Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

Rayman70

Reaction score
the sitch is this. Zack has been paid and at the time, paid at the highest rate for his position. The fact is, he WAS paid and IS PAID. He has 2 years left. I say get into camp and let that be your negotiating terms later during the season. I know at some point before the contract runs its course, Jerry will extend him and he will get a pay raise, but not a minute sooner. We have far 2 many other needs. This bs I hear from the TV experts and even many youtubers saying "PAY THE MAN" are just ridiculous and dumb. The Mike Fishers of the world do that junk as well. Just stop it guys. Even if he doesn't start week 1, something is very wrong with our player evaluations if we can't plug in a capable RG until he gets here. He plays guard, not QB. I just have 2 laugh sometimes when I hear people act like the season will be lost without a RG, even of Zacks caliber. BTW, if a 33 year old guard is the reason we lose games, then we did something wrong. We weren't gonna win anyway then. Get a dude ready. Its the NFL. Jerry is doing the right thing.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Lol…which is?

His value to the Cowboys the next couple years far outweighs what they would get for him via trade.
Luv the guy, but he has a deal and is 33. Guard is fairly easy to replace. He needs to be here.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Lol…which is?

His value to the Cowboys the next couple years far outweighs what they would get for him via trade.
And thats the issue. We place far too much value and loyalty on a player for way 2 long. thats JERRY 101.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Overpaid. We'll be waiting until the end of his career to live up to the deal he was given.
maybe... you think... but go around the entire league and tell me which QBs are not "Overpaid?"

Mahomes is the next Brady, its his world and everyone else is trying to get a crumb. Qbs here and there will squeak in and get a ring, but the vast majority never will.... yet MANY will be making BIG HUGE QB DOLLARS. But you somehow think Jerry is the only moron in the league and doesnt know what hes doing.

1. Lamar Jackson, Ravens: $52 million
2. Jalen Hurts, Eagles: $51 million
3. Aaron Rodgers, Packers: $50.3 million
4. Russell Wilson, Broncos: $48.5 million
5. Kyler Murray, Cardinals: $46.1 million
6. Deshaun Watson, Browns: $46 million
7. Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs: $45 million
8. Josh Allen, Bills: $43 million
T-9. Matthew Stafford, Rams: $40 million
T-9. Dak Prescott, Cowboys: $40 million
T-9. Daniel Jones, Giants: $40 million
12. Derek Carr, Saints: $37.5 million
13. Kirk Cousins, Vikings: $35 million
14. Jared Goff, Lions: $33.5 million

So the Ravens were smart with their deal for a qb that has to run to have any shot at winning? Hurts had a great season last year... but he was not good in his previous seasons. Wilson .... hes been horrible for 3 years now, Murray.... nothing needs to be said, Watson.... same, What has Allen done?, Jones???

Point is only 4 out of those 14 qbs have won a title.... and you can say qb XXX will never win one, until they do. Dak may never win one, but he certainly could.

Rayman70

Reaction score
he's made enough, he might just decide to retire.
Thats a distinct possibility. If camp is for seeing what we have behind guys like Zack, lets do this. Lets see if Edoga can be a decent starter at RG. Lets see if Asim Richards might be able to fill in. Lets see if Farniok can be a viable guard. A 33 year old player shouldn't be holding the team hostage, especially a guard. No matter how great he may be.

Jarntt

Reaction score
And thats the issue. We place far too much value and loyalty on a player for way 2 long. thats JERRY 101.
Far too much value on a player who is a perennial All Pro and likely will be this year again and will be a sure fire first ballot HOFer and in the Ring of Honor? Don't portray it as he is the same as some other players we have had here and the team discussed contracts with. Each case stands on its own. I'm not sure value gets any higher than Zack Martin...

Sydla

Reaction score
"Everybody wants to get paid" and I can't blame 'em for that, but these days "wants to get paid" usually turns into extreme personal greed at the expense of one's team mates.
OK, so you think Martin doesn’t care about team success and just wants a big pay day?

Sydla

Reaction score
In March 2023 Zach chose to convert 11.8 million into a signing bonus, and now he wants a raise...lol
Stay steadfast Jerry, these are the contracts with greedy agents that destroy, will destroy your cap projections.
Not about the player so much, but the agents are ambulance chasers on meth.
Martin didn’t choose anything. The Cowboys chose to convert base to bonus for salary cap purposes.

Many here are talking like they understand this stuff when they don’t.

Here’s another thing. Martin has a 23 million cap hit next year. Jerry is going to have to do something with that anyway. So he’s going to have to rework the deal somehow or cut him.

Sydla

Reaction score
here:
There’s a common misconception, one that I’ve perpetuated a time or two, that the Cowboys are likely to cave in the Ezekiel Elliott holdout because they caved in the 1993 Emmitt Smith holdout. As PFT’s Charean Williams explained last week on PFT Live and mentioned in a Wednesday item on the Elliott holdout, the Cowboys didn’t cave on Emmitt.

