Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

Sydla

Reaction score
signed contracts will do that I guess. Jerry is rightfully being stubborn, at least here. Now if we didnt have to sign Steele, Micah later, I can see some wriggle room maybe. Best thing Jerry can do is be quiet and stop conducting these matters publicly with the media. That wont help matters. Zack has been classy and quiet. That said, Zack needs to just get in here and I feel Jerry might yield a little bit by next offseason and get an extension done. I am not worried.
He can sign them all if he wants.

Martin carries a 23MM cap hit next year. You can extend him now and lower that cap hit.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Elliott was a TB in a league getting away from paying big bucks to TBs. Jerry stupidly buckled. Plus, recall Dallas’ stance on Murray saying TBs fall off quickly and don’t last the length of long contracts. Then they did a 180 on Elliott.

As for Paraons, again, Martin has a 23 million cap hit next year. Plus some dummy years. A new extension could actually help with Parsons.

And Martin being 33 is meaningless. He can probably play for another 3-4 years and was just an all pro last year. We aren’t talking about some guy that sucked last year and is hanging on by a thread.
Jerry said it perfectly. Martin has basically been paid at the very top for his position since day 1... so **** Martin nd get into camp.

Sydla

Reaction score
I dont think anyone is saying anything like that^. We just saying, honor the deal a while longer and Jerry will eventually extend him. But this is the wrong way to do it.
Uh yeah, we’ve had people say he’s in decline or degrading.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He can sign them all if he wants.

Martin carries a 23MM cap hit next year. You can extend him now and lower that cap hit.
which we will. Thats why he needs to be here. Holding out achieves zilch. Hes been paid. Thus 2 your point, a 23 mil payment is due in 2024. HARDLY CHUMP CHANGE. Honor the dang deal and Jerry will extend before 2024. But not like this..

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I believe Jerald has learned from the Zeke/Dak fiascos.
In the end he will restructure Martin's contract and Martin will play until he is 36.
Dak's huge contract continues to be our dark cloud.
Oh, I doubt Jerry has learned anything from the Dak contracts.
Both Martin and Dak have been used as cap piggy banks, pushing cap into the future for both.
Both get extended.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
True. The showman has to put on a show. Soon there will be plenty of money to throw around if it’s done correctly.
I meant to say martin is NOT one of them lol.
From what jerry said, I doubt martin gets any more $ till his contract is about up.

Martin would have to sit out or retire to get more $ now.
It could be the diggs deal or some other deal that made martin think he was underpaid. And maybe he is , I dont know much about his deal or what he makes ]per year etc.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Two questions-
  1. Serious question: How often has Jerry Jones played hardball in a contract dispute with a star player from beginning to end? Maybe there’s been a case but I can’t think of one. I could certainly be wrong.
  2. How often are we supposed to take what Jerry says as absolute? At best he rambles a lot without much conviction. At worst he changes positions like a weathervane.
Bottom Line: I put very little stock in what Jerry says most of the time. Stephen isn’t exactly 100% reliable but if SJ says it’s certainly more reliable than …..IMO.

Adreme

Reaction score
His play is not so much degrading as there are more great OGs in the league now. If our starting tackles hadnt already been entrenched, Zach may have played tackle, his college position. Zach is still a legit top 5 guard. Where he stands within that top 5 would have to be determined by coaches and scouts who study the tape all the time. As for All Pro, let’s not forget that the only people who vote on that are certain AP reporters. It’s definitely a sign that he’s one of the best, but not necessarily still one of the top 2. Who knows? You just cannot cave in to every veteran, not even a star, when you once made him the top paid guard just because some other guys have passed him now.

In my opinion, even the best player at his position cannot ask for more every time another guy gets more. Even the QBs don’t do that. We will likely make Parsons the highest paid pass rusher at some point. Are we going to redo HIS contract every year so he is always the top guy. If Dak won MVP one year and took us deep into the playoffs, I wouldn’t give him a raise either. He signed a big contract. Ask for your raise when it’s run it’s course.
Lets not mince words, he was legit top 1 last year. That is why he was 1st team all pro.

Second yes QBs do do that and so does every single position. The reason they do that is because as the cap goes up so does the amount players ask for. Your extreme example is nonsense though. If Parsons wants his contract reworked 5 years into it that is not the same as every year. It is not even a little the same. Meanwhile if Martin had underperformed the deal you really think he would still be getting that salary? Of course not. Until the NFL fully guarantees all contracts I will not take the side of the owners.

plasticman

Reaction score
The average career length of an offensive lineman drafted in the 1st round between 2000 and 2010 with 5 or more Pro Bowl selections is 12 years.

I chose this decade because it is the most recent with all players retired. I chose those with 5 or more Pro Bowls because this is also a good measure of durability and Zack Martin fits this profile.

There were several players in this category whose careers were from 13 to 15 seasons.

Since 1970, there has been 80 occasions in which a former 1st round pick offensive lineman was selected to the pro Bowl in their 10th season or beyond.

Zack will be entering his 10th season. It is not unusual at all for elite offensive linemen to enjoy lengthy careers with a high level of production.

A smart GM wouldn't have waited for Zack Martin to communicate his discontent. One of the issues that Jerry Jones has always struggled with is the notion that there is some kind of "victory" when elite players are not getting paid up to the level of their productivity compared to others. Seriously, what did Jerry expect?

If a player doesn't live up to his contrtact, fine, get rid of him. However, don't be a hypocrite and refuse to compensate those that earned it through their elite level of play.

