Jerry said he would pay anything for another SB so why not Hopkins?

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Lol, what do you think they are trying to do? They are currently the 3rd favorite in the NFC. Did that happen by accident? A dysfunctional ownership that won 13 games last year.
This team hasn't been to a nfc championship in 28 years. Dallas is in with maybe 2 other teams that hasn't been able to get there. That is what most people would call dysfunctional ownership, wouldn't you say!

rambo2

Reaction score
This team hasn't been to a nfc championship in 28 years. Dallas is in with maybe 2 other teams that hasn't been able to get there. That is what most people would call dysfunctional ownership, wouldn't you say!
No, I wouldn't. Not when they are currently one of the best teams in the league.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Jerry was just flapping his lips..... that's like saying you would pay anything for a purse for the wife and then walk into a Louis Vuitton store....ooops......best he stays looking at thrift shops, previously owned, and blue light specials for what he wants to pay..

If he signs a big name star, they are usually already washed up and wanting to get a last payout before Cabo.

rambo2

Reaction score
Jerry was just flapping his lips..... that's like saying you would pay anything for a purse for the wife and then walk into a Louis Vuitton store....ooops......best he stays looking at thrift shops, previously owned, and blue light specials for what he wants to pay..

If he signs a big name star, they are usually already washed up and wanting to get a last payout before Cabo.
It sucks to have a 13 win team.

Sheepherder

Reaction score

If he signs a big name star, they are usually already washed up and wan

Vince Lombardi once said," Winning isn't everything, it is the only thing. Who the heck wants to go to the playoffs and lose in the first round.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It does if we can’t win our division and have to be on the road in the playoffs.

I think it’s time for the NFL to seed by record not division winners. Like the NBA adopted a few years ago.

rambo2

Reaction score
Vince Lombardi once said," Winning isn't everything, it is the only thing. Who the heck wants to go to the playoffs and lose in the first round.
They don't want to lose in the 1st round.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That was also in a time when there was only one playoff game . There was two divisions in NFL and the winners played for NFL title like Cowboys did in 1966.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hopefully, they have a little good luck this year and get the number 1 spot.
What suks is we could have 2nd best record and team and have the 5th seed.

We really need to be lobbying for change in NFL playoff rules .

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
WR is maybe the last position I would pay top dollar on a free agent.

Obviously you need talent and intangibles at the position but when it comes to paying top dollar for an aging vet, your money/cap is much better spent in other areas.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Nice statement by Jerry, but it's not a matter of writing the check like in the pre-cap days.

Besides, I seriously doubt Jerry would just pay for another SB, even if he could. Jerry has a gigantic ego, he wants to WIN another SB, by HIS "wheeling and dealing", drafting/trading/signing free agents, etc. "Writing a check" wouldn't give him the ego boost he craves.

If anyone disagrees, just watch Jerry fighting Switzer over the Super Bowl XXX trophy, lol. Jerry was so proud his "there's 500 coaches..." quote came true (sort of)....
Exactly. I believe Jerry wants a SB more than anything else... he knows his legacy as a "football man" will be tarnished without one. He needs to be involved, though. It won't be his if he steps away and hires someone else to run the show.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Exactly. I believe Jerry wants a SB more than anything else... he knows his legacy as a "football man" will be tarnished without one. He needs to be involved, though. It won't be his if he steps away and hires someone else to run the show.
And that’s exactly why it’s a conflict of interest for our owner. He wants to win badly but not enough to get out of the way .

In other words he’s not willing to do everything in his power to win .

It’s just another reminder why he let back to back SB HC Jimmy Johnson go because winning championships wasn’t enough unless he received more credit .

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
And that’s exactly why it’s a conflict of interest for our owner. He wants to win badly but not enough to get out of the way .

In other words he’s not willing to do everything in his power to win .