It was Emmitt who abandoned his demand for quarterback money after two regular-season games in 1993, accepting an offer that made him the highest-paid running back in football.

The Cowboys played the first two games of the 1993 season without Emmitt Smith, going 0-2. But they never backed down. Instead, Smith agreed to the deal that made him the highest-paid running back in football at the time but didn’t pay him the quarterback money he wanted.

More:
The popularly-held version of the story is that Smith was holding out for a bigger paycheck from the Dallas front office, but Smith was quick to clarify what really happened.
“I didn’t hold out,” Smith corrected. “Holding out is when you have a contract, and you want more money. My contract was over. I had fulfilled my obligations.”

So no, this is not close to the same thing. Smith had no contract, Martin still has 2 years left on his deal. Very different, especially to an old school guy like Jerry that is a business man and Im sure a deal is a deal means something to him on a personal level.
And yet he caved to Elliott. Which was a dumb decision. But now he’s going to hold the line on Martin? LOL, typical Jerry.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jerry Jones channeling his inner Shania Twain, "So, you're holding out in pre-season? That don't impress me much"

GMO415

Reaction score
When Zack's tired of spending the equivalent of a new Mercedes each day, he'll show up.

Sydla

Reaction score
the sitch is this. Zack has been paid and at the time, paid at the highest rate for his position. The fact is, he WAS paid and IS PAID. He has 2 years left. I say get into camp and let that be your negotiating terms later during the season. I know at some point before the contract runs its course, Jerry will extend him and he will get a pay raise, but not a minute sooner. We have far 2 many other needs. This bs I hear from the TV experts and even many youtubers saying "PAY THE MAN" are just ridiculous and dumb. The Mike Fishers of the world do that junk as well. Just stop it guys. Even if he doesn't start week 1, something is very wrong with our player evaluations if we can't plug in a capable RG until he gets here. He plays guard, not QB. I just have 2 laugh sometimes when I hear people act like the season will be lost without a RG, even of Zacks caliber. BTW, if a 33 year old guard is the reason we lose games, then we did something wrong. We weren't gonna win anyway then. Get a dude ready. Its the NFL. Jerry is doing the right thing.
LOL if Martin were to retire, let’s say, the Cowboys cleary aren’t as good and likely not a legitimate contender for the NFCE. Martin is that important to OL cohesion. Biadasz and Steele aren’t as good if they don’t have Martin in between them.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
The sad part is that for those of us that know the value of keeping our word, as a man, know that this shouldn’t even be a debate

it goes much deeper than greed as well. Thre are 2 types of people in this country, the givers and the takers. Half of the country doesn’t pay federal taxes and is on the dole for every conceivable giveaway from section 8 housing, welfare, food stamps, free phones, etc, and those are the side that can’t conceive of there being any consequence to unlimited spending and most likely to have never been taught what it means to keep one’s word because of so many broken families without real fathers

the other half was raised to know that a man’s word is his bond. He pays his taxes, raises his children, gives to charities and pulls himself up by his bootstraps and doesn’t have someone else support him and his family

I like Martin but don’t respect his position on this
At the beginning of training camp, Jerry said he didn't have any comments on the Martin deal. So why didn't he just keep it behind closed doors.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's an expensive vacation at $50K a day.

I wish Jerry had taken such an approach during the Zeke holdout.
Did they invoke that yet, starting to fine him.
I know it is an NFL thing about the amount and the fines can't be waived. But is it an NFL rule now that automatically kicks in. Or does the team have to initiate the start of it?

Sydla

Reaction score
At the beginning of training camp, Jerry said he didn't have any comments on the Martin deal. So why didn't he just keep it behind closed doors.
Because Jerry likes to hear himself talk. His son has the same problem.

The funny thing about his whining about needing money for Parsons is that Martin is a 23 million cap hit next year with a couple of dummy years after that. Jerry could easily rework Martin, give him some more guaranteed money and still have the cap space to deal with Parsons.

He’s just being a stubborn fool at this point. Where was this hardline when he stupidly overpaid Elliott during his hold out?

MikeB80

Reaction score
The worlds dumbest GM is already kissing lombardi trophies and talking about super bowls.

I hope Martin causes a huge problem and sits out all summer. Of course the boot licking fans of this franchise side with the morons who own the team, pretty comical to read the comments about honoring contracts in this thread.

glimmerman

Reaction score
how are we losing Martin??? You think he is going to retire?
I don’t think so. I just wonder why he wants to get more money. I mean other than the obvious. He got the money he asked for and has 2 years left. I am surprised he is doing this. Maybe he will retire after his contract is up.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
And yet he caved to Elliott. Which was a dumb decision. But now he’s going to hold the line on Martin? LOL, typical Jerry.
Zeke was viewed as critical to the team having any shot at a SB that season. Zeke was the best RB in football at that point, Zeke was YOUNG...... to say typical Jerry is not being fair. Had we not got Zeke in for the start of the season Jerry would have been blasted for that.

We also didnt have Micah Parsons sitting in the background waiting for his huge payday that is going to make him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history.... and you know that is coming.