Twitter: Jerry: Kyle Pitts and Visions of Sugar Plums

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Interesting that he faced Horn and Surtain, and thought Horn was the tougher match up.
That’s because Horn was in his face all game long. He was a nightmare for Pitts because the refs weren’t throwing flags that day. When I saw that Jerry had asked him that question, I knew that Horn was going to be the answer.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Now in fairness, Aerolith is an Eagles fan. So his posting about TEs being unimportant could simply be him setting up his disappointment if the Cowboys take Pitts. This way he can try to convince himself the Cowboys made a massive error.
This is the answer.

What is worse for him is that Philly traded back and away from the chance to take Pitts. If he goes to Dallas and becomes what people think he will, it’ll be a Philly fans worst case scenario.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
6 points and keeping the ball out of the oppositions hand during the game is a game changer.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
This is the answer.

What is worse for him is that Philly traded back and away from the chance to take Pitts. If he goes to Dallas and becomes what people think he will, it’ll be a Philly fans worst case scenario.

I think Philly realized they weren’t going to get Pitts. I see it as 3 QBs, then Pitts, and then Sewell or Chase. So, Philly most likely lost out on Sewell or Chase. That is a potential big loss. I think Philly is gambling that there is not much difference between Sewell and Slater or Darrisaw, and not much difference between Chase and Waddle and Devonte Smith.

Philly screwed up the last two drafts by taking Whiteside over Metcalf and Reagor over Jefferson. Had Philly guessed right, they could have had Metcalf, Jefferson, and Chase.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I think Philly realized they weren’t going to get Pitts. I see it as 3 QBs, then Pitts, and then Sewell or Chase. So, Philly most likely lost out on Sewell or Chase. That is a potential big loss. I think Philly is gambling that there is not much difference between Sewell and Slater or Darrisaw, and not much difference between Chase and Waddle and Devonte Smith.

Philly screwed up the last two drafts by taking Whiteside over Metcalf and Reagor over Jefferson. Had Philly guessed right, they could have had Metcalf, Jefferson, and Chase.
Lol, yeah, they’ve been missing big time on WR’s. Really just about everywhere.

However, when Philly made that trade back to 12 though, Pitts stock wasn’t quite as high at that point. It was prior to his pro day and the hype train wasn’t at full steam ahead. He was being looked at as likely to go after Sewell and Chase. That was the 3 QB’s, Sewell and Chase, putting Pitts at 6th overall.

There were a good bit of mocks showing Pitts to Philly.

Now though, you’re right... Pitts is likely to be gone by 6.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
There have been many TEs that have had a huge impact as an offensive weapon.
Gronk
Kelce
Witten
Sharp.
Just to name a few off the top of my head.

Yet their numbers still pale to a glorified number 2 WR. They have a huge impact only when compared to other TE’s

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is the 3rd meeting with Pitts now I believe. I don’t see this being a smokescreen. This is a good chunk of calls for a guy they won’t have a shot ** unless it’s a big trade up to 4

Agree 100%.......as for I'm concern until he's drafted by a team not name Cowboys, all options are in play.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Looks like Jerry was "kissing up" to someone he knows might be haunting him in the future! :facepalm:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Not sure you have a firm grasp of positional football. Too much Madden.

Also, we can’t forget this guy

https://www.profootballhof.com/players/tony-gonzalez/

I didn’t think Madden was that bad of a color commentary.

Tony Gonzalez is another example of why not to go high in the draft for TE. He has only 1 more championship game appearance than Witten, and that wasn’t KC, it was in Atlanta where they would have gone without him. Would you take a fullback too in the top 10 if he was good enough?

22nd best out of 22 positions only because few start FBs anymore. Why do you think TE gets paid dramatically less than WR? Amari Cooper makes 33% more AAV Than the highest paid TE in nfl history! AMARI COOPER. Year 7, 0 1200 yard seasons, 0 10 TD seasons, TE salaries don’t come close to his. 4 TE’s drafted in the top 16 of the nfl draft the last 18 years. Only 4. 2 lions, 1 bengal, 1 9er. How do you think those teams feel about those picks today? If you have a top 10 pick, you need roster help badly. TE does not bring you closer to winning. It’s a pick that could have been used on an important position. Imagine Detroit if they had a couple more real pass rushers instead of throwing top picks away at TE.

