Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

glimmerman

Reaction score
They just restructured his contract during FA. Converted most of his 12m base this season to bonus. He’s trying to double dip… simple as that!
Yep. I wonder if it’s his agent in his ear.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
If I am reading Spotrac correctly, Martin has no guarantees left on his deal after this season. So in the high-injury, funny money NFL, his current contract basically expires in January. He has an optional base salary of $13M for next year, which is low at this point.

He's a vet who is still in his prime, so I think he is legitimately ready for a refresh. I'd throw him a 2 year extension on his current deal. ~$20M a year, largely guaranteed.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
Jethro publicly is using Parsons our current most popular player as leverage. Snake oil salesman at work.
I was just thinking the same thing. It’s bizarre, as he’s basically pitting his best player on defense with the best player on offense, as well as giving leverage to Micah. Also, Micah at this rate, rushing full time, battling DLs may not even last that long without a significant drop off.

khiladi

Reaction score
If I am reading Spotrac correctly, Martin has no guarantees left on his deal after this season. So in the high-injury, funny money NFL, his current contract basically expires in January. He has an optional base salary of $13M for next year, which is low at this point.

He's a vet who is still in his prime, so I think he is legitimately ready for a refresh. I'd throw him a 2 year extension on his current deal. ~$20M a year, largely guaranteed.
This was a June article, so you are correct.

Martin signed a six-year extension in August of 2018 for $84 million that has him under contract through the 2024 season, an average of $14 million per season. The guaranteed portion of that deal is long gone, and the club has continuously deferred cap hits by triggering clauses in his deal that move base salary into bonus money that can be spread across future year’s of the club’s salary cap.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-zack-martin-contract-holding-potential/

The article says it’s probably more to do with the additional security guaranteed salary provides.

blueblood70

Reaction score

First of all I wouldn't say the guys in his prime when he's about to be 33 years old he still has two full years left on his contract which I believe 16 million was given to him up front so it reduced his rate this year and he gets 13 million next year however much is guaranteed I don't think it's going to matter at this point.

He will get a new deal at some point but what do you need to do now is report and go play and eventually something will get worked out but it doesn't need to be done now but thank you Internet GM expert professional player of personnel of social media. I believe you need to let the experts the people that know the cap the salary cap not one that says if I understand sport track correctly no they have a full staff of people that do this for a living and right now Jerry's not in a position to want to give Martin an extension right now.

So get your hands out of Jerry's pockets I believe they have this handled and whatever is going to happen is going to happen behind closed doors everything else right now was made public by Martin and then responded to publicly by Jerry but eventually it'll get handled through official behind the scenes resources.

I believe there is no way that Martin is ready to hold out for very long costing him $50,000 of practice and if he does it during the season it's 90,000 I mean if he wants to do that this could cost him millions waiting on a new deal I say if he's got millions to blow then he's been overpaid for years lol. It'll get worked out is what I'm saying so let's leave it alone fans think they know everything and I believe there are some professionals up at the ranch that know better.

plasticman

Reaction score
Zack is getting fined 50k per day and if I’m not mistaken it’s at 300k….he would’ve retired before it got to this point. Retirement isn’t leverage. And even if it was he’s a right guard. We’d take a hit for sure if he left this line but right guards are replaceable. Not as good as Zack but you can win in this league with a B or C list guard.
As a Cowboys fan, I wouldn't know that.

When the RG for the Cowboys have been guys like Blaine Nye, Kevin Gogan, Larry Allen, Leonard Davis and Zack Martin (All perennial Pro Bowlers), it's difficult to imagine success without one of the best RG's in the league.

Of course, there have been seasons where the RG has not been considered elite. Then again, in those cases, the guy standing to their right, was a Hall of Famer or perennial 1st team All Pro like Rayfield Wright or Erik Williams.

Yep, looking at it again, every Cowboys SB team had a RG or RT or both that were multiple Pro Bowlers.

