Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

Sydla

Reaction score
which we will. Thats why he needs to be here. Holding out achieves zilch. Hes been paid. Thus 2 your point, a 23 mil payment is due in 2024. HARDLY CHUMP CHANGE. Honor the dang deal and Jerry will extend before 2024. But not like this..
He’s not due 23 million in 2024.

Understand the difference between cap hit and cash owed.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I mean….you could argue they didn’t. If you paid Zeke like the best running back in the league and he gets out performed by his backup then yeah he didn’t really honor his contract. Has Jerry or any owner given up on a player that was playing at a high level?
If that's the case then Jerry should take the biggest pay cut in history for his performance as a GM in the last 38 years.

But the point is that Jerry does not honor his signature like some of these guys are accusing Martin of.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually Zeke held out after 3 years with 2 years left. And the reason they caved was they were concerned his absence would further expose Dak.

And this is probably why they’ll cave in again. They think they are on the cusp of contending along with exposure of Dak and MM and his new offense .

It doesn’t matter what we think. My thoughts revolve around what they think and the actions they take accordingly.
If I am certain of one thing, it is that Jerry has never expressed doubt about Dak's ability with or without Zeke. So, caving had nothing to do with their lack of confidence in Dak. That is not how they think. They caved b/c they thought the team was good enough with him to make a super bowl run. As usual, they were wrong.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If that's the case then Jerry should take the biggest pay cut in history for his performance as a GM in the last 38 years.

But the point is that Jerry does not honor his signature like some of these guys are accusing Martin of.
Well do we even pay Jerry lol? I assumed he does the GM stuff for free lol.

Jerry honors his contract but at the end of the day the players have themselves to blame for their contracts.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Actually Zeke held out after 3 years with 2 years left. And the reason they caved was they were concerned his absence would further expose Dak.

And this is probably why they’ll cave in again. They think they are on the cusp of contending along with exposure of Dak and MM and his new offense .

It doesn’t matter what we think. My thoughts revolve around what they think and the actions they take accordingly.
They caved into Zeke because it was a make or break year and they knew their best chance to win was with Zeke then without. Same goes for D Law.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand but does our coaching staff , front office and leadership believe this team is on the cusp of contending for a SB?

If they do then Martin is a critical piece for this offense and ultimately teams success.

I certainly don’t think the Cowboys believe they are in rebuilding mode. This is a critical season for MM.
I am 99% certain Zach will be in camp soon with or without a deal. Most likely, they will throw him some more money this year and next without committing to a new long term deal. Zach has nothing to gain by sitting out any games.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If I am certain of one thing, it is that Jerry has never expressed doubt about Dak's ability with or without Zeke. So, caving had nothing to do with their lack of confidence in Dak. That is not how they think. They caved b/c they thought the team was good enough with him to make a super bowl run. As usual, they were wrong.
I don’t think they were wrong in personnel wise but thinking Garrett was the coach…silliness.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well do we even pay Jerry lol? I assumed he does the GM stuff for free lol.

Jerry honors his contract but at the end of the day the players have themselves to blame for their contracts.
If he releases them before their contract runs out, that is not honoring their contract.

You can try to spin it every which way but loose ...... But it's a fact.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If he releases them before their contract runs out, that is not honoring their contract.

You can try to spin it every which way but loose ...... But it's a fact.
So you think when someone signs a contract they just sign it for appearance fees not for actually playing at a high level?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry has zero leverage. Zack could retire today. He has had a good long career by NFL standards. Zack has made his money. He has probably done enough now to get in the Hall of Fame. If he is not first ballot he should get in at some point.

McCarthy has clearly stated an interest in increasing the running attack and that is where Zack leads the offensive line. When critical yardage is needed they typically go right behind him. Even assuming Tyron Smith can play an entire season, they are slightly above average without Zack Martin. With him, they have the opportunity to be elite assuming minimal injuries.

Jerry Jones wasn't interested in signing Emmitt Smith to the contract he wanted prior to the 1993 season. He even said that Emmitt was a luxury, not a necessity. Do the Cowboys have to go 0-2 for Jerry to be interested in making changes to Zack's contract?
Very true. And in reality, Jerry’s comments this past weekend were intended for an audience of two- Zack Martin and his agent. It’s pure posturing. Part of the “negotiation process”.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So you think when someone signs a contract they just sign it for appearance fees not for actually playing at a high level?
Zeke had 12 td last season
Ware was still better than most.

And Martin is the best RG in the game.

Jerry is worse at his job than any of the guys he released and not even in the same plane of existence as Martin.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Very true. And in reality, Jerry’s comments this past weekend were intended for an audience of two- Zack Martin and his agent. It’s pure posturing. Part of the “negotiation process”.
I believe Martin will be in camp this week.