Throughout Jerry's "career" as a GM, he has consistently overpaid the wrong players and kept them longer due to issues like sentimentality, poor evaluation or even the flawed perception that the more you pay them, the harder they will work.

There is a long list of players whose production dropped a split second after signing their contract. Zack Martin has never appeared to behave in that way.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The average career length of an offensive lineman drafted in the 1st round between 2000 and 2010 with 5 or more Pro Bowl selections is 12 years.

I chose this decade because it is the most recent with all players retired. I chose those with 5 or more Pro Bowls because this is also a good measure of durability and Zack Martin fits this profile.

There were several players in this category whose careers were from 13 to 15 seasons.

Since 1970, there has been 80 occasions in which a former 1st round pick offensive lineman was selected to the pro Bowl in their 10th season or beyond.

Zack will be entering his 10th season. It is not unusual at all for elite offensive linemen to enjoy lengthy careers with a high level of production.

A smart GM wouldn't have waited for Zack Martin to communicate his discontent. One of the issues that Jerry Jones has always struggled with is the notion that there is some kind of "victory" when elite players are not getting paid up to the level of their productivity compared to others. Seriously, what did Jerry expect?

If a player doesn't live up to his contrtact, fine, get rid of him. However, don't be a hypocrite and refuse to compensate those that earned it through their elite level of play.

Throughout Jerry's "career" as a GM, he has consistently overpaid the wrong players and kept them longer due to issues like sentimentality, poor evaluation or even the flawed perception that the more you pay them, the harder they will work.

There is a long list of players whose production dropped a split second after signing their contract. Zack Martin has never appeared to behave in that way.
It’s because Martin is a right guard. Of course guys like Zeke is going to tail off once he gets paid he’s a tail back.

I’m just not understanding the issue here. He was compensated for his play. He has every right to want more money but Jerry is smart not to cave in. He has leverage here.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Players like Martin must be charged with assuming more unselfish policies in their personal wants getting out of hand. There are many other young players who deserve the opportunities to be financially encouraged to progress in their careers. It's obvious that Jerry Jones is trying to assert such ideas to Martin and many of the other veterans who have allowed themselves to be unduly spoiled by this team's generosity. There's much to be said for the idea of tempering the players' hunger for financial riches among those who have already been afforded considerable prosperity.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
It’s because Martin is a right guard. Of course guys like Zeke is going to tail off once he gets paid he’s a tail back.

I’m just not understanding the issue here. He was compensated for his play. He has every right to want more money but Jerry is smart not to cave in. He has leverage here.
Jerry has zero leverage. Zack could retire today. He has had a good long career by NFL standards. Zack has made his money. He has probably done enough now to get in the Hall of Fame. If he is not first ballot he should get in at some point.

McCarthy has clearly stated an interest in increasing the running attack and that is where Zack leads the offensive line. When critical yardage is needed they typically go right behind him. Even assuming Tyron Smith can play an entire season, they are slightly above average without Zack Martin. With him, they have the opportunity to be elite assuming minimal injuries.

Jerry Jones wasn't interested in signing Emmitt Smith to the contract he wanted prior to the 1993 season. He even said that Emmitt was a luxury, not a necessity. Do the Cowboys have to go 0-2 for Jerry to be interested in making changes to Zack's contract?

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Funny to read those siding with Jerry about Martin wanting a new contract are the same ones that defended Dak in his bid for more money.

I hope Martin holds out or even retires as he IS the Dallas offensive line.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If he didn’t like the contract then he shouldn’t have signed it. Tired of these greedy guys not wanting to honor their signature. Martin can pound sand and I hope we trade him.
Did Jerry honor his signature on Zeke's, Dez's, Ware's, ect ect contract?

Or is that only apply to non billionaires?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Jerry has zero leverage. Zack could retire today. He has had a good long career by NFL standards. Zack has made his money. He has probably done enough now to get in the Hall of Fame. If he is not first ballot he should get in at some point.

McCarthy has clearly stated an interest in increasing the running attack and that is where Zack leads the offensive line. When critical yardage is needed they typically go right behind him. Even assuming Tyron Smith can play an entire season, they are slightly above average without Zack Martin. With him, they have the opportunity to be elite assuming minimal injuries.

Jerry Jones wasn't interested in signing Emmitt Smith to the contract he wanted prior to the 1993 season. He even said that Emmitt was a luxury, not a necessity. Do the Cowboys have to go 0-2 for Jerry to be interested in making changes to Zack's contract?
Zack is getting fined 50k per day and if I’m not mistaken it’s at 300k….he would’ve retired before it got to this point. Retirement isn’t leverage. And even if it was he’s a right guard. We’d take a hit for sure if he left this line but right guards are replaceable. Not as good as Zack but you can win in this league with a B or C list guard.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Did Jerry honor his signature on Zeke's, Dez's, Ware's, ect ect contract?

Or is that only apply to non billionaires?
I mean….you could argue they didn’t. If you paid Zeke like the best running back in the league and he gets out performed by his backup then yeah he didn’t really honor his contract. Has Jerry or any owner given up on a player that was playing at a high level?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Funny to read those siding with Jerry about Martin wanting a new contract are the same ones that defended Dak in his bid for more money.

I hope Martin holds out or even retires as he IS the Dallas offensive line.
Dak never got more money and never asked for more lol. Not even the same situation at all. But we know you have to find a way to fit Dak into this conversation somehow someway.