Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

Rayman70

Reaction score
No he deserves blame here. He's lying to the fans about needing the money for Parsons and Lamb. He can still sign those two and extend Martin.

He's now pissing off one of the most important pieces of the team he thinks can win a SB. For what? A little extra security that won't crush our cap? Jerry finds new and amazing way to try to muck up this team.
but he is signed.

Sydla

Reaction score
as soon as we cave, Ceedee will be banging on Jerrys door wanting his bag sooner rather than later.
People said this after Elliott.

How many holdouts did we have post Elliott? Not many, if any. So no, Jerry doing the wise thing here and getting Martin into camp isn't going to suddenly lead to a rash of hold outs.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It's not a fact.

Better yet, explain to us why it's a total fact that we can't extend Martin because we won't have the resources for Lamb and Parsons.

And note, just above you admitted you'd consider extending Martin after this year, so you kind of shot your theory in the foot already because extending Martin now or then doesn't change what happens to Parsons or Lamb.
because he signed a deal which has 2 years left. Just because we CAN extend him and push money around doesn't mean we should.

Sydla

Reaction score
but he is signed.
So what?

Guys get extended all the time with years still left on their contracts. We just extended Diggs and he was technically still signed. We will sign Lamb and Parsons while they still have years left on their original deals.

You need a better excuse than this.

Rayman70

Reaction score
People said this after Elliott.

How many holdouts did we have post Elliott? Not many, if any. So no, Jerry doing the wise thing here and getting Martin into camp isn't going to suddenly lead to a rash of hold outs.
this is different. We have multiple guys coming up. Zack signed a deal, he has a nice payday coming next year if all things stand pat. Not sure why Zack is in this great rush to get a bag right now. Its weird. Might it be because hes 33?

Sydla

Reaction score
because he signed a deal which has 2 years left. Just because we CAN extend him and push money around doesn't mean we should.
You are just rambling now. You stated it was a "fact" in response to my post about Jerry saying he can't extend Martin because he needs to pay Parsons and Lamb.

Well then explain to us how it's a "fact" we can't extend Martin.

Sydla

Reaction score
this is different. We have multiple guys coming up. Zack signed a deal, he has a nice payday coming next year if all things stand pat. Not sure why Zack is in this great rush to get a bag right now. Its weird. Might it be because hes 33?
It's pretty clear why he wants an extension. He has no guaranteed money left. It's not exactly an unusual position that you see players take over and over and over. The fact you think this is somehow unique is kind of funny. It happens all over the league. Typically, the well run teams get things done behind the scenes before it spills over publicly.

Jarntt

Reaction score
as soon as we cave, Ceedee will be banging on Jerrys door wanting his bag sooner rather than later.
I'm confused. With your other post you seemed to allude to us needing to sign and extend CeeDee and Micah now. Are you not saying that?

Rayman70

Reaction score
So what?

Guys get extended all the time with years still left on their contracts. We just extended Diggs and he was technically still signed. We will sign Lamb and Parsons while they still have years left on their original deals.

Diggs is a very young and ascending player. Zack is a guard. Great cb's don't grow on tree's. Not trying to be unfair to Zack, I luv the dudes tenacity, but truthfully, we can muddle thru if need be with a guy at RG. Nobody is Zack but I bet a guy like Farniok can do ok for a while...at least til Zack comes to his senses.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It's pretty clear why he wants an extension. He has no guaranteed money left. It's not exactly an unusual position that you see players take over and over and over. The fact you think this is somehow unique is kind of funny. It happens all over the league. Typically, the well run teams get things done behind the scenes before it spills over publicly.
but he took the money. Why is that Jerrys fault?

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'm confused. With your other post you seemed to allude to us needing to sign and extend CeeDee and Micah now. Are you not saying that?
Im saying all things in due time. Not a minute before. There is 0 rush.

Rayman70

Reaction score
My hope is Zack comes to his senses and gets in Camp. Jerry has shown hes willing to pay guys, but not til he feels its time. I must ask, does Zack still luv the game or what the game does for him?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Zack is getting fined 50k per day and if I’m not mistaken it’s at 300k….he would’ve retired before it got to this point. Retirement isn’t leverage. And even if it was he’s a right guard. We’d take a hit for sure if he left this line but right guards are replaceable. Not as good as Zack but you can win in this league with a B or C list guard.
Good point. Martin is much better than than any of KC’s or Philly’s interior O-linemen last season and this season. They’re both, nonetheless, still considered contenders.

Flamma

Reaction score
btw, why does Zack have a huge cap hit ie pay day in 2024? Because HE WAS PAID and paid well at the time. We can't move that 2024 money to 2023. It will hinder us. Even half of that $ would hurt us. Jerry is right guys, like it or not. If I had my druthers, I wish Jerry wouldn't even talk about this in public. It helps nothing. Creates bad will.
At this point in his career it has to be about pride. No way this guy is strapped for cash. They can't be paying players on what they've done in the past.

Sydla

Reaction score
Good point. Martin is much better than than any of KC’s or Philly’s interior O-linemen last season and this season. They’re both, nonetheless, still considered contenders.
Philly has very good interior OL. Kelce is arguably the best OC in football. Dickerson was one of the best 10-15 OGs in football.

It's hilarious watching people try to convince themselves we are just fine without Martin.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Exactly. This is the part people don't get. People claim he's our "best player" and all this stuff. WE can win without him. I don't want to have to do that but that's the issue the Cowboys find themselves in. They have a great player at right guard who's 33 and wants to be paid as one of the best at his position. The situation sucks for those all involved.

Flamma

Reaction score
So what?

Typically, you extend players with 1 year left on their contract. Some rookies will have 2 years left, but only because of the 5th year option. Martin asking for more right now is not the norm.

Sydla

Reaction score
but he took the money. Why is that Jerrys fault?
It's Jerry's fault that he let it get to this point. He's the GM. It's his job to make sure he builds the best roster possible. They restructured Martin earlier this year which would seem to indicate they clearly want him beyond just this year. So why not throw Martin, your best OL and possibly best offensive player, a bone here?

Because Jerry does what Jerry does, rarely has a rhyme or reason to his logic but thinks he's the smartest guy around. He's playing with fire here in the sense that if Martin just doesn't come back and pays the fines, Jerry has a massive OL problem on a team he claims can win the SB. You take Martin out of the lineup, suddenly Biadasz and Steele arent' as competent as you think.