This whole thing is getting overblown ..... It's just modern NFL business

And funnily enough ..... It's will probably end up helping the Cowboys cap wise.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Nothing really, other than he’s an aging Guard. He’s tradable even at his age because he’s a special player. His position just doesn’t get the trade value other positions get. His value to the Cowboys as a leader of the line is way higher than what they’d get in return

I could easily argue the opposite for a player like Parsons. He would return so much in draft/player capital where it could be argued that trading him could ultimately make the team better. There are many people here who will think that is blasphemous, but they forget their team’s success in the 90s was the result of just such a trade.

Zack is getting fined 50k per day and if I’m not mistaken it’s at 300k….he would’ve retired before it got to this point. Retirement isn’t leverage. And even if it was he’s a right guard. We’d take a hit for sure if he left this line but right guards are replaceable. Not as good as Zack but you can win in this league with a B or C list guard.
The problem is I don't know if they have another B or C guard. I don't care what anybody says, the offensive line should have been addressed instead of an injured tight end who may not even contribute.This could become a real problem. They are setting themselves up for failure.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Zeke had 12 td last season
Ware was still better than most.

And Martin is the best RG in the game.

Jerry is worse at his job than any of the guys he released and not even in the same plane of existence as Martin.
He averaged 3.8 yards a carry. Ware was past his prime.

Martin is still playing at a high level therefore he won’t be cut

Not sure what your point about Jerry is. We all know he’s the owner and won’t fire himself,

blueblood70

Reaction score

are people living like in a alternate dimension where they don't realize that they already restructured his contract and gave 16 million of his $18 million all up front prepaid and bonuses?????

you can't restructure a contract that only has $2 million left in salary and yet he still counts $18 million under the cap...​
what needs to happen is a new contract has to be negotiated and Jerry's not interested in doing that right now nor should he be Zach Martin is the 9th highest paid guard center out of 178 in the league,​
I'm pretty sure that's pretty damn good given he's 4-5f years into a contract any still top ten in pay and now it turned into guaranteed means it was pretty much 100% guaranteed whether he what was out for an entire year or he ended up having to retire because of a major injury or something like what happened to Travis Frederick. That sounds like a fair contract to me and people are are taking sides on this but really there's a contract he's under contract he has two more years on his contract, and I hope they get something done with him when they feel they can work it out.​

And by the way also understanding how this contract works he is under contract therefore every practice he misses cost $90,000 and maybe I could be wrong but I believe what that means is where they $2 million base salary because everything else has already been paid up front he's gonna eat up his $2 million really fast,

so , if he truly holds out all of training camp and into the preseason and guess what he's gonna have to pay back money, he will literally get so many fines that he will end up having to go to his bank account and write Jerry some checks.. You do realize that I guarantee he is not prepared to do that and he'll probably be back on the field in some capacity to stop these fines very soon.​
If not then I'm gonna have to say the man's been very well paid if he's willing to do that then he doesn't need a new contract you can't come back with your handout every time you get a little further down the list and your pay scale that's why you have a contract and I agree Zach Martin probably deserves to have another contract soon but it doesn't mean he needs to hold out and do all this to get it he just needs to wait his turn.​

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The problem is I don't know if they have another B or C guard. I don't care what anybody says, the offensive line should have been addressed instead of an injured tight end who may not even contribute.This could become a real problem. They are setting themselves up for failure.
Worst case you go with Chuma and Tyler Smith as your guards.

In regards to drafting a guard….the issues would’ve been the same. There were no Zack Martin’s in this draft.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His profits have everything to do with this. There are countless things Jerry could do to improve the team, but doesn't, because he has a business model that continues to make money despite middling results.

The point is, any owner of any franchise will invariably put himself and his profits before anything else. For some teams, like ours, profitability is not tied to winning.

So why should a player put himself second to the interest of the team, when the owner, the person most responsible for the team and its success, would never ever in a billion years do the same thing?

You guys are fixated on attacking players for wanting what they're worth based on the contributions they make toward the vast sums of money that NFL teams make, when the owners are literal billionaires taking in money hand over first at the expense of these players and you, the fans.
You are so far off based with me on this.
What part of salary cap does not affect his overall profits do you not understand?

Also, I was not attacking players so DO NOT include me in that part of your little tirade.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And I really don't care what some fan on a Dallas cowboy forum says I would rather trust that the Cowboys and their giant scouting staff and all the layers of management and professional coaches have a better idea how to build a team than you and I don't know what you mean addressed that they picked up Tyler Smith last year they found a gym in Terrence Steele they're developing tyler be oddish i mean you act like ....roster with just some average players.

LT-77 future HOFer
LG- Tyler smith-young 1st round beast will be the LT of the future once 77 retires.
C-TB very solid payer getting better.
RG-well supposed to be Martin and believe it will, future HOFer??
Terence Steele-UDFA surprise and is very good..

they also have Waletzko with potential for swing tackle.
drafted a kid that Tyler smiths size who knows?
brought in Edoga and others as FAs..

so that not addressing the line to your satisfaction? they only have so many Resouces and we still wont know if schooners will be good or not..its not a waste until it is..culd be the next Witten and we wont know it until 2-3 years from now.

so take that as ill trust the coaches, scouts, gms ec until we know it was mistake.. until then get over it