Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

mcmvp

Reaction score
I don't remember Jerry being so forthright.
I get his point… But this is why you don’t want your owner being your general manager. And you don’t want that same owner/GM being somebody that’s never said no to a microphone. Some discussions are just best kept behind doors. Hard/harsh truths are best discussed in private. It probably pissed Martin off a bit.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I don't remember Jerry being so forthright.
great point. I think Jerry means what he says in the plainest of terms. Again, I agree with Jerry in this instance. Zack is a 33 year old RG with 2 years still left on his deal. I say promise to re-visit his deal next offseason via extension. But I wouldn't do it now. It just doesn't make good business sense for multiple reasons. I think hes getting bad advice. Zack is the Jason Witten of the Guard position. All time great, but he shouldn't come before the team needs. Jerry is saying that more or less. I feel it will all work out pretty soon.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Wasn't saying this when Zeke held out on his rookie contract.
Instead, he was getting out his pen and checkbook.

I believe Jerald has learned from the Zeke/Dak fiascos.
In the end he will restructure Martin's contract and Martin will play until he is 36.
Dak's huge contract continues to be our dark cloud.

coult44

Reaction score
LOL.... drugs are bad, man. Look what the contracts to Dak and Zeke did to the team. Now Zack is demanding a share because he knows, like the rest of the NFL knows, Jerry WILL cave.

Brilliant businessmen don't cave like Jerry does. If selling the brand is what you are considering 'brilliant', then I guess you might be onto something. Otherwise, he's done a schitty job as a GM for far too long. "Brilliant' isn't a word I would use to describe what Jerry has done to the franchise.
What part of these words “brilliant businessman” says anything about a his job as a GM? Comprehension was a subject at every level of school my friend…If you don’t think that a man who gets a loan and has nothing to his name, then becomes a billionaire is not brilliant then we have something else to discuss as well…

plymkr

Reaction score
I’m not a fan of players holding out like this, but Martin doesn’t need late July training camp so I’m not worried. But why can’t Jerry just say nothing? What kind of a jackas5 owner says this? If I’m Martin I definitely get a little pissed off at that comment. I don’t know if it is taken out of context but it sure reads as a slight to me When you say the reason you aren’t paying him is because you want to pay another player and specifically mention that player or allude to your other guys you have to pay as being a priority. Your priorities are your elite super stars and we have 2 and Martin is one of them. Just say nothing for once instead picking one of the best players to ever wear the uniform and who still is one of the best in the league as your time to make a stand.
Narcissists always have to say something. It’s part of the disorder. For a narcissist to not have attention is like me and you not having air. Narcissists truly feel like they’re dying if the attention is not on them.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
His play is "degrading" so much that he was first team all pro last year. That means he was considered the absolute best at his position in the NFL and you think his play is degrading... this is a good way to tell me you know nothing about football without telling me you know nothing about football.
His play is not so much degrading as there are more great OGs in the league now. If our starting tackles hadnt already been entrenched, Zach may have played tackle, his college position. Zach is still a legit top 5 guard. Where he stands within that top 5 would have to be determined by coaches and scouts who study the tape all the time. As for All Pro, let’s not forget that the only people who vote on that are certain AP reporters. It’s definitely a sign that he’s one of the best, but not necessarily still one of the top 2. Who knows? You just cannot cave in to every veteran, not even a star, when you once made him the top paid guard just because some other guys have passed him now.

In my opinion, even the best player at his position cannot ask for more every time another guy gets more. Even the QBs don’t do that. We will likely make Parsons the highest paid pass rusher at some point. Are we going to redo HIS contract every year so he is always the top guy. If Dak won MVP one year and took us deep into the playoffs, I wouldn’t give him a raise either. He signed a big contract. Ask for your raise when it’s run it’s course.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Zeke was viewed as critical to the team having any shot at a SB that season. Zeke was the best RB in football at that point, Zeke was YOUNG...... to say typical Jerry is not being fair. Had we not got Zeke in for the start of the season Jerry would have been blasted for that.

We also didnt have Micah Parsons sitting in the background waiting for his huge payday that is going to make him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history.... and you know that is coming.
Dallas can use the 5th year option on Micah.

Gonna be a while before he’s paid.

Meanwhile, our All Pro elite RG wants paid.

Sydla

Reaction score
Zeke was viewed as critical to the team having any shot at a SB that season. Zeke was the best RB in football at that point, Zeke was YOUNG...... to say typical Jerry is not being fair. Had we not got Zeke in for the start of the season Jerry would have been blasted for that.

We also didnt have Micah Parsons sitting in the background waiting for his huge payday that is going to make him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history.... and you know that is coming.
Elliott was a TB in a league getting away from paying big bucks to TBs. Jerry stupidly buckled. Plus, recall Dallas’ stance on Murray saying TBs fall off quickly and don’t last the length of long contracts. Then they did a 180 on Elliott.

As for Paraons, again, Martin has a 23 million cap hit next year. Plus some dummy years. A new extension could actually help with Parsons.

And Martin being 33 is meaningless. He can probably play for another 3-4 years and was just an all pro last year. We aren’t talking about some guy that sucked last year and is hanging on by a thread.