You can win in this league with a B or C list guard. However, you can't win it all and I believe that is the goal.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It's time for our less than mediocre, over hyped and overpaid QB to take a huge pay cut like Rogers took with the JETS ($35 MILLION) so that it will free up some money to get Martin in camp.
And I'd say that it's time for fans to stop saying nonsensical things since The Jets had to trade draft picks to get the guy and then restructure his contract.. So let's get your hands out of Prescott's pockets and stop telling him what he should do why don't you also list the other eight quarterbacks that make more money than him right now and some that are due for more should they take less the answer is no because that's not how this works and given the fact that Rogers has made a lot more money over time then Prescott has I'd say that you're barking up the wrong tree

I think it's ironic that Russell Wilson not only forced a trade was given a Cortana draft resources for the guy and then they turn around and give them an extension to a huge deal why are you not in his pockets.. I mean deshaun Watson hasn't done a thing in the NFL I mean he's done less than Prescott and he makes more money it's all guaranteed why don't you get in his pockets I mean there are at least eight quarterbacks right now that make more money than Prescott and you want him to take a pay cut??.

I think fans need to stay out of this contract business and the salary cap and who should make more and who should make less I mean there's professionals handling all this you being in the business of players and their money is ridiculous because you're not walking in and taking less from your boss or taking a pay cut. Because that's not what normal people do they all have a right to maximize their value and right now Prescott's contract is like 8th on the money list for quarterbacks but all of a sudden he's the problem no they owed him this money because he took a lot less the first three years on the contract and now his money came due now somehow fans want him to take less.. Again as a fan we're here to watch games debate games talk about players but I'm really sick and tired of all the money talk it is none of anyone's business.

Sydla

Reaction score
Teams have a minimum they must spend, as well as we know the cap is the most.

So a team has $30 million in cap space. So they make a little bit of money on interest or whatever. That is minuscule for profits.

Fans refuse to understand this, so they can just bash Jerry. I just find it funny how this is not understood.
And for the last three years, the Cowboys have barely cleared the cash spent requirement. It's more than just a few million he's saving. He's put a lot of cash into his coffers over the last three years.

Jerry deserves the criticism he gets. He and his son have led the Cowboys on a historic run of futility in terms of postseason success. He has no real plan. He just likes to collect players with no real strategy as to what to do. He overpaid a TB when the evidence screamed don't do it. But he ignored it, got little in return, and a few years later had to bite the bullet and take the dead money hit. But now he's going to hold firm on arguably his best and most consistent offensive player? Over what? Maybe tacking on a couple more years and guaranteeing some more money? That BS about having to pay others is just BS and nothing but PR for people like yourself. "Oh no guys!!! If we sign Martin to an extension, we can't afford Parsons or Lamb!!!! Yeah, Jerry, we hear you!!!!"

Sydla

Reaction score

He carries a $23 million cap hit next year. They can't carry him at that cap number most likely. So they either have to:

• Cut him. It saves $4MM as a pre-June 1 cut or they could save $14MM if he's a June 1 cut. But it begs the question - if he goes out this year and plays at a high level again are you really going to cut him and create a massive hole along your OL? I guess if Farniok or someone else makes a major step up it could mitigate some risk but again, that seems quite unlikely.
  • Restructure him. Convert more of his base to bonus and then throw more money into the dummy years but that seems stupid because you'd be taking cap hits for him in years he wouldn't even be under contract
  • Extend him. That could mean guaranteeing his 2024 base salary, a signing bonus and maybe tacking on a couple of years beyond 2024.
Unless Jerry is planning on carrying him with a $23 milion cap hit for 2024, Jerry's hand is going to be forced this offseason. So potentially why piss off one of your best players and a fan favorite and do so publicly? Just Jerry being Jerry.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And for the last three years, the Cowboys have barely cleared the cash spent requirement. It's more than just a few million he's saving. He's put a lot of cash into his coffers over the last three years.

