Jerry on JG and the Eagles

skinsscalper

Reaction score
oh if it isn't the resident jerry nut hugger.
Another indicator that you're, again, clueless. I can't stand Jones' ineptitude any more than anyone else but carry on there, Trial O Tears. You incessantly whine on a DALLAS COWBOYS message board (for literally years) yet play the I wish everyone would boycott the team card. The irony would be funny if it wasn't so wholly rapt in stupidity.

Again, lead the way and disappear. Or travel to California for another training camp. Whatevs.

Zordon

Reaction score
Another indicator that you're, again, clueless. I can't stand Jones' ineptitude any more than anyone else but carry on there, Trial O Tears. You incessantly whine on a DALLAS COWBOYS message board (for literally years) yet play the I wish everyone would boycott the team card. The irony would be funny if it wasn't so wholly rapt in stupidity.

Again, lead the way and disappear. Or travel to California for another training camp. Whatevs.
You might get your wish if they get rid of Dez. No idea why the slight mention of a boycott sends you into ***** mode. Jerry has shown he won't change unless his stadium and its attendance is affected.

pansophy

Reaction score
Unlike many members of Cowboys Nation who are having a hard time stomaching the Eagles making it to the Super Bowl, Jones said he was impressed with Philly’s ability to win despite the injuries they sustained, including their starting quarterback Carson Wentz. “I’m impressed to understand the challenge it is to adjust and come up with a different way to use different personnel and win the games,” Jones said. “They did it and it’s worthy of recognition. I don’t want to get into favorites, but I’m really proud that we have an NFC East team in there. That does make the difference. We’ve played them twice and know what kind of defense they’ve got. I wish them well.”

And addressing Jason Garrett’s status, Jones was asked if his head coach is on the “hot seat” after a 9-7 season and missing the playoffs for the fifth time as a full-time head coach. Jones understood the question, but didn’t exactly agree. “He’s not on my hot seat,” he said. Jones reminded the group that Garrett isn’t far removed from the NFL Coach of the Year after the 2016 season and said he hopes Garrett can win that again next year, knowing what kind of team success that would signify.

Why didn't the media ask this followup question: Pederson in his 2nd season made it to the Super Bowl with injuries to key players. JG in 2016 with a fully healthy team couldn't even win one playoff game. How is JG winning Coach of the Year relevant when he couldn't even win one playoff game as the number one seed with a healthy team?

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/01/23/jerry-addresses-many-hot-topics-dez-coaches-garrett’s-“hot-seat”
Because Jones would then have to answer that he puts all of his money into starters, many high-risk-reward players, and so when those players don't work out because of injury or off field issues there isn't much behind them to fill in.

Case in point, look at what happened when Tyrone Smith went out or our defensive numbers when Sean Lee is in versus out.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
You might get your wish if they get rid of Dez. No idea why the slight mention of a boycott sends you into ***** mode. Jerry has shown he won't change unless his stadium and its attendance is affected.
The mention of a boycott does, literally nothing to me. And the irony of you talking abut someone else being in ***** mode is laughable since it's the entire basis of your existence here, champ. And, for the record, Jerry has never changed regardless of the attendance at his stadium. Just another indicator that you either don't have a clue or are engulfed in willful ignorance. Considering the source, I'm certain that the entire board will be shocked by the revelation, either way.

The damned thing of it all is that I love Dez. But with this new tidbit of information, maybe it's worth it to let him walk. The whiny ***** factor on this board would go down at least a couple of percentage points.

Zordon

Reaction score
The mention of a boycott does, literally nothing to me. And the irony of you talking abut someone else being in ***** mode is laughable since it's the entire basis of your existence here, champ. And, for the record, Jerry has never changed regardless of the attendance at his stadium. Just another indicator that you either don't have a clue or are engulfed in willful ignorance. Considering the source, I'm certain that the entire board will be shocked by the revelation, either way.

