Jerry said he would pay anything for another SB so why not Hopkins?

Mannix

Reaction score
There are going to be a lot of Monday morning QB's full of regrets not getting Hopkins, when Cook turns out to be only "good" and Gallup plays like trash.

kskboys

Reaction score
You don't pay old players who are starting to get injured top tier money. Not rocket science.

CCBoy

Reaction score
:lmao::lmao2::laugh: at all those thinking DHop is the missing piece to get us to the SB. But in all other threads many and some the same ones, say we can't there until we get a QB. :huh:
The Cowboys do have a lot of cap space. They also have quite a few expenditures heading their way. Trevon Diggs is entering the final year of his rookie contract, with eyes on a possible extension. Other noteworthy starters like Terence Steele, Jayron Kearse and Tyler Biadasz are also headed for free agency in 2024.

Then, there are the truly big-ticket items. Though he still has two years remaining on his deal, CeeDee Lamb is heading for a major extension. Micah Parsons may be flirting with a record amount of money by the time he is eligible to negotiate one year from now. And of course there is Dak Prescott, who the team has publicly talked about extending beyond his current deal.
https://www.foxsports.com/stories/n...uble-their-cap-space-what-can-they-do-with-it
That is what this fan is concerned about from Jerry.

As to Dallas East's 29 years -

Know something else, I don't think I'm inviting Benedict Arnold for supper even if I'm a Brit...

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Perhaps some of it could still go toward Hopkins or someone like him — provided the cost is to the Cowboys' liking. Dallas has shown a willingness to sign big-name veterans, so long as the price is manageable. In 2020, they acquired Everson Griffen for the low cost of $3 million in guarantees. Just last summer, they brought in Anthony Barr for $2 million. Remember, their trade for Brandin Cooks this spring didn't go through until the Houston Texans agreed to pay one third of his $18 million salary.

The Cowboys are happy to acquire Pro Bowlers at a discount, but history tells us they're not about to be the highest bidders — even if there's money to burn.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/n...uble-their-cap-space-what-can-they-do-with-it

ESisback

Reaction score
When is this team gaining to go all in? Hopkins would do it and we would have the most firepower in the league.
Maybe the Cowboys don’t equate his acquisition with Super Bowl. Of course, they don’t know as much as internet GMs, but…

blueblood70

Reaction score
When is this team gaining to go all in? Hopkins would do it and we would have the most firepower in the league.
LOL let me get this straight, you think dhop is the key, the missing piece to a ring LMAO.

You do realize the last two teams he played for when he was younger and better that he didn't do much for them in the playoffs or the Super bowl.... I mean you think now the Cowboys should overpay for an aging player with a salary cap when we already added to that position. BTW what happened to run more and more effectively now you want to add a 4th WR?

I'm just saying why did not one team secure his services with a low round offer like we got for Cooper or the Texans got for Brandon cooks why didn't they go after Hopkins and don't say it was cause of money because they could have offered A7 or something in that range and then restructured his contract he said he was willing to do that and yet he didn't get one team to offer a trade that would security services instead of bidding for him later when he's a free agent so it's all on Jerry Jones cause he didn't make a move that the rest of the league didn't make either and so far Hopkins is still out there in my humble opinion he needs to go to a team that needs a clear number one or #2 and they don't have a highly paid receiver on the team already we already have a lot of funds allotted to CD lamb on his fifth year option Gallup on his restructured deal and Brandon cooks plus a lot of young guys that can use the rest of those snaps

DeAndre Hopkins has 37 catches for 446 yards and has scored 1 touchdown in 6 games in the playoffs in his career. so hes good for 6 catches 74 yards and basically no tds in big games..now hes older..not sayign hes not good but making a move for him somehow changes the Cowboys future. If we didnt already make all those other moves this offseason to our WR group, sure id take him, too late..sorry hes not the answer.. maybe a LG, a kicker, or a position we aren't loaded at.

Same with Dalvin NO way we already have too much money at RB. Cook would be nice but we gave TP 10mil guaranteed, dead cap with zeke =6mil, have jones and others.

i mean these head in the clouds ideas for aging expensive vets at positions we already filled are just that , major league fantasy football fan dreams.

rambo2

Reaction score
There are going to be a lot of Monday morning QB's full of regrets not getting Hopkins, when Cook turns out to be only "good" and Gallup plays like trash.
So, that's your prediction. Is that what is going to happen.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Jerry said he would pay anything for another SB​

Any particular reason you might believe this?
Right. Who believes this??

