action against all the teams. The Atlanta Braves were owned by Time Warner, a longtime Cravath client, who objected to his representation of the Yankees.
  • He defended CBS in the action brought by General William Westmoreland. The general abandoned his case during the trial.
  • Following the 2000 U.S. presidential election, he represented Vice President Al Gore in Bush v. Gore.[9] In Jay Roach's Recount, which focuses on the case, Boies is played by Ed Begley Jr.
  • Boies defended Napster when the company was sued by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for facilitating copyright infringement.
  • In November 2003, he represented Andrew Fastow, deposed Chief Financial Officer of Enron.
  • Boies' firm was retained by the SCO Group, during the SCO–Linux controversies, in their pursuit of alleged infringement of their rights to the Unix intellectual properties. He spoke to the media about the case, but never personally appeared in court.
  • In 2006, Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP negotiated a major settlement with The American International Group on behalf of its client, C. V. Starr, a firm controlled by Maurice R. Greenberg, the former chairman and chief executive of A.I.G.[10] In 2015 Boies won at trial a claim that the government's $85 billion bailout of AIG had been unfair to the company's owners.[11] Boies has appealed, asking for greater money damages.
  • Boies negotiated on behalf of American Express two of the highest civil antitrust settlements ever for an individual company: $2.25 billion from Visa, and $1.8 billion from MasterCard.[12]
  • Boies is representing filmmaker Michael Moore regarding a Treasury Department investigation into Moore's trip to Cuba while filming for Sicko.[13]
  • On June 24, 2009, following the California Supreme Court ruling on Strauss v. Horton, Boies joined former Solicitor General Theodore Olson, the opposing attorney in Bush v. Gore, in the lawsuit Perry v. Brown seeking to overturn the state of California's Proposition 8 ban on same-sex marriage.[14] In August 2010, the District Court judge ruled in their clients' favor, finding Proposition 8 to be unconstitutional. On June 26, 2013, the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that the proponents of Proposition 8 did not have standing to challenge the ruling, allowing the District Court judgment to stand. Same-sex marriages resumed in California on June 28, 2013.
  • Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP assisted the government in obtaining a $155 million settlement from Medco Health Solutions related to a qui tam complaint which alleged that Medco, "systematically and intentionally switched patients' prescriptions in an effort to increase the market share for certain pharmaceutical manufacturers, and thereby increased hidden rebate payments it received from pharmaceutical manufacturers."[15] In response to the settlement, Mr. Boies said, "I am very happy that lawyers from Boies, Schiller & Flexner were able to contribute to the litigation and settlement of this qui tam case, which will result in important changes in the way pharmacy managers do business by increasing their level of accountability to their patients. We are also very happy we could help the government recover the money it was erroneously billed by Medco, and that Medco agreed to execute a Corporate Integrity Agreement which will govern their conduct in the future."[16]
  • On August 20, 2009 the Golden Gate Yacht Club announced that he had been retained in their ongoing dispute with Société Nautique de Genève regarding the 33rd America's Cup.[17]
  • In March, 2010, David Boies joined the team of attorneys representing Jamie McCourt in her divorce from Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt.[18]
  • Boies was part of the legal team representing the National Football League in their antitrust litigation, Brady v. NFL.[19]
  • Boies represented the National Basketball Players Association during the 2011 NBA lockout. He joined sides with Jeffrey Kessler, who opposed Boies as a representative for the players in the 2011 NFL lockout.[20]
  • Boies was the lead counsel for Oracle Corporation in its lawsuit against Google on the use of Java programming language technology in the Android operating system. The case decided that Google did not infringe on Oracle's patents.[21]
  • In 2012, Boies represented three tobacco companies, Philip Morris USA Inc., R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. and Liggett Group LLC, in their appeal of a $2.5 million Tampa jury verdict in the death of smoker Charlotte Douglas.[22]
  • In late 2012, Boies defended Gary Jackson, former president of Academi (previously known as BlackWater), in a federal prosecution which alleged he and his co-defendants illegally hid firearm purchases from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.[23]
  • In December 2014, Boies, as Chief Counsel for Sony Pictures Entertainment, announced on a public affairs show on CNN that, notwithstanding threats by North Korea and a hacking incident against his client, Sony would be making the motion picture The Interview available for distribution to the public in some fashion, and that the release of the film was not cancelled, simply delayed. Boies also warned media outlets not to republish material stolen from Sony Pictures in the hacking incident, with little success.
  • In 2015, Boies represented Harvey Weinstein in renegotiating Weinstein's employment contract.[24][25]
  • In February 2016, Boies agreed to both sit on the board of directors and act as the attorney for troubled Silicon Valley startup Theranos. The controversial dual role was deemed difficult as he would have to represent both the company (as lawyer) and investors (as a director).[26]
  • In 2017, Boies agreed to join the legal team for Lawrence Lessig's legal fight against winner-take-all Electoral College vote allocations in the states.[27]

reddyuta

Reaction score
Wow he's done.

yep.you only need the big owners-Jerry,Kraft ,little Danny and Rooneys are enough to convince others to sink Roger.I think this all started when Jerry read the investigators report who recommended no suspension but Goodell and Friel concocted the bogus suspension regardless.Jerry must have made up his mind at that moment.