It’s just another reminder why he let back to back SB HC Jimmy Johnson go because winning championships wasn’t enough unless he received more credit .
Yes.
His legacy/ego is priority #1.
A SB is just the last hurdle to achieve his primary goal.

He can't accomplish one without the other.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes.
His legacy/ego is priority #1.
A SB is just the last hurdle to achieve his primary goal.

He can't accomplish one without the other.
It’s why I’m often conflicted . While I cheer us on to another SB , I do find some comfort knowing he’s unable to pad his ego.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Super Bowl Winners' Seeds for Teams Not Securing their Conference's Top Playoff Slot

2002: #2 Seed, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (12-4)
2004: #2 Seed, New England Patriots (14-2)
2005: #6 Seed, Pittsburgh Steelers (11-5)
2006: #3 Seed, Indianapolis Colts (12-4)
2007: #5 Seed, New York Giants (10-6)
2008: #2 Seed, Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4)
2010: #6 Seed, Green Bay Packers (10-6)
2011: #4 Seed, New York Giants (9-7)
2012: #4 Seed, Baltimore Ravens (10-6)
2018: #2 Seed, New England Patriots (11-5)
2019: #2 Seed, Kansas City Chiefs (12-4)
2020: #5 Seed, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (11-5)
2021: #4 Seed, Los Angeles Rams (12-5)

What suks is we could have 2nd best record and team and have the 5th seed.

We really need to be lobbying for change in NFL playoff rules .
What sucks is the team not getting the number one seed in the NFC and not having the necessary focus, tenacity and effort to overcome that secondary goal. I say secondary because every playoff capable team desires their conference's top playoff seed but the ultimate goal is winning the whole thing. The 2023 Dallas Cowboys can be 'that' team if their combined will, performance and fortitude matches what is necessary to get the singular most important job done.

We, the fans, can disagree with how the league set up playoff seeding. Personally, I want this team, from practice squad player to Jerry Jones himself, to have the meanest, toughest, Eye of the Tiger amongst all 32 clubs this season. That demeanor has not been seen in Big D since Super Bowl XXX, despite two teams landing number one seeds in 2007 and 2016 since then.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Super Bowl Winners' Seeds for Teams Not Securing their Conference's Top Playoff Slot

2002: #2 Seed, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (12-4)
2004: #2 Seed, New England Patriots (14-2)
2005: #6 Seed, Pittsburgh Steelers (11-5)
2006: #3 Seed, Indianapolis Colts (12-4)
2007: #5 Seed, New York Giants (10-6)
2008: #2 Seed, Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4)
2010: #6 Seed, Green Bay Packers (10-6)
2011: #4 Seed, New York Giants (9-7)
2012: #4 Seed, Baltimore Ravens (10-6)
2018: #2 Seed, New England Patriots (11-5)
2019: #2 Seed, Kansas City Chiefs (12-4)
2020: #5 Seed, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (11-5)
2021: #4 Seed, Los Angeles Rams (12-5)

What sucks is the team not getting the number one seed in the NFC and not having the necessary focus, tenacity and effort to overcome that secondary goal. I say secondary because every playoff capable team desires their conference's top playoff seed but the ultimate goal is winning the whole thing. The 2023 Dallas Cowboys can be 'that' team if their combined will, performance and fortitude matches what is necessary to get the singular most important job done.

We, the fans, can disagree with how the league set up playoff seeding. Personally, I want this team, from practice squad player to Jerry Jones himself, to have the meanest, toughest, Eye of the Tiger amongst all 32 clubs this season. That demeanor has not been seen in Big D since Super Bowl XXX, despite two teams landing number one seeds in 2007 and 2016 since then.
Only one 5th seed. The hapless 2007 Jints that we should have beaten with home field .

I think the bigger point here is ( which your excellent stats present) only 3 seeds lower than 4th which would have had playoffs entirely on the road win Super Bowl which means it’s extremely long odds if you don’t win your division .

And why I’d argue the NFL needs to move to seedings based on records not division titles.