Jerry Jones won't make major overhaul: Cowboys 'closer than this record indicates'

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see this being an extremely aggressive offseason. Jerry has signed off on the conservative approach the last two seasons. His age is catching up to him (two hip surgeries) and I know he wants Romo to win a ring...he knows it could be a few seasons until we have a QB we can win with.

I could see an aggressive pursuit for a running back or a playmaker on defense. I don't see Peterson coming but I could see something shocking happen.

ezekiel elliott?

robjay04

Reaction score
ezekiel elliott?

That wouldn't be too aggressive unless we traded down in the first or up in the second. No way he is picked in the top 5. A couple good running backs are entering their contract years though, who knows what will happen after the crazy trades we saw last year.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
If we had been having Patriots like success over the last 5-6 years - I can understand such confidence in the organization.

We've been 6-10, 8-8, 8-8, 8-8, 12-4 and now about to be 4-12. 1 winning season in 6 years - in a league of parity, with a franchise QB.

None of that is a ringing endorsement for the 'new management' or for that goofy ginger 'coach' you so adamantly defend.

We are talking draft.

And to have Pats success all we need is one of the best quarterbacks and coaches of all time.

And that duo actually is succeeding despite the relatively poor draft results for the Pats.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
That wouldn't be too aggressive unless we traded down in the first or up in the second. No way he is picked in the top 5. A couple good running backs are entering their contract years though, who knows what will happen after the crazy trades we saw last year.

what would be aggressive in your opinion.

scottsp

Reaction score
Prior to the 2001 season, with his club in steep and rather obvious decline, Jerry put 10-6 out there as his expectation for a bunch led by Quincy Carter, who at the time had not taken an NFL snap. Even in his culture of sell! sell! sell! you would think some degree of honest reflection would be in order. There was a short time I felt this was just the face Jerry revealed to the public, fronting a far more honest assessment among him and his inner circle over at the Ranch. Looking back, I have no idea what I was thinking there.

Regardless of its actual state, be it a period of prosperity or adversity, this organization typically responds as if they're "close," internally and otherwise. On a macro level, they make a great case. But seeing this thing operate on a day-to-day, the dysfunction within and obvious disconnect are not likely to change. The Cowboys have been close for 20 seasons now. Two postseason wins speak to that.

So yeah, grain of salt with this one.

robjay04

Reaction score
what would be aggressive in your opinion.

A trade for La'veon Bell? Maybe send Sean Lee back to Pittsburgh to play for his favorite team with a second round pick.

Lol...I know unrealistic but aggressive. I could see some headlines this offseason though. I don't know what it would be though. I never been so excited for the end of a football season in my life.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see this being an extremely aggressive offseason. Jerry has signed off on the conservative approach the last two seasons. His age is catching up to him (two hip surgeries) and I know he wants Romo to win a ring...he knows it could be a few seasons until we have a QB we can win with.

I could see an aggressive pursuit for a running back or a playmaker on defense. I don't see Peterson coming but I could see something shocking happen.

Agreed-I think they will make a serious run at a couple of defensive fa's and the offense will get an injection of talent via draft.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
The only way we were going to get Phillips was as a head coach. Jerry later said that he had wanted to make Garrett the HC from the start, but that it would have been a "deal breaker" for Phillips.

How crazy is that? The had one single season as a coach on any level and Jerry thought that was a great idea.

It's like giving a 14 year old a new Ferrari.

BHendri5

Reaction score
It's funny reading people who still think Jerry runs our front office and player acquisition.

I'm sure he noticed David Irving over in Kansas City late one night studying tape and put in a call and made it happen.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

Yes it is, that shows you how much people let the media feed them info. The media is still saying that Jerry does this and Jerry does that.
I'm glad that someone else in here knows that Jerry is not running the show, only his mouth at times.

Besides what changes are they expecting? What a new HC? why? we do not need one. Who would be hired to replace Garrett? I guess they want another retread, or someone that has been sitting out for years now. Geez these people are nuts,

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
After a Cowboys season that began with Super Bowl hopes ends with double-digit losses, many would expect Jerry Jones to be make significant offseason changes.

But the Cowboys owner and general manager said the opposite Tuesday morning.

Why?

Jones believes this team is much closer to the Super Bowl than its 4-11 record indicates. He noted that there will be the regular changes that occur every NFL offseason, free agents leave, free agents are added and a new batch of draft picks are selected.

But don't expect a major roster overhaul.

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...e-change-changes-sake-closer-record-indicates

Just remember people:

http://i1133.***BLOCKED***/albums/m600/DWAREZIZ/jerry-jones-laugh.jpg

http://i1133.***BLOCKED***/albums/m600/DWAREZIZ/garretts1stgame.jpg

Eddie

Reaction score
JJ is under the impression that Tony Romo will play another 4 to 5 years, and all will be well.

Here's to all the jokers who believed we would run the tables once Romo got back from his injury. Heck, he couldn't even make it another 2 games.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
JJ is under the impression that Tony Romo will play another 4 to 5 years, and all will be well.

Here's to all the jokers who believed we would run the tables once Romo got back from his injury. Heck, he couldn't even make it another 2 games.

http://i1133.***BLOCKED***/albums/m600/DWAREZIZ/GUFPYQ.jpg

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
2rf52yw.jpg

Forever a fan. DIE HARD POR VIDA!!

coult44

Reaction score
I don't get what he said that was so wrong? He said the coaches need to better, I think we all agree. He said the QB for both short and long term needs to be addressed and it will, I think we all agree. He said the run game and OL was pretty good, again, I agree, especially since Dmac was named the starter and got the bulk of the carries and to think he wouldn't have more yard if both a healthy Romo and Dez were playin every game is just silly, of course he would have. So he is right about Dmac. What is so delusional.. I agree, we are alot closer to going to a SB than most 4-11 teams I have seen.

And the reason JJ will never change things. He has fans like you convinced.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
It's funny reading people who still think Jerry runs our front office and player acquisition.

I'm sure he noticed David Irving over in Kansas City late one night studying tape and put in a call and made it happen.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

he should compare his preseason prediction of McFadden with the actual results, then quietly go sit in a corner with a dunce cap on.

coult44

Reaction score
His stance has never changed. Only voices that say this team needs to be broken up is fans and media who dont cover the Cowboys. Any fan who really follows this team or writer who covers this team exclusively has said this and has never once said the opposite.

A healthy romo in 2016 a tough yardage RB a CB and a S who can intimidate in the middle, and this team is back right in the mix of it.

Romo will be back in 2016
Drafting a guy like Henry or Perkins in round 2
This draft has alot of nice CBs
Drafting Jeremy Cash in round 3

The NFL has become so close that dallas is literally a total of 31 pts from being 11-4 instead of 4-11.

Romo will never plays more than 10 games in a season again.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Jerry is right. We are closer to a Super Bowl than the record indicates.

So what? That means zippa dee doo daa.

The only way the team couldn't be closer to one is if Romo retired this year.

That's not the point.

There is nothing in the coaching staff that indicates this team can ever legitimately contend for a Super Bowl.