Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

Gaede

Reaction score
His profits has nothing to do with this. It is all under the salary cap. He does not keep that money in his pocket.
His profits have everything to do with this. There are countless things Jerry could do to improve the team, but doesn't, because he has a business model that continues to make money despite middling results.

The point is, any owner of any franchise will invariably put himself and his profits before anything else. For some teams, like ours, profitability is not tied to winning.

So why should a player put himself second to the interest of the team, when the owner, the person most responsible for the team and its success, would never ever in a billion years do the same thing?

You guys are fixated on attacking players for wanting what they're worth based on the contributions they make toward the vast sums of money that NFL teams make, when the owners are literal billionaires taking in money hand over first at the expense of these players and you, the fans.

Last edited:

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
If he has 2 or more years left in the contract it is difficult to open negotiations, any team which does will shoot themselves in the foot. If it is one year only it makes sense for restructure, by the same token Jack knows this probably is last long term contract as he is getting up in the years and have some injuries slowing him down.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The new cba is making that scenario very unlikely. he gets charged 100k for every 2 days he misses of camp and teams no longer get to waive that fee after the player reports. Miss all of training camp and you’re talking almost 3M in money he has to pay. I HIGHLY doubt it
We'll see, I hope Martin does get to camp soon, a player like Zack, who's been in the league for more than a few years, gets in a "rut", in a good way, way too easy to get out of sync and get hurt, he's used to a certain schedule.

Doesn't do the player or the team much good....

Sydla

Reaction score
200.gif
err Zack...
Except it’s not. There is a way to make this work but Jerry is in stubborn mode again.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
OK, so you think Martin doesn’t care about team success and just wants a big pay day?
Can't speak to what exactly is on his mind. Don't know how much is his own doing or if his agent talked him into this. I really like Martin and he's a great player, but it's not like he's being paid peanuts, and as I understand it, he has what, a couple years left on his contract? And he willingly signed. He was not cheated or coerced. When a man signs a contract, he should abide by it.

If Jerry decided to cut Martin's pay with 2 years remaining on his contract despite Martin totally living up to his end of the contract, everyone would be TOTALLY up in arms because Jerry signed a contract and didn't live up to it!
So why shouldn't Martin or any other player be expected to live up to the contract he signed just like they expect Jerry to live up to the contract he signed?
That's what contracts are for, to GUARANTEE one's service for a guaranteed fee. When you sign it, you should live up to it.

Sydla

Reaction score
Look if you want to stand behind the belief that players should abide by their contracts and not hold out, great.

But if are going to come here and try to argue we shouldn’t extend him because Martin isn’t that good anymore, or is in decline, or whatever, know that you look kinda dumb.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Except it’s not. There is a way to make this work but Jerry is in stubborn mode again.
signed contracts will do that I guess. Jerry is rightfully being stubborn, at least here. Now if we didnt have to sign Steele, Micah later, I can see some wriggle room maybe. Best thing Jerry can do is be quiet and stop conducting these matters publicly with the media. That wont help matters. Zack has been classy and quiet. That said, Zack needs to just get in here and I feel Jerry might yield a little bit by next offseason and get an extension done. I am not worried.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Look if you want to stand behind the belief that players should abide by their contracts and not hold out, great.

But if are going to come here and try to argue we shouldn’t extend him because Martin isn’t that good anymore, or is in decline, or whatever, know that you look kinda dumb.
I dont think anyone is saying anything like that^. We just saying, honor the deal a while longer and Jerry will eventually extend him. But this is the wrong way to do it.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
It’s strange. I think this has to do with his agent. They know a bunch of money is coming to the cap. Players are wanting to get some.
But Martin pretty much named his deal from what JJ said. Martin threw out a number and JJ paid it. I get both sides and Martin will show up and play. I also don’t want him to pick up his toys and go home.
Exactly, and he totally expected Jerry to hold up his end of the contract. But now that the shoe is on the other foot, Martin shouldn't be expected to honor his contract the way he expected Jerry to honor his??
Like you glim, I don't want him to "pick up his toys and go home" either. He's a great player and I certainly don't want to lose him, but ultimately a contract is a contract. It's a guarantee, and your signature is your word. To me, that's the bottom line.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Well, you know what they say about hindsight. :muttley:
However, here's hoping our TE is not "broken down" and heals nicely.
Nobody is talking about the fact Zack is 33 and still signed the richest deal a guard has ever signed back in 2018. But all we hear is "PAY THE MAN." Someone missed the memo where HE WAS PAID. Btw, what message is sent if Jerry bends to every disgruntled butt hurt player in the future? ..ie Zack? A line will form me thinks. In business, the tail cannot wag the dog and remain viable very long. I applaud Jerry but disagree with him speaking in public about it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Exactly, and he totally expected Jerry to hold up his end of the contract. But now that the shoe is on the other foot, Martin shouldn't be expected to honor his contract the way he expected Jerry to honor his??
Like you glim, I don't want him to "pick up his toys and go home" either. He's a great player and I certainly don't want to lose him, but ultimately a contract is a contract. It's a guarantee, and your signature is your word. To me, that's the bottom line.
THIS 10000%

Buzzbait

Reaction score
great point. I think Jerry means what he says in the plainest of terms. Again, I agree with Jerry in this instance. Zack is a 33 year old RG with 2 years still left on his deal. I say promise to re-visit his deal next offseason via extension. But I wouldn't do it now. It just doesn't make good business sense for multiple reasons. I think hes getting bad advice. Zack is the Jason Witten of the Guard position. All time great, but he shouldn't come before the team needs. Jerry is saying that more or less. I feel it will all work out pretty soon.
I've wondered the same thing. I hate agents! Agents are really brave when it comes to placing a bet with someone else's money.

Jipper

Reaction score
I like Martin but he got payed and now he's being difficult...

Cowboys first

Beaker42

Reaction score
If he didn’t like the contract then he shouldn’t have signed it. Tired of these greedy guys not wanting to honor their signature. Martin can pound sand and I hope we trade him.

Buzzbait

Reaction score

I would certainly never argue that. I have the utmost respect for Martins ability with no reason to suspect him being in decline. I hope they resolve the mess soon and get him back to work. But I'll respect Martin a lot more if he holds up his end of the contract.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
Martin wants the Jerry golden parachute Cash Bag 1 last time before the clock strikes midnight. Hes 33 with a ton of road miles on his body.