Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

Jipper

Reaction score
Fans get rubbed the wrong way whenever players want to get paid. Considering that the owners would cut the players at a moments notice though that is largely inconsequential to me.
He got payed, he was the top payed guard, he's a few years in and getting older and play is degrading and he wants to be payed again like he was 28 in his prime...sorry, he got it upfront and is paid well, he's on the backside now

Jipper

Reaction score
You just assume Martin hasn't been negotiating with the Cowboys in private during the entire offseason - and both parties are now are at an impasse?
Yup, I assume that....and you assume he has...neither one of us can be proven right...

But fact is that Martin got paid as the number 1 guard and is causing a stink now bc he's on the backside of the contract where the team gets some relief...

HabsCowboysOwn

Reaction score
I'm a team first fan so I want him on the field no matter what but if there's a player who deserves a raise on this roster, it's Martin. Also, cut the ''we can't afford to set a precedent'' bs excuse already -- it's too late to worry about that. Elliott and Prescott took care of the whole precedent thing when they bent Jerry over to secure more than their fair share of the pie.

I know the guy's a multimillionaire and set for life, he's not a victim and I won't cry for him. I can understand his frustration though. Must be a tough pill to swallow when you're the best at your position and the glorified bus driver you've been protecting for almost a decade makes 3X more than you, especially when you know how pathetic the whole offense looks when you're not playing.

Jstopper

Reaction score
Jerry's history is that he will cave, eventually. Of course, that's not unique to Jerry. Scrramm/Landry at first said they wouldn't change Dorsett's contract, but eventually did. Jerry refused Emmitt until the Cowboys lost their first two games in 1993 and then caved.

Let Jerry's prize pupil Dak gets smashed a couple of times if Zack isn't on the field at the start of the season and he'll cave.

That's the facts, money is one thing, but losing games trumps that....
The new cba is making that scenario very unlikely. he gets charged 100k for every 2 days he misses of camp and teams no longer get to waive that fee after the player reports. Miss all of training camp and you’re talking almost 3M in money he has to pay. I HIGHLY doubt it

Sydla

Reaction score
He got payed, he was the top payed guard, he's a few years in and getting older and play is degrading and he wants to be payed again like he was 28 in his prime...sorry, he got it upfront and is paid well, he's on the backside now
Degrading?

He was one of the best OGs in football last year and a first team all pro.

Holy ****.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yup, I assume that....and you assume he has...neither one of us can be proven right...

But fact is that Martin got paid as the number 1 guard and is causing a stink now bc he's on the backside of the contract where the team gets some relief...
Team gets relief?

Through restructures. And in the Cowboys restructuring his deal, they have larger dead cap numbers than at signing.

In fact, it probably makes sense to come up with an extension given the dummy years the Cowboys created.

Sydla

Reaction score
Anyone putting credence into Jones BS about having to pay Parsons as some sort of reason to not do anything with Marti is being a fool and doesn’t understand contracts and the cap.

Jones is BSing the fans invoking Parsons to get the fans on his side.

Gaede

Reaction score
Was there ever a day when players took less to leave money to pay others. Everybody wants to get paid. We see brady take less but it didn’t spread through the NFL.
Do you think the owner sacrifices his profitability for a better team?

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Maybe he wants to skip part of the camp grind, and maybe his agent just wants to plant a seed.
Maybe Zack Martin should plant a seed with his agent. I heard they're fining Zack $50K per missed TC day, maybe Zack should charge that fine to his agent! It's easy for his agent to talk hold out as long as it's Zack who pays the fine.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Has Pappy weighed in on this?

Back on the old site he regularly called to cut Martin so we could make sure we could have our great next franchise QB Dak Prescott over the scrub Romo.

I mean, then it was the other way around.

I wonder what the current analysis is?

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Was there ever a day when players took less to leave money to pay others. Everybody wants to get paid. We see brady take less but it didn’t spread through the NFL.
"Everybody wants to get paid" and I can't blame 'em for that, but these days "wants to get paid" usually turns into extreme personal greed at the expense of one's team mates.

ESisback

Reaction score
Has Pappy weighed in on this?

Back on the old site he regularly called to cut Martin so we could make sure we could have our great next franchise QB Dak Prescott over the scrub Romo.

I mean, then it was the other way around.

I wonder what the current analysis is?
1)I don’t care what Pappy thinks.
2)I don’t care what Pappy thinks.
3)I don’t care what Pappy thinks.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
There was no complaints while being paid as one of the top guards. Yea its not like that no more but that is the contract you sign for the security otherwise sign shorter contracts.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm a team first fan so I want him on the field no matter what but if there's a player who deserves a raise on this roster, it's Martin. Also, cut the ''we can't afford to set a precedent'' bs excuse already -- it's too late to worry about that. Elliott and Prescott took care of the whole precedent thing when they bent Jerry over to secure more than their fair share of the pie.

I know the guy's a multimillionaire and set for life, he's not a victim and I won't cry for him. I can understand his frustration though. Must be a tough pill to swallow when you're the best at your position and the glorified bus driver you've been protecting for almost a decade makes 3X more than you, especially when you know how pathetic the whole offense looks when you're not playing.
What a deceitful post. When Dak got his big contract 2 years ago, even though it was very high, it still wasn't the top #1 overall QB paid contract in the whole NFL the way Zack Martin's big contract was for all Guards in 2018. Dak's big contract in 2021 moved him up to #3 behind Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen. When Zack Martin got his big contract in 2018, HE WAS THE HIGHEST EVER PAID GUARD IN NFL HISTORY at the time. Plus, there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in QB pay compared to any Olineman. Everyone knows why.

What a sad attempt to bash Dak to make excuses for Zack Martin's current contract situation.