Jerry statement on retaining McCarthy

Rayman70

Reaction score
we the fans are in purgatory, and we do have 1 way out. Change teams. For the rest of the year, I am a Dan Campbell and Lions fan. Maybe next year too.

Surfguy

Reaction score
“I really think we got a shot next time.”

giphy.gif

Rayman70

Reaction score
Im guessing Belichick turned him down so he went with plan B.
Jerry never made the call. Because Jerry likes the echo chamber he has created. See, when Jerry breaks wind in public, and one of his cohorts is standing near, they will tell him it smells like yellow roses in Texas. Then Jerry will try to market it. Last thing on his mind is a SB.

Verdict

Reaction score
Couple of thoughts:

1. This is what I thought would happen. I’m torn on whether it’s a good thing or not in a vacuum. I guess it depends on how you look at it.

2. The worst part about bringing back is that it is at least an indicator that Jerry is still committed to Dak.

3. The Cowboys commitment to Dak is one sided. Dak has shown himself to be a me first player in terms of salary, while pretty much taking a dump in the bed in terms of performance.

4. My guess is that the team will bring back Dak for at least one more year. That’s a bit hard to swallow, but what would he even worse would be a huge financial commitment to Dak in spite of Dak’s clearly poor playoff performances.

5. If the Cowboys bring back Dak it’s time to make a significant investment in competition for Dak that will push Dak this year.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Jerry is Hollywood. It makes him money. What would change his mind? He is a stubborn delusional jackass. Always has been, always will be. Hes a jackass with money that got really lucky when he was able to get Jimmy here to save him from himself. I am confident Jerry would have ruined this franchise in 1989 after he bought it, had he not hit paydirt with Jimmy. Now we have an owner that is protecting his investment/nestegg/legacy. Winning you say? Well...in his eyes winning takes on many forms. When he checks his bank account/ Ledger every morning, he IS winning. Wildcat Jerry is long gone and buried. He said it in the press statement. He feels this roster, as currently constructed, is a SB roster. Despite what his lying eyes witnessed last week!!
Yep. In '89 his other top options were Barry Switzer and Lou Holtz. If he had gone with either of them we'd still be looking back at '77 for our last Super Bowl win.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yep. In '89 his other top options were Barry Switzer and Lou Holtz. If he had gone with either of them we'd still be looking back at '77 for our last Super Bowl win.
absolutely right. I highly doubt we win or even get to a SB if Jimmy is not here. MAYBE Lou could have figured it out. But Barry? Hell nah.

MikeT22

Reaction score
absolutely right. I highly doubt we win or even get to a SB if Jimmy is not here. MAYBE Lou could have figured it out. But Barry? Hell nah.
Neither of those would've built that team or coaching staff like Jimmy did. Holtz actually had a chance with the Jets in the late 70's and flamed out quick.

Sydla

Reaction score
1 more year of McCarthy won't kill anyone. He's got several months to make better personnel coaching changes.
It's a wasted season. Just like he later admitted he probably should have dumped Garrett sooner. He threw away that last season with Garrett as well.

And chuckles at thinking this offseason will then be different than past ones. They are gonna tinker around the edges because they don't and can't spend in FA. They'll brag about how the draft filled their needs, etc. It's been the same thing for years.

If people are OK with McCarthy coming back because they think this offseason will result in a better roster with more holes filled, LOL. Good luck with that.

ArbynTX

Reaction score
we the fans are in purgatory, and we do have 1 way out. Change teams. For the rest of the year, I am a Dan Campbell and Lions fan. Maybe next year too.
I‘m a Dallas transplant to Atlanta so I guess I‘m pulling for the Falcons. Oh…wait…

Steve007

Reaction score

Statement Jerry Jones:

“I believe this team is very close and capable of achieving our ultimate goals and the best step forward for us will be with Mike McCarthy as our head coach. There is great benefit to continuing the team’s progress under Mike’s leadership as our head coach. Specifically, there are many layers of success that have occurred this season as a result of Mike’s approach to leading the team, both with individual players and with our team collectively. Mike has the highest regular season winning percentage of any head coach in Cowboys history and we will dedicate ourselves, in partnership with him, to translating that into reaching our post season goals. Certainly, Mike’s career has demonstrated post season success at a high level, and we have great confidence that can continue.

"Further, our loss on Sunday is shared by everyone here, not just Coach McCarthy. Our players. Our coaches. Our front office. Myself. There is accountability for our results. I am accountable for our results. The lens we use to view and evaluate Coach McCarthy is holistic. While we’re all disappointed with the result on Sunday and with our playoff record, I am 100 percent supportive of him as our head coach and ability to reach our goals.

“We will start our process of review and decision making regarding everything that impacts our team and roster and, while we’re not going to address specific players and extensions or free agents at this point, it deserves our deepest review and consideration, and it will get it.”

Jerry is OK with 12-5 and one and done. Next year wont be any different.

Sydla

Reaction score
Couple of thoughts:

1. This is what I thought would happen. I’m torn on whether it’s a good thing or not in a vacuum. I guess it depends on how you look at it.

2. The worst part about bringing back is that it is at least an indicator that Jerry is still committed to Dak.

3. The Cowboys commitment to Dak is one sided. Dak has shown himself to be a me first player in terms of salary, while pretty much taking a dump in the bed in terms of performance.

4. My guess is that the team will bring back Dak for at least one more year. That’s a bit hard to swallow, but what would he even worse would be a huge financial commitment to Dak in spite of Dak’s clearly poor playoff performances.

5. If the Cowboys bring back Dak it’s time to make a significant investment in competition for Dak that will push Dak this year.
Again, do people realize that the Cowboys are already $14 million over the cap? If they don't touch Dak's contract then that means cutting some useful players and finding cheaper, not as good replacements. Also means they might have to restructure some deals they probably won't want to. And even then, that likely results in limited dollars to spend in FA where we clearly have some holes to fill (not that they would spend any money in FA if they had it).

Prepare yourself. Dak is getting extended. I'd be stunned if they let him play out the year on that massive cap hit.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
We should be allowed to curse in response to that statement. I’m floored by how brazen he is in duping people with meaningless statistics and prepared remarks is going to get it done.

“Very close?” THAT LOOKED “CLOSE”???

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It's a wasted season. Just like he later admitted he probably should have dumped Garrett sooner. He threw away that last season with Garrett as well.

And chuckles at thinking this offseason will then be different than past ones. They are gonna tinker around the edges because they don't and can't spend in FA. They'll brag about how the draft filled their needs, etc. It's been the same thing for years.

If people are OK with McCarthy coming back because they think this offseason will result in a better roster with more holes filled, LOL. Good luck with that.
Jerry made his decision based on this...

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/bot...-2-3-year-rebuild.520898/page-2#post-13356667

Rayman70

Reaction score
Guys, what are we doin? Whats Jerry Doin? He has a once in a lifetime opportunity to get the team over the hump because Belichick is available, Harbaugh, Vrabel, Carrol...and ya don't even make the call? WHAT THE BLEEP???!!!! We know things are piss poor bad when the likes of Mike Fisher are going nuts about this same thing. Hes questioning Jerrys motives and basically said we are getting bamboozled. He said word for word, Jerry is being fake as far as holding Mm feet to the fire.

Rayman70

Reaction score
McCarthy and DQ just let a barely above 500 team come in here and boatrace us, embarrass us, and could have laid 70 on us, then you keep the HC???!!! You are rewarding bad coaching Jerry!!!!