T-RO

Reaction score
David Boies? The guy involved with Harvey?
oy...

What I found a dishonorable is how the Times injected their own legal case into the story. This is a huge journalistic impropreity, but doesn't surprise me, with the national state of journalism (reflected on the left and the right).

There is little doubt Harvey is a skank, but lawyers defend all manner of clients in all manner of cases.

It's my view fighting Goodel is a very honorable cause and Jerry sought a talented and tough lawyer. I applaud.

canters

Reaction score
The Steelers being on Jerry's side is a big surprise to me. When the Rooney family is against you, you know you're bad for the league.
And the Mara family as wel.....this effort has legs.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
yep.you only need the big owners-Jerry,Kraft ,little Danny and Rooneys are enough to convince others to sink Roger.I think this all started when Jerry read the investigators report who recommended no suspension but Goodell and Friel concocted the bogus suspension regardless.Jerry must have made up his mind at that moment.

People in the FO were saying they've never seen him that visibly angry before. Probably took it as personal offense

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Just saying the Giants would probably be team number one to line up behind Goodell if anyone was to wager a guess.

Oh there is absolutely no doubt about this. Mara is wart on the butt of the NFL and the core instigator of issues (and punishments) as it pertains to teams he determines are his rivals. (ie, all NFCE teams and likely a few others)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Pretty sure I’ve read over and over how Jerry would just sit back and take everything. That he had no teeth. Is that notion going to die now, or are we going to move the goalposts to something else just for a good ol Jerry bash?
I've never heard this. Hell, Jerry's track record is written in stone showing this is not the case. Jerry filed a $750M law suit against the NFL in 1995.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
Oh there is absolutely no doubt about this. Mara is wart on the butt of the NFL and the core instigator of issues (and punishments) as it pertains to teams he determines are his rivals. (ie, all NFCE teams and likely a few others)
Yep. Thats why I'm thoroughly enjoying their implosion this season. I spent hours on you tube last night listening to calls coming in on their local radio and attacking their owners and management.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
David Boies is considered one of the top US lawyers.

