Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

Sydla

Reaction score
that's actually not the whole story from what i read, he got most of this year all in bonus.... this year is almost fully guaranteed so he should end holdout come in and play, then they can talk about it next offseason, maybe do the same thing convert next year to fully guaranteed. Issue resolved!
You really can’t convert next years base salary to a bonus. It’s the last year of his contract and would only have dummy years left to spread the pro rated cap hits out.

He either plays next year at a 23 million cap hit, signs an extension or they cut him.

tromofan

Reaction score
Normally I would agree with JJs reasoning here, but don't risk a holdout with Zack. Micah might be your most valuable player on defense, but Zack is the important player on the other side of the ball and arguably the most critical for the team. Tough Decision on this one.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
You really can’t convert next years base salary to a bonus. It’s the last year of his contract and would only have dummy years left to spread the pro rated cap hits out.

He either plays next year at a 23 million cap hit, signs an extension or they cut him.
Actually they dont have to do anything, if he doesnt play then they dont owe him any money AND still own his rights.

Jarntt

Reaction score
DON'T GET YOUR UNDEROOS IN A WAD. Are you his agent or something? You folks sometimes are out of your bloody minds. Why should Jerry make it rain for a 33 year old GUARD that might have 2-3 years left of football? Thats a nasty fact. He has 2 years left on his deal. Guard isn't very hard to find. My angle is 1 of fact and I truly am asking if Zack maybe just wants 2 skip training camp altogether because his heart might not be in it. It does happen. People get burned out. I aint questioning his work ethic and talent level. I question his thought process and timing. Its a bit weird. I mean 0 disrespect to his accomplishments.
Clearly there is only one person getting their panties twisted if you read the thread. You literally accused him of not liking football any more. Come on dude. At least be rational

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree. That money has already been budgeted for the young players that need to be paid now or soon
The budget already accounts for 30MM+ in cap hits for Martin.

So again all this talk about how we have to hold firm on Martin or we can’t afford the other guys is total BS.

Sydla

Reaction score
Actually they dont have to do anything, if he doesnt play then they dont owe him any money AND still own his rights.
Well no, they still have to account for his cap hit whether he plays or not.

Sydla

Reaction score
Says who?
Says anyone who understands the cap.

Again, people are acting like signing Martin somehow makes our cap explode. Do people realize he’s already on the books next year at a massive cap hit and there are dummy years after next year?

Jerry is mounting a PR campaign to make Martin look like the bad guy here when he says he can’t pay Martin because of the other guys.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Says anyone who understands the cap.

Again, people are acting like signing Martin somehow makes our cap explode. Do people realize he’s already on the books next year at a massive cap hit and there are dummy years after next year?

Jerry is mounting a PR campaign to make Martin look like the bad guy here when he says he can’t pay Martin because of the other guys.
Jerry's a snake salesman. lol

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Well no, they still have to account for his cap hit whether he plays or not.
I don't pretend to fully understand the intricacies of how the cap works so correct me if I'm wrong, but how is kicking the can down the road different from overspending on your 1st credit card so you open credit card B to help make the payments on credit card A. Then open credit card C to pay for A & B, etc etc. Meantime, your indebtedness keeps increasing.
Especially when more players want you to kick that can down the road for them as well.

Rayman70

Reaction score
that's actually not the whole story from what i read, he got most of this year all in bonus.... this year is almost fully guaranteed so he should end holdout come in and play, then they can talk about it next offseason, maybe do the same thing convert next year to fully guaranteed. Issue resolved!
I agree totally, especially with the last part. Trying to strong arm the guy that cuts your paycheck is a failure in tactics on his part.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I know Jerry will give in eventually but once again this will emboldened others to do the same if they think thy are not paid according to their talents.

Sydla

Reaction score
I know Jerry will give in eventually but once again this will emboldened others to do the same if they think thy are not paid according to their talents.
The floodgates didn’t open when Elliott held out.

Rayman70

Reaction score
You are all over the map. It’s not a great idea to stretch out the cap but then say Martin will get paid next year.

You realize he has a massive cap hit next year that an extension now could create more cap space next season, right?
yes I realize that.Im just saying any additional money he wants can be hashed out while he is at camp working. They can verbally agree to revisit this later in the year or after the year. The situation will be the same unless Jerry sits on his hands after June 2024 when the big cap hit is fully guaranteed. Thats the real deadline,in 2024. Nothing is gained by Zack handling it like this right now. This is so much unlike Zack. I think his agent is doing this.