The damned thing of it all is that I love Dez. But with this new tidbit of information, maybe it's worth it to let him walk. The whiny ***** factor on this board would go down at least a couple of percentage points.
You could always put me on ignore and instantly have your safe space away from Zordon posting.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unlike many members of Cowboys Nation who are having a hard time stomaching the Eagles making it to the Super Bowl, Jones said he was impressed with Philly’s ability to win despite the injuries they sustained, including their starting quarterback Carson Wentz. “I’m impressed to understand the challenge it is to adjust and come up with a different way to use different personnel and win the games,” Jones said. “They did it and it’s worthy of recognition. I don’t want to get into favorites, but I’m really proud that we have an NFC East team in there. That does make the difference. We’ve played them twice and know what kind of defense they’ve got. I wish them well.”

And addressing Jason Garrett’s status, Jones was asked if his head coach is on the “hot seat” after a 9-7 season and missing the playoffs for the fifth time as a full-time head coach. Jones understood the question, but didn’t exactly agree. “He’s not on my hot seat,” he said. Jones reminded the group that Garrett isn’t far removed from the NFL Coach of the Year after the 2016 season and said he hopes Garrett can win that again next year, knowing what kind of team success that would signify.

Why didn't the media ask this followup question: Pederson in his 2nd season made it to the Super Bowl with injuries to key players. JG in 2016 with a fully healthy team couldn't even win one playoff game. How is JG winning Coach of the Year relevant when he couldn't even win one playoff game as the number one seed with a healthy team?

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/01/23/jerry-addresses-many-hot-topics-dez-coaches-garrett’s-“hot-seat”

My theory is that the sportswriters who vote on these awards hail mostly from the east coast and hate the cowboys. By giving out an occasional award to Jerry and garret, they are investing in the continued mediocrity of the franchise. Jerry thinks that COY award is vindication of his continued confidence in Garret..........heck with the actual playoff record........and the writers laugh.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
My theory is that the sportswriters who vote on these awards hail mostly from the east coast and hate the cowboys. By giving out an occasional award to Jerry and garret, they are investing in the continued mediocrity of the franchise. Jerry thinks that COY award is vindication of his continued confidence in Garret..........heck with the actual playoff record........and the writers laugh.

Kinda like Booger's HOF induction. Threw ol' JJ a bone and his head became more swollen!

All those East Coast inner circle owners laughed too.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
we had everybody hurt on the offensive line [actually one guy] and the whole defense was hurt [one guy].

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I'd be more excited about that if I had confidence in the old man who will hire his replacement. People here will spend hours going on about young, rising coordinators until Jerry announces he's resurrected someone like Barry Switzer.
:hammer:

Sydla

Reaction score

They cling to that COY award like it's a free ticket from Peter into heaven.

aria

Reaction score
I actually get this. It's similar to how I felt when OU made the final 4, even though I am not an OU fan, but a Big 12 fan and wanted someone familiar to get in.

I also kind of saw that as a dog to JG about how they could overcome injuries and adjust. The "adjust" statement was the key word. We didn't do that.

On another note I found the offensive scheming intriguing. Do you think they are working on 8 yard button hooks, or 10? ;)
With you on OU 100%.

I would normally feel the same but I’m torn. I hate the Pats and think they’re very talented but have also benefited tremendously from being in the worst division for several years. I couldn’t care less how many SB’s Philly have or don’t have, just like I’m proud of the 3 SB’s the Cowboys have but that’s history. I don’t live in an eternal 90’s bubble trying to fill the void of misery over the past 20 years.

It would be great to see any NFCE team represent and win the SB but, but......I can’t stand their fans. I get passion and appreciate it, I even quietly liked a very few things some Eagles fans did to show their passion but after seeing videos all over the Internet for the past two weeks I’m disgusted. As arrogant as Pats fans are, I would rather see them win again.

I honestly think it would be cool to see Foles and the Iggles beat Brady and the Pats. A second year coach taking down the Hoodie and his two coordinators before they leave. Possibly the end of an era but.....screw the Eagles fans, I want them to live in misery.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I disagree with you when you say that “Jerry has never changed regardless of attendance”.