From Wikipedia
Notable cases
  • At Cravath, Boies assisted top litigator Thomas D. Barr in defending IBM in the 13-year antitrust cases brought by the Justice Department and many private competitors.
  • Also at Cravath, he represented the Justice Department in the United States v. Microsoft Corp. case. Boies won a "victory" at trial,[8] and the verdict was upheld on appeal. The appellate court overturned the relief ordered (breakup of the company) back to the trial court for further proceedings. Thereafter, the George W. Bush administration settled the case. Bill Gates said Boies was "out to destroy Microsoft".[9] In 2001, the Washington Monthly called Boies "a brilliant trial lawyer", "a latter-day Clarence Darrow", and "a mad genius" for his work on the Microsoft case.[8]
  • Boies represented New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner in a suit against Major League Baseball. This involved an action against all the teams. The Atlanta Braves were owned by Time Warner, a longtime Cravath client, who objected to his representation of the Yankees.
  • He defended CBS in the action brought by General William Westmoreland. The general abandoned his case during the trial.
  • Following the 2000 U.S. presidential election, he represented Vice President Al Gore in Bush v. Gore.[9] In Jay Roach's Recount, which focuses on the case, Boies is played by Ed Begley Jr.
  • Boies defended Napster when the company was sued by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for facilitating copyright infringement.
  • In November 2003, he represented Andrew Fastow, deposed Chief Financial Officer of Enron.
  • Boies' firm was retained by the SCO Group, during the SCO–Linux controversies, in their pursuit of alleged infringement of their rights to the Unix intellectual properties. He spoke to the media about the case, but never personally appeared in court.
  • In 2006, Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP negotiated a major settlement with The American International Group on behalf of its client, C. V. Starr, a firm controlled by Maurice R. Greenberg, the former chairman and chief executive of A.I.G.[10] In 2015 Boies won at trial a claim that the government's $85 billion bailout of AIG had been unfair to the company's owners.[11] Boies has appealed, asking for greater money damages.
  • Boies negotiated on behalf of American Express two of the highest civil antitrust settlements ever for an individual company: $2.25 billion from Visa, and $1.8 billion from MasterCard.[12]
  • Boies is representing filmmaker Michael Moore regarding a Treasury Department investigation into Moore's trip to Cuba while filming for Sicko.[13]
  • On June 24, 2009, following the California Supreme Court ruling on Strauss v. Horton, Boies joined former Solicitor General Theodore Olson, the opposing attorney in Bush v. Gore, in the lawsuit Perry v. Brown seeking to overturn the state of California's Proposition 8 ban on same-sex marriage.[14] In August 2010, the District Court judge ruled in their clients' favor, finding Proposition 8 to be unconstitutional. On June 26, 2013, the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that the proponents of Proposition 8 did not have standing to challenge the ruling, allowing the District Court judgment to stand. Same-sex marriages resumed in California on June 28, 2013.
  • Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP assisted the government in obtaining a $155 million settlement from Medco Health Solutions related to a qui tam complaint which alleged that Medco, "systematically and intentionally switched patients' prescriptions in an effort to increase the market share for certain pharmaceutical manufacturers, and thereby increased hidden rebate payments it received from pharmaceutical manufacturers."[15] In response to the settlement, Mr. Boies said, "I am very happy that lawyers from Boies, Schiller & Flexner were able to contribute to the litigation and settlement of this qui tam case, which will result in important changes in the way pharmacy managers do business by increasing their level of accountability to their patients. We are also very happy we could help the government recover the money it was erroneously billed by Medco, and that Medco agreed to execute a Corporate Integrity Agreement which will govern their conduct in the future."[16]
  • On August 20, 2009 the Golden Gate Yacht Club announced that he had been retained in their ongoing dispute with Société Nautique de Genève regarding the 33rd America's Cup.[17]
  • In March, 2010, David Boies joined the team of attorneys representing Jamie McCourt in her divorce from Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt.[18]
  • Boies was part of the legal team representing the National Football League in their antitrust litigation, Brady v. NFL.[19]
  • Boies represented the National Basketball Players Association during the 2011 NBA lockout. He joined sides with Jeffrey Kessler, who opposed Boies as a representative for the players in the 2011 NFL lockout.[20]
  • Boies was the lead counsel for Oracle Corporation in its lawsuit against Google on the use of Java programming language technology in the Android operating system. The case decided that Google did not infringe on Oracle's patents.[21]
  • In 2012, Boies represented three tobacco companies, Philip Morris USA Inc., R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. and Liggett Group LLC, in their appeal of a $2.5 million Tampa jury verdict in the death of smoker Charlotte Douglas.[22]
  • In late 2012, Boies defended Gary Jackson, former president of Academi (previously known as BlackWater), in a federal prosecution which alleged he and his co-defendants illegally hid firearm purchases from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.[23]
  • In December 2014, Boies, as Chief Counsel for Sony Pictures Entertainment, announced on a public affairs show on CNN that, notwithstanding threats by North Korea and a hacking incident against his client, Sony would be making the motion picture The Interview available for distribution to the public in some fashion, and that the release of the film was not cancelled, simply delayed. Boies also warned media outlets not to republish material stolen from Sony Pictures in the hacking incident, with little success.
  • In 2015, Boies represented Harvey Weinstein in renegotiating Weinstein's employment contract.[24][25]
  • In February 2016, Boies agreed to both sit on the board of directors and act as the attorney for troubled Silicon Valley startup Theranos. The controversial dual role was deemed difficult as he would have to represent both the company (as lawyer) and investors (as a director).[26]
  • In 2017, Boies agreed to join the legal team for Lawrence Lessig's legal fight against winner-take-all Electoral College vote allocations in the states.[27]
Oh buddy, I'm not against his credentials. I know all about Dave. He's just about the best of the best and will do just about anything to remain so.
I just hope his involvement with Black Cube and other shady deals to help Weinstein out in covering his stuff up won't embroil him in things you'd rather not have going on and have him focused on this task.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score

ric-flair-woo-gif_nu7jak.gif

This lawsuit only makes sense to me if he has the votes to block the extension.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Oh buddy, I'm not against his credentials. I know all about Dave. He's just about the best of the best and will do just about anything to remain so.
I just hope his involvement with Black Cube and other shady deals to help Weinstein out in covering his stuff up won't embroil him in things you'd rather not have going on and have him focused on this task.

heh I read an article about that case and his involvement in that Black Cube contract. He has the car in reverse right now and the pedal to the metal rofl. He won't make that mistake twice.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The NFL blinked once upon a time...I don't think they are that smart, now.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score

I'm guessing he would have had the votes but the majority of the compensation committee was about to ignore that and bull ahead with the extension anyway. Looks like maybe the Steelers let Jones know about it. To stop it, Jones is threatening a lawsuit now.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

I heard they need 26 of the 32 owners to approve the extension. Based on what has come out. I don't even think the law suit would be necessary as between the Cowboys, Chiefs, Falcons, Giants, Patriots, Steelers and Texans. That's seven nay votes of 32 leaving only 25 yay votes. 25 yay votes won't cut it from what I read.

bud914

Reaction score
not sure why owners are so keen on keeping him. seems he has screwed up everything the last few years and now the NFL ratings are down.

the fans hate him like nobody else ever. IMO it is the perfect time for new leadership even if the Zeke case didn't happen.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I heard they need 26 of the 32 owners to approve the extension. Based on what has come out. I don't even think the law suit would be necessary as between the Cowboys, Chiefs, Falcons, Giants, Patriots, Steelers and Texans. That's seven nay votes of 32 leaving only 25 yay votes. 25 yay votes won't cut it from what I read.
Who said they were all nay votes? I'm certain the Giants are a yay.

bud914

Reaction score
giants? steelers?