Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

LysleE

Reaction score
I agree with Jerry on this…Zack negotiated his salary and was paid as an elite OG back in 2018; clearly market economics change year-to-year, but he needs to honor his contract. I know it’s a business and he is looking to maximize his earnings over a limited period of time, but the Cowboys have other players they need to pay and cannot pay everybody top dollar.

shabazz

Reaction score
The pro-greedy Zack Martin crowd are losing this debate. Badly.
The sad part is that for those of us that know the value of keeping our word, as a man, know that this shouldn’t even be a debate

it goes much deeper than greed as well. Thre are 2 types of people in this country, the givers and the takers. Half of the country doesn’t pay federal taxes and is on the dole for every conceivable giveaway from section 8 housing, welfare, food stamps, free phones, etc, and those are the side that can’t conceive of there being any consequence to unlimited spending and most likely to have never been taught what it means to keep one’s word because of so many broken families without real fathers

the other half was raised to know that a man’s word is his bond. He pays his taxes, raises his children, gives to charities and pulls himself up by his bootstraps and doesn’t have someone else support him and his family

I like Martin but don’t respect his position on this

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Jerry is right 1000%. I don't agree with him very often, but here, he is right.
In March 2023 Zach chose to convert 11.8 million into a signing bonus, and now he wants a raise...lol
Stay steadfast Jerry, these are the contracts with greedy agents that destroy, will destroy your cap projections.
Not about the player so much, but the agents are ambulance chasers on meth.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
Martin is aging. I would trade h for a good value pick and draft his replacement

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I would have no problem restructuring his contract and extending him a year or so. Make his pay a signing bonus. Don’t play games with the best RG in the game. If he aint the best he is right there with them and will be for a while. And he has been a good leader. Don’t piss him off but I understand JJ taking a stance. But I would do it to his face and not in an interview. Keep this stuff behind closed doors.
Disagree with you. Jerry, IMO, is doing exactly what he should do. He is not caving to one of the best players that has ever played G in the history of the game. So hes sending the message to everyone.... we will not redo contracts. Jerry cant say anything to Zack's face, he isnt around. There is no doubt they have also already said those words to Zack, through his agent. Dont piss him off????? This is only about money. Players always say "Its about respect." lol.. the only way they think they are shown respect is through that paycheck.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
so he can't use the same bs that other players got from their fans whom I will not name

"get that money boy, don't worry about his money," I think I heard that before...." you go boy get that money"

Jarntt

Reaction score
I agree with Jerry on this…Zack negotiated his salary and was paid as an elite OG back in 2018; clearly market economics change year-to-year, but he needs to honor his contract. I know it’s a business and he is looking to maximize his earnings over a limited period of time, but the Cowboys have other players they need to pay and cannot pay everybody top dollar.
Honor his contract as signed? Are you aware that his deal hasn't been static and since the first year of his contract the team has gone to him every single year to restructure it and clear cap space for the team, including just a few months ago?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Jerry's history is that he will cave, eventually. Of course, that's not unique to Jerry. Scrramm/Landry at first said they wouldn't change Dorsett's contract, but eventually did. Jerry refused Emmitt until the Cowboys lost their first two games in 1993 and then caved.

Let Jerry's prize pupil Dak gets smashed a couple of times if Zack isn't on the field at the start of the season and he'll cave.

That's the facts, money is one thing, but losing games trumps that....
here:
There’s a common misconception, one that I’ve perpetuated a time or two, that the Cowboys are likely to cave in the Ezekiel Elliott holdout because they caved in the 1993 Emmitt Smith holdout. As PFT’s Charean Williams explained last week on PFT Live and mentioned in a Wednesday item on the Elliott holdout, the Cowboys didn’t cave on Emmitt.

It was Emmitt who abandoned his demand for quarterback money after two regular-season games in 1993, accepting an offer that made him the highest-paid running back in football.

The Cowboys played the first two games of the 1993 season without Emmitt Smith, going 0-2. But they never backed down. Instead, Smith agreed to the deal that made him the highest-paid running back in football at the time but didn’t pay him the quarterback money he wanted.

More:
The popularly-held version of the story is that Smith was holding out for a bigger paycheck from the Dallas front office, but Smith was quick to clarify what really happened.
“I didn’t hold out,” Smith corrected. “Holding out is when you have a contract, and you want more money. My contract was over. I had fulfilled my obligations.”

So no, this is not close to the same thing. Smith had no contract, Martin still has 2 years left on his deal. Very different, especially to an old school guy like Jerry that is a business man and Im sure a deal is a deal means something to him on a personal level.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Honor his contract as signed? Are you aware that his deal hasn't been static and since the first year of his contract the team has gone to him every single year to restructure it and clear cap space for the team, including just a few months ago?
restructure..... that doesnt mean Martin ever took a dime less on any of his deals....

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It seems a bit odd and out-of-character for JJ to suddenly start making comments about "not enough money to go around" and other players have to get paid.

Where was this JJ during the Zeke holdout or Dak's last contract?
you think Dak has a bad team deal???? Dak makes 40 million.... where does that put him?

CWR

Reaction score
LOL.... drugs are bad, man. Look what the contracts to Dak and Zeke did to the team. Now Zack is demanding a share because he knows, like the rest of the NFL knows, Jerry WILL cave.

Brilliant businessmen don't cave like Jerry does. If selling the brand is what you are considering 'brilliant', then I guess you might be onto something. Otherwise, he's done a schitty job as a GM for far too long. "Brilliant' isn't a word I would use to describe what Jerry has done to the franchise.

This is the part where he explains to you, the difference between business man and general manager.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
you think Dak has a bad team deal???? Dak makes 40 million.... where does that put him?
Overpaid. The end of his career will come and we will still be waiting for him to live up to the deal he was given.

Last edited: