Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Sturm gets it.

Martin is a rare case. It’s not like he’s Michael Gallup here demanding a new deal. He’s one of the best OL in the league, arguably your best and most consistent offensive player, and a team leader.

Plus, with a 23 million cap hit next year, there are some potential benefits to the Cowboys to redo his deal.
no he doesn't get it. Never do business with your heart. Next offseason? YES..I am fine with waiting til then to revisit this idea.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Sturm gets it.

Martin is a rare case. It’s not like he’s Michael Gallup here demanding a new deal. He’s one of the best OL in the league, arguably your best and most consistent offensive player, and a team leader.

Plus, with a 23 million cap hit next year, there are some potential benefits to the Cowboys to redo his deal.
Rare case or not he is 33 and has 2 years left. We can avoid the huge cap hit next year by getting something done either during the year or next offseason.

Sydla

Reaction score
its a biased take. Yes he's been a stud. BUT he has a deal, HE WAS PAID, he IS being paid, and he IS 33. I think next offseason is better timing to extend his deal.
Why?

You can use this year to help bury some of the future cap hits. If you wait until next offseason, you are likely going to have to add a year to the deal to make it make sense.

Rayman70

Reaction score
btw, why does Zack have a huge cap hit ie pay day in 2024? Because HE WAS PAID and paid well at the time. We can't move that 2024 money to 2023. It will hinder us. Even half of that $ would hurt us. Jerry is right guys, like it or not. If I had my druthers, I wish Jerry wouldn't even talk about this in public. It helps nothing. Creates bad will.

Sydla

Reaction score
Rare case or not he is 33 and has 2 years left. We can avoid the huge cap hit next year by getting something done either during the year or next offseason.
LOL so you won't consider something now but would during the year?

Seems to me you think there is a good chance he's going to fall off a cliff this year and you won't the season to know if you should pay him?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Why?

You can use this year to help bury some of the future cap hits. If you wait until next offseason, you are likely going to have to add a year to the deal to make it make sense.
because we have others 2 get extended and signed.

Sydla

Reaction score
btw, why does Zack have a huge cap hit ie pay day in 2024? Because HE WAS PAID and paid well at the time. We can't move that 2024 money to 2023. It will hinder us. Even half of that $ would hurt us. Jerry is right guys, like it or not. If I had my druthers, I wish Jerry wouldn't even talk about this in public. It helps nothing. Creates bad will.
Nope.

He has a $23 million cap hit next year. With a base salary of $13 million. The extra cap hit is the prorated bonuses/restructures that the Cowboys have to account for. And the Cowboys restructured his 2023 salary in order to move the cap hit to 2024 so why in the world would they then "move 2024 money to 2023" even if that was feasible. They wouldn't.

This isn't that hard. Guarantee his 2024 base. Throw him a small signing bonus now. Extend the deal to 2026 to help spread the signing bonus cap hit. Done. Easy. Jerry's being stubborn.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
3 years with the Bucs: $97.8 Million big ones
20 years with Pats: $235 Million big ones

AR: $305 Million big ones thus far in his career, and close to $60 big ones next year. He has played 6 years less than TB 12

You decide if he has sacrificed money in the NFL or not
You don't read very well.

Rayman70

Reaction score
LOL so you won't consider something now but would during the year?

Seems to me you think there is a good chance he's going to fall off a cliff this year and you won't the season to know if you should pay him?
Thats true. Even the great Zack Martin isn't immune to father time. Have we nt learned anything after we did the Zeke deal and Tyron? What about La el Collins? We redid his deal and extended him then he exactly fell ff a cliff. Not saying Zack will hit a cliff, but can't rule it out. Its a risky business prop.

Sydla

Reaction score
So you are buying the BS Jerry is selling.

They can sign Lamb and Parsons and still extend Martin. It's not really all that hard. Jerry is digging in because Jerry likes to think he's the smartest dude int the room and some grade A negotiator. He's not.

Jarntt

Reaction score
But they have contracts too and after executing the 5th year options CeeDee has two more years under contract and Micah's contract isn't up until after 2025 (3 more years) which is a year after Zack's. So they should abide by their contracts also, right?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Nope.

He has a $23 million cap hit next year. With a base salary of $13 million. The extra cap hit is the prorated bonuses/restructures that the Cowboys have to account for. And the Cowboys restructured his 2023 salary in order to move the cap hit to 2024 so why in the world would they then "move 2024 money to 2023" even if that was feasible. They wouldn't.

This isn't that hard. Guarantee his 2024 base. Throw him a small signing bonus now. Extend the deal to 2026 to help spread the signing bonus cap hit. Done. Easy. Jerry's being stubborn.
Jerry is a stubborn mule on many things he shouldn't be, like Jimmy being in the ring, but this isnt one of those times where I blame him. If he does this then everybody will start lining up to get their deals redone. I promise u. For that reason I wouldn't do it.

Sydla

Reaction score
Thats true. Even the great Zack Martin isn't immune to father time. Have we nt learned anything after we did the Zeke deal and Tyron? What about La el Collins? We redid his deal and extended him then he exactly fell ff a cliff. Not saying Zack will hit a cliff, but can't rule it out. Its a risky business prop.
Tyron has a history of injuries, Martin does not. OL last way longer in the NFL than TBs. Lane Johnson is 33 and still arguably the best OT in football.

Rayman70

Reaction score
So you are buying the BS Jerry is selling.

They can sign Lamb and Parsons and still extend Martin. It's not really all that hard. Jerry is digging in because Jerry likes to think he's the smartest dude int the room and some grade A negotiator. He's not.
yes I am because its a fact.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Tyron has a history of injuries, Martin does not. OL last way longer in the NFL than TBs. Lane Johnson is 33 and still arguably the best OT in football.
great, Let philly toss around their $. We don't need to. He is signed.

Sydla

Reaction score
Jerry is a stubborn mule on many things he shouldn't be, like Jimmy being in the ring, but this isnt one of those times where I blame him. If he does this then everybody will start lining up to get their deals redone. I promise u. For that reason I wouldn't do it.
No he deserves blame here. He's lying to the fans about needing the money for Parsons and Lamb. He can still sign those two and extend Martin.

He's now pissing off one of the most important pieces of the team he thinks can win a SB. For what? A little extra security that won't crush our cap? Jerry finds new and amazing way to try to muck up this team.

Rayman70

Reaction score
But they have contracts too and after executing the 5th year options CeeDee has two more years under contract and Micah's contract isn't up until after 2025 (3 more years) which is a year after Zack's. So they should abide by their contracts also, right?
as soon as we cave, Ceedee will be banging on Jerrys door wanting his bag sooner rather than later.

Sydla

Reaction score
yes I am because its a fact.
It's not a fact.

Better yet, explain to us why it's a total fact that we can't extend Martin because we won't have the resources for Lamb and Parsons.

And note, just above you admitted you'd consider extending Martin after this year, so you kind of shot your theory in the foot already because extending Martin now or then doesn't change what happens to Parsons or Lamb.