NotForLong

Reaction score
The worlds dumbest GM is already kissing lombardi trophies and talking about super bowls.

I hope Martin causes a huge problem and sits out all summer. Of course the boot licking fans of this franchise side with the morons who own the team, pretty comical to read the comments about honoring contracts in this thread.
Exactly . . . I hope Martin remains a thorn in Jerry's side all off season

exciter

Reaction score
I would have no problem restructuring his contract and extending him a year or so. Make his pay a signing bonus. Don’t play games with the best RG in the game. If he aint the best he is right there with them and will be for a while. And he has been a good leader. Don’t piss him off but I understand JJ taking a stance. But I would do it to his face and not in an interview. Keep this stuff behind closed doors.
They just restructured his contract during FA. Converted most of his 12m base this season to bonus. He’s trying to double dip… simple as that!

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
The worlds dumbest GM is already kissing lombardi trophies and talking about super bowls.

I hope Martin causes a huge problem and sits out all summer. Of course the boot licking fans of this franchise side with the morons who own the team, pretty comical to read the comments about honoring contracts in this thread.
I hate greedy players. All players should honor the contract THEY FRIGGIN SIGNED. Period. End of story.

But guess what, I hate Jerry and his spawn far more. The franchise would be better off if the two of them ended up going the Kobe Bryant route.

So where does that put me in regards to your 'boot licking fans' comment?

acr731

Reaction score
What part of these words “brilliant businessman” says anything about a his job as a GM? Comprehension was a subject at every level of school my friend…If you don’t think that a man who gets a loan and has nothing to his name, then becomes a billionaire is not brilliant then we have something else to discuss as well…
Jerry is a pile of cow crap..... stop defending him.

Edit: Actually, let me rephrase this. If you want to defend Jerry, fine - you be you. But don't insist that everyone else have the same opinion as you. As I just said, I think Jerry is a pile of cow crap. He ruined a franchise I have loved since I was 10 years old and turned it into a vomit inducing circus. If you want to kiss his butt, you go right ahead. I won't be joining you.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
How is this different when teams do the same, except in reverse? Rams are trying that with Stafford now. they back loaded the contract and benefitted. Now he is getting paid big money in his later years and they want him to restructure. So many fans love when teams can get their guys signed as cheaply as possible. But these owners have brainwashed the masses into thinking this is some player's thing and fans take the owner's side. He's doing nothing different than what owners do all the time. When they think a player isn't worth their current deal. Well Martin thinks he is worth a lot more than his current deal.

Integrity? When it comes to NFL owners? Bwahahahaha. Good one.
A contract is only judged by guaranteed money. The end years are only for spreading out cap money. You don't count that really.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I hate greedy players. All players should honor the contract THEY FRIGGIN SIGNED. Period. End of story.

But guess what, I hate Jerry and his spawn far more. The franchise would be better off if the two of them ended up going the Kobe Bryant route.

So where does that put me in regards to your 'boot licking fans' comment?
I totally agree with you on principal, but those NFL contracts are so sketchy for players...
Much less so for teams who manipulate those contracts left and right.
I dunno.
He's a guy that has lived up to his monetary value and he looks to continue doing so despite this dispute.
He's also a guy who, despite all his good work, can easily be discarded for zippo after this contract and he's trying to extend his income and career.

I can't fault a guy for looking after himself.

Maybe you can. Maybe you give of yourself for the betterment of who you work for.
I don't know.

acr731

Reaction score
I totally agree with you on principal, but those NFL contracts are so sketchy for players...
Much less so for teams who manipulate those contracts left and right.
I dunno.
He's a guy that has lived up to his monetary value and he looks to continue doing so despite this dispute.
He's also a guy who, despite all his good work, can easily be discarded for zippo after this contract and he's trying to extend his income and career.

I can't fault a guy for looking after himself.

Maybe you can. Maybe you give of yourself for the betterment of who you work for.
I don't know.
But I work for an hourly wage, just like a majority of people in the working force. My son, however, is working on a contract that he agreed to that has 2 years left. The key part is that he agreed to it. He doesn't get to hold out and demand a raise. If he did I guarantee he would find himself tied up in a lawsuit. Would you fault my son for looking out for himself? I would tell him he was dumb for not honoring something that he not only agreed to do, but he signed his name to it.

Maybe NFL contracts are different, I don't know, but I really don't care either. My belief will always be that you honor the the contracts you signed.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
But I work for an hourly wage, just like a majority of people in the working force. My son, however, is working on a contract that he agreed to that has 2 years left. The key part is that he agreed to it. He doesn't get to hold out and demand a raise. If he did I guarantee he would find himself tied up in a lawsuit. Would you fault my son for looking out for himself? I would tell him he was dumb for not honoring something that he not only agreed to do, but he signed his name to it.

Maybe NFL contracts are different, I don't know, but I really don't care either. My belief will always be that you honor the the contracts you signed.
I understand your mentality.
Maybe you should consider the nuances of NFL contractual realities, but I'm not the guy to educate anybody on that front.