Shannon Sharpe has 2 rings, yes. He also had a rb who combined for 3800 rushing yards those 2 years. He also had an all time QB. He also had a stout defense. You think Elway is Ringless without Shannon sharpe? Not a chance. Gronk had almost no impact on the playoff runs where he won his rings. Wasn’t even on the roster for the Atlanta ring all through those playoffs and they won anyway. They beat SF by holding them to 3 points, didn’t need gronk.

NFL front offices don’t pay TEs the biggest money, don’t draft TEs with the highest picks, and the best TEs in NFL history, Witten, Gonzalez, Winslow, Gates, hardly ever make championship games much less superbowls. What other position has so little success at the top of its hierarchy? It’s a glitz and glamour pick, put up nice pretty stats and throw away a high draft pick that could be used on an important position.

QB, lines, pass rush. Defensive backfield.... weapons are frosting. You don’t add them while you’re still mixing the cake... and you want the least impactful weapon? TE’s are an important position, but so is kicker. Nobody is spending a top 10 on that either. Someone will draft Pitts, he could very well put up fancy stats and maybe even make the hall of fame. They’ll even act like it was some kind of home run pick. And that team will still be no closer to winning than before they drafted him.

Last edited:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
56my6g.jpg
Is that Pappy and Risen?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Pitts is an outstanding prospect but I do wonder how much of this is just smoke by the Cowboys to draw interest from teams who are also eyeing Pitts?

Sydla

Reaction score
I didn’t think Madden was that bad of a color commentary.

Tony Gonzalez is another example of why not to go high in the draft for TE. He has only 1 more championship game appearance than Witten, and that wasn’t KC, it was in Atlanta where they would have gone without him. Would you take a fullback too in the top 10 if he was good enough?

22nd best out of 22 positions only because few start FBs anymore. Why do you think TE gets paid dramatically less than WR? Amari Cooper makes 33% more AAV Than the highest paid TE in nfl history! AMARI COOPER. Year 7, 0 1200 yard seasons, 0 10 TD seasons, TE salaries don’t come close to his. 4 TE’s drafted in the top 16 of the nfl draft the last 18 years. Only 4. 2 lions, 1 bengal, 1 9er. How do you think those teams feel about those picks today? If you have a top 10 pick, you need roster help badly. TE does not bring you closer to winning. It’s a pick that could have been used on an important position. Imagine Detroit if they had a couple more real pass rushers instead of throwing top picks away at TE.

Shannon Sharpe has 2 rings, yes. He also had a rb who combined for 3800 rushing yards those 2 years. He also had an all time QB. He also had a stout defense. You think Elway is Ringless without Shannon sharpe? Not a chance. Gronk had almost no impact on the playoff runs where he won his rings. Wasn’t even on the roster for the Atlanta ring all through those playoffs and they won anyway. They beat SF by holding them to 3 points, didn’t need gronk.

NFL front offices don’t pay TEs the biggest money, don’t draft TEs with the highest picks, and the best TEs in NFL history, Witten, Gonzalez, Winslow, Gates, hardly ever make championship games much less superbowls. What other position has so little success at the top of its hierarchy? It’s a glitz and glamour pick, put up nice pretty stats and throw away a high draft pick that could be used on an important position.

QB, lines, pass rush. Defensive backfield.... weapons are frosting. You don’t add them while you’re still mixing the cake... and you want the least impactful weapon? TE’s are an important position, but so is kicker. Nobody is spending a top 10 on that either. Someone will draft Pitts, he could very well put up fancy stats and maybe even make the hall of fame. They’ll even act like it was some kind of home run pick. And that team will still be no closer to winning than before they drafted him.

Nice indirect jab at Cooper there.