Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

coult44

Reaction score
Maybe he wants to skip part of the camp grind, and maybe his agent just wants to plant a seed.
Maybe Jerry is using this as a negotiating tactic. He’s one of the most brilliant businessmen in the history of the world

coult44

Reaction score
Zack Martin is currently averaging $13.5 mil/year. Jerry should offer Martin another $1.5 mil added per year with the incentive to add another $1-$2 mil based on production, plus playoffs. If Martin refuses but instead wants closer to $20 mil/year, Jerry should not cave but instead leave the lesser offer on the table. This shows the rest of the team that Jerry and the Cowboys are willing to budge a little if you are willing to work with the team as well. If Martin refuses and decides to keep sitting out, start finding a trading partner to get at least a 1st and a 3rd round picks for him.
Did you average in his signing bonus?

Adreme

Reaction score
He got payed, he was the top payed guard, he's a few years in and getting older and play is degrading and he wants to be payed again like he was 28 in his prime...sorry, he got it upfront and is paid well, he's on the backside now
His play is "degrading" so much that he was first team all pro last year. That means he was considered the absolute best at his position in the NFL and you think his play is degrading... this is a good way to tell me you know nothing about football without telling me you know nothing about football.

plasticman

Reaction score
If Zack didn't play this season, I project that the overall running game of the Dallas Cowboys would lose an average of a half yard per run.

I think that Zack is so vital to the running game that his abscense would increase the risk of an injury to Tony Pollard.

plasticman

Reaction score
He got payed, he was the top payed guard, he's a few years in and getting older and play is degrading and he wants to be payed again like he was 28 in his prime...sorry, he got it upfront and is paid well, he's on the backside now
His play is degrading?

Zack has been a 1st team All Pro the past two seasons. Where is there a shred of evidence that his play is degrading?

Players are supposed to solemnly abide by their contract when they are having a Hall of fame career, but GM's won't hesitate to cut that player and take away that contract, with the exception of the signing bonus, if the player does not reach a certain level,

mcmvp

Reaction score
No ...... I am not worried about Martin getting paid or not ....... I just hate that these owners cannot just say they don't want to pay them instead of using the salary cap, that they decide what it is, as an excuse.

The owners could triple the salary cap tomorrow if they wanted too ...... yet they act like they are handcuffed by it.

I hate the dishonesty by the owners who are already running a legal monopoly with no overseeing at all.
What would that change? Yes the players would get more…but they would still want more relative to their current situation and pay at a given position. Martin would still be wanting more if he’s being paid less than other OGs…it would just be a larger number.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has Pappy weighed in on this?

Back on the old site he regularly called to cut Martin so we could make sure we could have our great next franchise QB Dak Prescott over the scrub Romo.

I mean, then it was the other way around.

I wonder what the current analysis is?
Telling fairy tales again Mr.Drew?

Anyway, Martin has made a mistake here and I have a feeling he will be eating crow on this one.

Is Martin worth the money.......YES.....should Jerry pay him more.......NO.....

It's irrelevant if Martin plays this season or not as we have had better offline personnel over the past 7 years and still accomplished zero.

Martin would be lucky if he could be traded to a team like the Bengals, Bills etc who just might win him a SB ring at some point.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Skipping Training Camp is its own reward. I hope he finds it worth the $50K/day fine that he's accruing. He's still better than anyone else they can put at RG in the interim.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This GM stance and philosophy sure might have come in handy in past contract negotiations with...(cough)- Lawrence, Smith, Zeke and (cough, cough) Prescott.

jmo
Precisely.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
But I would do it to his face and not in an interview. Keep this stuff behind closed doors.
but it is jerry !! this is why he goes to TC! microphones all over the place.
I thought it was obvious BS to use parsons as a excuse. But jerry has already decided who he wants to extend next. Martin is one of them.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
Thats all good. I'd like to see Zack retire wo his brain all bruised up. Get out now while he can enjoy the rest of his life in comfort.

Jarntt

Reaction score

I’m not a fan of players holding out like this, but Martin doesn’t need late July training camp so I’m not worried. But why can’t Jerry just say nothing? What kind of a jackas5 owner says this? If I’m Martin I definitely get a little pissed off at that comment. I don’t know if it is taken out of context but it sure reads as a slight to me When you say the reason you aren’t paying him is because you want to pay another player and specifically mention that player or allude to your other guys you have to pay as being a priority. Your priorities are your elite super stars and we have 2 and Martin is one of them. Just say nothing for once instead picking one of the best players to ever wear the uniform and who still is one of the best in the league as your time to make a stand.

Last edited:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
BREAKING NEWS: This is hog wash!!!! JERRY WILL CAVE IN AS USUAL, ZACK WILL HAVE THE HIGHEST CONTRACT EVER FOR A RG duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strol

Reaction score
This team sure would be fun if they didn't have the 12th best QB making the 4th most amount of money.

Jarntt

Reaction score
This team sure would be fun if they didn't have the 12th best QB making the 4th most amount of money.
4th most? Where do you get that? He is tied with Daniel Jones and Stafford for 9th most. So they are all 9 thru 11. Very similar to where you rank him at 12

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
He’s one of the most brilliant businessmen in the history of the world
LOL.... drugs are bad, man. Look what the contracts to Dak and Zeke did to the team. Now Zack is demanding a share because he knows, like the rest of the NFL knows, Jerry WILL cave.

Brilliant businessmen don't cave like Jerry does. If selling the brand is what you are considering 'brilliant', then I guess you might be onto something. Otherwise, he's done a schitty job as a GM for far too long. "Brilliant' isn't a word I would use to describe what Jerry has done to the franchise.