It’s very clear that winning another SB is not a top priority for this dysfunctional ownership.

Mannix

Reaction score
Maybe the Cowboys don’t equate his acquisition with Super Bowl. Of course, they don’t know as much as internet GMs, but…
We know one thing for sure...Howie Roseman laps Booger every year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You can't buy greatness, and Jerry doesn't know how to earn it.
That doesn't require an Einstein or blame blabbering excuse. A Championship requires opportunity meeting preparation...

and this was just two posts above your post:

Perhaps some of it could still go toward Hopkins or someone like him — provided the cost is to the Cowboys' liking. Dallas has shown a willingness to sign big-name veterans, so long as the price is manageable. In 2020, they acquired Everson Griffen for the low cost of $3 million in guarantees. Just last summer, they brought in Anthony Barr for $2 million. Remember, their trade for Brandin Cooks this spring didn't go through until the Houston Texans agreed to pay one third of his $18 million salary.

The Cowboys are happy to acquire Pro Bowlers at a discount, but history tells us they're not about to be the highest bidders — even if there's money to burn.

Adreme

Reaction score
I agree but at the end of the day if you sign Hopkins you are paying your number 4 WR 14m per year. That seems a little like an overinvestment in one position. The interior OLine is still weak overall. The TE position is not in a great place. Your RB room is Pollard with no one to go between the tackles or pass block. Those are just the offensive issues so going more in on WR seems like a questionable call at best.

conner01

Reaction score
Hopkins isn’t a guy that’s gonna put you over the top to win a Super Bowl

conner01

Reaction score

Jerry said he would pay anything for another SB​

Any particular reason you might believe this?
I don’t doubt he would
It’s not possible to do though so I imagine every owner would if it was actually possible

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Adding an aging high-priced receiver isn’t going to push the Cowboys over the top. Had we kept Amari Cooper we wouldn’t be having these discussions about receivers. We weakened ourselves by trading him, and it affected Dak’s performance last season. Trading for Cooks pretty much puts Hopkins out of the equation. I feel better about our WRs now than I did last year at this time. CeeDee established himself as a number one receiver. Gallup should be better this season and we have Cooks. There’s other areas of the team that are much bigger concerns.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I still want the 1977 Cowboys back just for one season...

rambo2

Reaction score
Right. Who believes this??

It’s very clear that winning another SB is not a top priority for this dysfunctional ownership.
Lol, what do you think they are trying to do? They are currently the 3rd favorite in the NFC. Did that happen by accident? A dysfunctional ownership that won 13 games last year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Buying a Championship right now, for me, would expand like this:

What an acquiring team would owe Dalvin Cook: 2023: $10.4M salary, $100K workout bonus, $500K LTBE playing-time incentive, $11M cap hit
2024: $11.9M salary, $100K bonus, $500K incentive, $12.5M cap hit
2025: $13.9M salary, $100K bonus, $500K incentive, $14.5M cap hit
9:52 AM · May 31, 2023
https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/20...rade-based-on-his-contract-minnesota-vikings/

It would then be reasonable to let Pollard go next season with the running back position fully covered for about 3 seasons at Pollards approximate cost for this tagged season.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Nice statement by Jerry, but it's not a matter of writing the check like in the pre-cap days.

Besides, I seriously doubt Jerry would just pay for another SB, even if he could. Jerry has a gigantic ego, he wants to WIN another SB, by HIS "wheeling and dealing", drafting/trading/signing free agents, etc. "Writing a check" wouldn't give him the ego boost he craves.

If anyone disagrees, just watch Jerry fighting Switzer over the Super Bowl XXX trophy, lol. Jerry was so proud his "there's 500 coaches..." quote came true (sort of)....

Mannix

Reaction score
I agree but at the end of the day if you sign Hopkins you are paying your number 4 WR 14m per year. That seems a little like an overinvestment in one position. The interior OLine is still weak overall. The TE position is not in a great place. Your RB room is Pollard with no one to go between the tackles or pass block. Those are just the offensive issues so going more in on WR seems like a questionable call at best.
I agree with most of this...but if Booger wasn't getting played every draft, we would have our stud TE instead of 4 serviceable ones.