As evidence that he does pay attention to those things and does change, remember after the 3 straight disaster seasons of 2000-2002? Knowing he would need public support to build his new “stayjum”, Jerry changed his usual practice of hiring weaker HCs and brought in the Big Tuna. A definite change for Jerry since Jimmy left, and although temporary, it did bring some changes that were based on fan/public perception.

A few years later, after several drafting disasters, Jerry knew he needed to upgrade the scouting/player personnel dept so he hired Will McClay and gave more power to Stephen as well.

Look, I’m certainly no fan of Jerry as GM. He has the job because of his bank account- not his skill as a “football guy”. 31 other teams would never hire him to build their roster. But despite his “emperors clothes” state of mind, he has shown that fans can get his attention through declining attendance or other upheavals. He’s a stubborn, and at times foolish man. But he’s not an idiot when it comes to his product. Fan reactions matter to Jerry to some degree.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I disagree with you when you say that “Jerry has never changed regardless of attendance”.

As evidence that he does pay attention to those things and does change, remember after the 3 straight disaster seasons of 2000-2002? Knowing he would need public support to build his new “stayjum”, Jerry changed his usual practice of hiring weaker HCs and brought in the Big Tuna. A definite change for Jerry since Jimmy left, and although temporary, it did bring some changes that were based on fan/public perception.

A few years later, after several drafting disasters, Jerry knew he needed to upgrade the scouting/player personnel dept so he hired Will McClay and gave more power to Stephen as well.

Look, I’m certainly no fan of Jerry as GM. He has the job because of his bank account- not his skill as a “football guy”. 31 other teams would never hire him to build their roster. But despite his “emperors clothes” state of mind, he has shown that fans can get his attention through declining attendance or other upheavals. He’s a stubborn, and at times foolish man. But he’s not an idiot when it comes to his product. Fan reactions matter to Jerry to some degree.
Jerry hired Bill to get his new stadium it had nothing to do with attendance. He needed public (read political) muscle to get the deal done. Bill Parcells was a big part of that. But it was never related to current attendance. Even when the Cowboys were awful during those Campo years they were still in the top 5 of merchandise sales. It was about FUTURE attendance. Jerry was also willing to extend Parcells contract beyond the approval of a new stadium and site. Bill didn't have it in him anymore. The death of his brother played as much of a role in that as anything. Hiring Bill Parcells also had a positive effect on the roster and win percentage which Jones (regardless of what anyone wants to think) certainly relished in. Short of hiring Bellicheck, himself, it was the best hire that the guy could make at the time. It wasn't ALL about a stadium.

As to Will McClay, he was brought up when it was realized that a suitable replacement for Jeff Ireland was not found (mainly due to the fact that the coaches and scouts had little to no communication about what type of players the coaches actually coveted in the post Ireland regime). It was McClay that re-organized the scouting process thus bringing a more concerted effort between the two groups. McClay is no slouch in the scouting process, himself, and was the extra voice in the room when Jerry was talked out of Manziel and into Martin (who became an All-Pro in his rookie season). Hitting on some later round picks like Hitchens and UDFA (Barry Church) validated his work and thus giving him a stronger voice in the War Room. The fact that Stephen Jones attached McClay to his hip is what has helped Stephen gain more footing in the personnel department (as you alluded to). Stephen has always been involved in player acquisition, though. He and Jerry (famously) almost went to physical blows over the Deion Sanders deal.

Jones HAS adjusted his roster building philosophies over the past few years (mainly due to solid drafting) and has been rather silent in FA (relatively speaking) since the underwhelming Brandon Carr deal. Stephen has also had a pretty heavy hand in that department. I'm hoping that the team finds a happy medium in that regard and actually brings an impact player or two in FA but it is Jerry Jones we're talking about here, so I'm not holding my breath. Once he gets on a path (right or wrong) it's like steering the Titanic to change course. Slow and agonizing.