Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The worlds dumbest GM is already kissing lombardi trophies and talking about super bowls.

I hope Martin causes a huge problem and sits out all summer. Of course the boot licking fans of this franchise side with the morons who own the team, pretty comical to read the comments about honoring contracts in this thread.
its mind boggling to me that you hope a key player doesnt come to camp just to make things difficult..... unreal.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I don’t think so. I just wonder why he wants to get more money. I mean other than the obvious. He got the money he asked for and has 2 years left. I am surprised he is doing this. Maybe he will retire after his contract is up.
Martin is 33.... he will be 35 when his deal is up and much more difficult fo rhim to demand big bucks at that age... thats why he is doing this now. Kind of like Dak demanding only a 4 year deal. Dak knows he needed to get back to the table as quick as possible to cash in on all those brand new QB deals that were just signed.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Luv the guy, but he has a deal and is 33. Guard is fairly easy to replace. He needs to be here.
There are OGs and then there are OGs. Martin is one of the very best. They are not a dime a dozen. He would not be easily replaced for this season…and perhaps not the next

glimmerman

Reaction score
Disagree with you. Jerry, IMO, is doing exactly what he should do. He is not caving to one of the best players that has ever played G in the history of the game. So hes sending the message to everyone.... we will not redo contracts. Jerry cant say anything to Zack's face, he isnt around. There is no doubt they have also already said those words to Zack, through his agent. Dont piss him off????? This is only about money. Players always say "Its about respect." lol.. the only way they think they are shown respect is through that paycheck.
It’s strange. I think this has to do with his agent. They know a bunch of money is coming to the cap. Players are wanting to get some. But Martin pretty much named his deal from what JJ said. Martin threw out a number and JJ paid it. I get both sides and Martin will show up and play. I also don’t want him to pick up his toys and go home.

Creeper

Reaction score
I would have no problem restructuring his contract and extending him a year or so. Make his pay a signing bonus. Don’t play games with the best RG in the game. If he aint the best he is right there with them and will be for a while. And he has been a good leader. Don’t piss him off but I understand JJ taking a stance. But I would do it to his face and not in an interview. Keep this stuff behind closed doors.
I think this is the answer. It allows Jerry to throw more money at Martin without looking like he caved in. Martin has 2 voided years on his current contract. Why not extend him into those two years and pay him a signing bonus now to appease him? Martin has been one the the top guards his entire career. He will be in the HoF one day. It almost sounds like Jerry is planning on moving on from Martin after his deal is up after 2024.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Martin is 33.... he will be 35 when his deal is up and much more difficult fo rhim to demand big bucks at that age... thats why he is doing this now. Kind of like Dak demanding only a 4 year deal. Dak knows he needed to get back to the table as quick as possible to cash in on all those brand new QB deals that were just signed.
Martin is the best and likely will still be in a few years. I would have no problem extending him 2 years. But I would preferred this be done behind closed doors. Not showing up is a good way to get his attention.

MikeB80

Reaction score
its mind boggling to me that you hope a key player doesnt come to camp just to make things difficult..... unreal.
I am not a cowboys fan so that should clear that up.

I hope jerry keeps talking to the media and basically telling martin play or else while kissing the lombardi trophy and signing autographs for zombies who worship this horrible guy. This is all great to me.

the fact that fans of this organization believe this is a good idea is even more fantastic to me.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think this is the answer. It allows Jerry to throw more money at Martin without looking like he caved in. Martin has 2 voided years on his current contract. Why not extend him into those two years and pay him a signing bonus now to appease him? Martin has been one the the top guards his entire career. He will be in the HoF one day. It almost sounds like Jerry is planning on moving on from Martin after his deal is up after 2024.
I agree but it’s turning into a peeing contest doing it through the media. Both want respect. JJ would be crazy to let Martin walk, especially with the 2 voided years he could pick up.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
It's concerning that people think Martin is our best player on the team.

glimmerman

Reaction score
but it is jerry !! this is why he goes to TC! microphones all over the place.
I thought it was obvious BS to use parsons as an excuse. But jerry has already decided who he wants to extend next. Martin is one of them.
True. The showman has to put on a show. Soon there will be plenty of money to throw around if it’s done correctly.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
Come playoff time, the run game gets stagnant and the pass protection breaks down.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
I am not a cowboys fan so that should clear that up.

I hope jerry keeps talking to the media and basically telling martin play or else while kissing the lombardi trophy and signing autographs for zombies who worship this horrible guy. This is all great to me.

the fact that fans of this organization believe this is a good idea is even more fantastic to me.
Listen, if you are not a Cowboy Fan, then why are you even in here?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Martin didn’t choose anything. The Cowboys chose to convert base to bonus for salary cap purposes.

Many here are talking like they understand this stuff when they don’t.

Here’s another thing. Martin has a 23 million cap hit next year. Jerry is going to have to do something with that anyway. So he’s going to have to rework the deal somehow or cut him.
It did not upset him at that time, did it?