Jerry Jones: Spike Was Bad Call***merged***

Aven8

Reaction score
Disagree. I was yelling at the screen when they were about to spike it. Run a play, defense is reeling and tired, even Zeke up the middle was a better call.

He didn't have a play.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I dont remember that.
But I was in amazement after the spike.
Then the rest happened and I was sitting on the floor in disbelief - we had them where we wanted them.

This was the most efficient way to rescue defeat from the jaws of victory that I remember in a playoff game
NO EXCUSE
If Jimmy Johnson was coach, he would just recognize that something needs to be fixed and fix it.
If Jimmy Johnson was coach.......lol then we win easily, EE would have 35 carries for 170 yds and 3 td's
And I hate to say it, but he said he would have played Romo. But with either one, run EE 35 times and you win.

and for sure in that situation, Jimmy would make GB use their TO's and less that 40 sec on the clock.

Settling for a fg and leaving rodgers 40 sec and 3 TO is just insane, any coach who does that should be fired.

And any coach who thinks it is smart to rush 3 and not cover cook on 3rd and 19 should also be fired.

And any OC that gives EE only 22 carries in this game should also be fired !!

So jerry fire all 3 of these bozo's and maybe you get past div round next year!

links18

Reaction score
If Jimmy Johnson was coach.......lol then we win easily, EE would have 35 carries for 170 yds and 3 td's
And I hate to say it, but he said he would have played Romo. But with either one, run EE 35 times and you win.

and for sure in that situation, Jimmy would make GB use their TO's and less that 40 sec on the clock.

Settling for a fg and leaving rodgers 40 sec and 3 TO is just insane, any coach who does that should be fired.

And any coach who thinks it is smart to rush 3 and not cover cook on 3rd and 19 should also be fired.

And any OC that gives EE only 22 carries in this game should also be fired !!

So jerry fire all 3 of these bozo's and maybe you get past div round next year!

I agree with you, but a couple of things. GB has two time outs when they got the ball back--not three. And there was no way GB was going to call TOs on defense as that would give us more time to score. Their best hope on defense there was to hold us to three and go to OT.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Pop Warner coach wouldn't have spiked the ball. It is not only Garrett that makes mistakes I see it at all levels where you wonder what the hell is the head coach doing. You would think an NFL coach would be able to handle all situations in a game as they arise. :rolleyes:

Reactions: BAT

btcutter

Reaction score
Nope. The result had nothing to do with it being a poor decision at the time it was made. Even if it worked out for us, it was a poor decision.

If we spiked it again on 2nd down, and then again on 3rd down, and then tossed up a Hail Mary on 4th down which was somehow caught for a TD... would that TD make the decision to spike the ball 3 straight times any less idiotic?

It's flat-out stupid to hit when you have 20 in blackjack, even if you luckily get the ace.

Sure it does. Your scenario is extreme. Statistics has already proven that % of winning was nearly identical whether you spike or ran another play.

We can draw up a scenario that running a quick play results in disaster as well.

Bottom line is we didn't execute. Simple as that.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Sure it does. Your scenario is extreme. Statistics has already proven that % of winning was nearly identical whether you spike or ran another play.

We can draw up a scenario that running a quick play results in disaster as well.

Those are simulations, not factual numbers.

waldoputty

Reaction score

This is a brain dead simple decision - do not waste 1 of 3 valuable downs to stop the clock when there was plenty of time.
We had enough time to run once or may be twice.
If you complete you passes, you move closer and can always spike the ball later or use the TO.
If you have an incomplete, clock stops.
Despite not executing well, we were in a great position to win in the last minute.
Garrett snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

The most important reason not to fire Garrett is we cannot afford to blow up the system when we are in contention.

Last edited:

Plankton

Reaction score
That would be pretty amazing.

A first time ever hire of a time management coach?

Herm Edwards beat them to the punch. When he was with the Jets, Dick Curl specifically was his time management guy.

Reactions: BAT

visionary

Reaction score
Herm Edwards beat them to the punch. When he was with the Jets, Dick Curl specifically was his time management guy.

That sounds about right
Garrett is about one level above Herm in football IQ mostly because there is nothing below Herm

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Always easy to say in hindsight. We could have easily ran another play or two and ran out of time on a clock run off penalty. Realistically we probably had enough time even if that did happen, but we also have Terrance Williams who may have run around for 20 seconds trying to get 5 extra yards, lol.

On the opposite side what if that timeout iced the kicker, then would it have been a waste? What if we got a stop on a low percentage 1st down on 3rd and 20 would the discussion be irrelevant? So many variables... Bottom line it didnt work in our favor, but the spike isnt the sole reason we lost...