Jerry deserves the criticism he gets. He and his son have led the Cowboys on a historic run of futility in terms of postseason success. He has no real plan. He just likes to collect players with no real strategy as to what to do. He overpaid a TB when the evidence screamed don't do it. But he ignored it, got little in return, and a few years later had to bite the bullet and take the dead money hit. But now he's going to hold firm on arguably his best and most consistent offensive player? Over what? Maybe tacking on a couple more years and guaranteeing some more money? That BS about having to pay others is just BS and nothing but PR for people like yourself. "Oh no guys!!! If we sign Martin to an extension, we can't afford Parsons or Lamb!!!! Yeah, Jerry, we hear you!!!!"
PR for people like myself? Oh please, that is insane.
More like people like yourself, that do not want to understand the cap, and just want to complain about everything.

Yes Jerry made some big mistakes, but he is not concerned over what is saved from the cap. He is concerned how it affects the future of paying player going forward. He learned that more so from the bad Zeke contract. And now from the Dak contract and how all of that was handled from back to franchise tagging him.

I am sure he will screw up again.

Sydla

Reaction score
PR for people like myself? Oh please, that is insane.
More like people like yourself, that do not want to understand the cap, and just want to complain about everything.

Yes Jerry made some big mistakes, but he is not concerned over what is saved from the cap. He is concerned how it affects the future of paying player going forward. He learned that more so from the bad Zeke contract. And now from the Dak contract and how all of that was handled from back to franchise tagging him.

I am sure he will screw up again.
Don't understand the cap? LOL.

You are the one parroting Jerry's talking points here. For example, extending Martin should not prevent them in anyway from being able to extend Parsons and Lamb under their caps going forward. It's a BS talking point.

Jerry is painting himself into a corner on this given the $23 million cap hit next year for Martin. He's either going to have to cut Martin this offseason or do what he claims he won't do now - extend Martin. Unless of course Jerry decides letting Martin play out his contract and the team take on a $23 million cap hit next year for Martin is smart cap management. LOL.

Motorola

Reaction score
Fair enough

I just hate how he picks and chooses when to be a good GM and when to be a fanboy playing fantasy football.
And my biggest gripe with Jerry is him talking to the media about it. He always likes to try to sway public opinion. Not good when you're talking about one of the best on the team.
What compounds this - and previous dilemmas and disputes involving Cowboys players - is that the owner and general manager are the same person - thus an objective assessment and subsequently decisions that should just involve the GM are compromised.

A) Player /coach / FO personnel / supporting staff immersed in major violations of team policies, or acts within or outside of the franchise deemed egregious or criminal behavior ----Team Owner steps forward to acknowledge the act(s) and decides the course of action.
B) Football matters - trades, contracts, etc. -- that GMs SHOULD handle behind the scenes until a resolution is settled on -- THEN made public.
Jerry Jones handling both roles - and often the way he goes about it - at best muddles franchise business -- and at worse mucks it up.
JMO - CZers offer yours.

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Pay the man Jerry, and let him go out a Cowboy. No significant injuries. A position that can still excel in player’s mid-30’s. Has become the leader of that offensive line. Like having a backup coach. Which we need based on what I’ve seen lately from the offensive coaches at that position.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I completely agree with Jerry! Glad to see his stance on the situation and his take on the future players.

starfan1

Reaction score
Zack may be my 3rd favorite player behind CeeDee and Parsons but hes wrong here and skelator is right. Get to camp Zack

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Was there ever a day when players took less to leave money to pay others. Everybody wants to get paid. We see brady take less but it didn’t spread through the NFL.
Brady did it his whole career.

This is where Dak irritates me. He probably makes more in endorsements and won't take less to win a superbowl. But he gets those endorsements for only 1 reason, he's the qb of the Dallas Cowboys. And that's the only reason. Once he's gone those endorsements are too once the contracts run out.