Jerry Jones: Spike Was Bad Call***merged***

Nav22

Reaction score
It was only the wrong decision because it did not have the results we all wanted which was another first down and a shot for TD.

People forget that it's also possible that running a quick play can results in a penalty or negative play.
Nope. The result had nothing to do with it being a poor decision at the time it was made. Even if it worked out for us, it was a poor decision.

If we spiked it again on 2nd down, and then again on 3rd down, and then tossed up a Hail Mary on 4th down which was somehow caught for a TD... would that TD make the decision to spike the ball 3 straight times any less idiotic?

It's flat-out stupid to hit when you have 20 in blackjack, even if you luckily get the ace.

haleyrules

Reaction score
yeah I am waiting for the moral victory, and watch the tape and get better, learn from mistakes and move forward, it is football, and we made
football decisions !!
JG said he needed to take a breath and figure out how much time they had and what to do lol
He is such a joke.
more of the same next year guys so stay tuned.

If they do build a super team, he might still find a way to lose.
lol. MIGHT find a way to lose?? He WILL find a way to lose! Thats his best quality!

Aven8

Reaction score
Meh, hindsight is a you know what.

I was yelling at the screen to spike it. It's easy to analyze now, but in the moment it was right. We wanted to score and at minimum kick the field goal. Where we screwed up is not running the ball on 3rd down. That was the mistake! That would of forced GB to call the TO if regardless.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I mean, some teams have specific people assigned to analyze specific things like determining whether to challenge or go for two points.

I would think there would be some value in having someone work with the research team on mathematical analysis of clock management/game situations, and be charged with performing that analysis in game.

Ultimately it will always be the head coach's call on those sorts of things, but it seems within reason to have someone specifically charged with analysis that isn't the head coach given he is thinking through so many things throughout the game.
you dont need that , some of this you should know what your going to do in the various situations, and just do it.

The smart play was to run the ball and make GB use their TO's, let the clock run, and keep your timeout for the FG.
Then the game goes to OT.

If they had run 3 times,they would have got more than 7 yards they did get , and maybe a first down or TD.
GB defense was tired, perfect time to run on them, even the jet sweep, which lucky could take out of bounds if needed,
same for a outside run by elliot.

play for the FG and burn as much clock as possible, if GB had only 12 seconds left and no timeouts, then it goes to OT.

waldoputty

Reaction score
you dont need that , some of this you should know what your going to do in the various situations, and just do it.

The smart play was to run the ball and make GB use their TO's, let the clock run, and keep your timeout for the FG.
Then the game goes to OT.

If they had run 3 times,they would have got more than 7 yards they did get , and maybe a first down or TD.
GB defense was tired, perfect time to run on them, even the jet sweep, which lucky could take out of bounds if needed,
same for a outside run by elliot.

play for the FG and burn as much clock as possible, if GB had only 12 seconds left and no timeouts, then it goes to OT.

You are absolutely right about running on 1st down being a good play.
I do not agree with playing for the FG.
Still would go for the TD first.

conner01

Reaction score
Just another hindsight naysayer. Better one would be "we needed a TD instead of FG?" or "Should have gave the ball to Zek on 3 and 2 on our first drive"....
Or maybe held the other team to just 30 points

waldoputty

Reaction score

Wish he would get that upset over the Cowboys lack of pass rush.

Got to think Jerry is going to force something like he did with taking playcalling away from Garrett.
Lets hope something good comes out of this idiocy.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Who cares what Jerry thinks. He's the one who has kept this incompetent coach who still does not even know the concept of clock management. They both are toxic to this franchise.

Garrett can only succeed if every single thing goes in his favor i.e. QB/RB having MVP years and no key injuries. Any time else, he fails and fails bad. We are never winning a thing with this joke of a head coach.

snapper

Reaction score
Jason Garrett: Jerry not giving (drafting) the defense better d-line talent was a bad call.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
That has to be one of the first times JJ has publicly questioned the Red Clapper Butt Slapper.......not saying there are changes in the works, but maybe just maybe his standing with JJ is not as solid as we think.
Red Clapper the Butt Slapper..... I like that, he is good at those !
yeah I hope jerry is starting to see this guy just cant handle playoff games with the better coaches and teams.

JG's own words were he/they needed to take a breath and figure things out, and it was a mistake.
The team and JG were totally unprepared for what to do in that situation, and it showed.
They didnt get a first down or touchdown, and only got 7 yards in 3 plays counting the spike.
That is pitiful, if they run elliot, or maybe thrown in the jet sweep on a tired GB defense who knows maybe a td,
but surely more than 7 yards, elliot was avg 6 yards a carry.
and running uses more clock and makes GB use their timeouts it is just common sense !

Instead what JG did left 4O seconds, and GB had all 3 timeouts !!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is a disaster in coaching.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Hey Jerry,

Just shut up.

Sincerely,
Cowboys Nation

I hate Jerry and his antics but he's right. Spiking the ball was the most ignorant thing you could do there. I was screaming at the tv when it happened. Wasting a down when you want to score a TD and you still have a timeout? Makes zero sense. Good thing we kept that timeout to ice the kicker, though. That really helped.

Jason tried to pass it off as they spiked it because they wanted to score and it was the best decision to make. Glad his boss is calling him out on the b.s. he spews to the media. At least Jerry will speak his mind at times. Jason is a goofy robot who has never made a mistake. Or he needs to check the tape before he can make any claim.

Trust that process, though.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Red Clapper the Butt Slapper..... I like that, he is good at those !
yeah I hope jerry is starting to see this guy just cant handle playoff games with the better coaches and teams.

JG's own words were he/they needed to take a breath and figure things out, and it was a mistake.
The team and JG were totally unprepared for what to do in that situation, and it showed.
They didnt get a first down or touchdown, and only got 7 yards in 3 plays counting the spike.
That is pitiful, if they run elliot, or maybe thrown in the jet sweep on a tired GB defense who knows maybe a td,
but surely more than 7 yards, elliot was avg 6 yards a carry.
and running uses more clock and makes GB use their timeouts it is just common sense !

Instead what JG did left 4O seconds, and GB had all 3 timeouts !!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is a disaster in coaching.
When does the on the job training with this bozo finally end?

TheHerd

Reaction score
Meh, hindsight is a you know what.

I was yelling at the screen to spike it. It's easy to analyze now, but in the moment it was right. We wanted to score and at minimum kick the field goal. Where we screwed up is not running the ball on 3rd down. That was the mistake! That would of forced GB to call the TO if regardless.

Disagree. I was yelling at the screen when they were about to spike it. Run a play, defense is reeling and tired, even Zeke up the middle was a better call.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
didn't read the article, I just wan forget the whole sorry saga but was it Garrett or lineman who called for the spike?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Who cares what Jerry thinks. He's the one who has kept this incompetent coach who still does not even know the concept of clock management. They both are toxic to this franchise.

Garrett can only succeed if every single thing goes in his favor i.e. QB/RB having MVP years and no key injuries. Any time else, he fails and fails bad. We are never winning a thing with this joke of a head coach.
yes but jason and stephen are friends, so I think that is why JG got the job and has kept it.

The other GB loss was blamed on refs and the catch, and murray, and the defense, this one,
it is more clear why they are losing these games, but some still blaming defense, the players not the coach marinelli, who called the
3 man rush and no one on cook play lol.
And some say well romo would have won, which again comes back to the coaches wanted to go with dak, who did good, but
was he really the right choice to beat GB in this game?

Either way the coaching could lose the game as it was so bad.