Jerry too involved?

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
sonnyboy;2398198 said:
Did I miss something or is this more BS from morons with an agenda?

Yeah. Something like that. What you just said.

yimyammer

Reaction score
loblolly7;2397726 said:
I just have this sinking feeling that Jerry has become too involved in the day to day activities. Anybody else have that concern?:

:bang2:

Since 1994.....

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
88 enough said;2397897 said:
YOUR in denial. THey won 3 SB's cause he didnt think he knew everything about football and let Jimmy make the decisions and run the coaching. PLayers didnt F with Jimmy. Jimmy was a cold and bad mfer. He didnt play with that team. The QB was intense and didnt walk around smiling all the time. A player under Jimmy wouldnt have dared to go cry to JERRY. Jimmy had the authority to cut a player when he wanted. You think Wade can cut a scrub without Jerrys blessing. Did these players walk by the Big Tunas office to cry to Jerry--Nope. But all these other PUPPETS that Jerry puts in there allows them to.
:hammer: Couldn't have said it better myself.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
sonnyboy;2398198 said:
When did Jerry Jones give a halftime pep talk?

Did I miss something or is this more BS from morons with an agenda?

To the best of my knowledge Jerry has on occasion given a POST GAME pep talk and given out a game ball or two.
In fact I remember him giving Wade the game ball for his first win as Cowboy coach.?

Pam Oliver: The most-telling report in the history of sideline reporters?

Barry Horn DMN

I've been playing telephone tag with Ms. Oliver for most of the day. I want to get more of her take on what happened inside the Cowboys locker room at halftime on Sunday. But until we talk, I want to get this in print before the end of my blogging shift.

At the start of the second half up in the booth, Joe Buck and Troy Aikman were schmoozing about Brooks Bollinger's entrance into the game. Aikman suggested that he thought it looked like Bollinger was going to play in the first half "but circumstances changed that."

Down to you Pam.

"...Well Joe I'm not so sure Wade Phillips had his mind made up about his quarterback change because when I walked off the field with him before the half I asked him point blank, 'Are you going to make a change?' He said, 'Right now I just want to think about it a little bit.' But after he got into the locker room, conferred with his coaches and, under the ever-watchful eye of owner Jerry Jones, a decision was made. I walked out with Wade and I asked him "why?" And he said, "It's obvious, no production from Brad Johnson."

Followed Aikman: "Well, if it was that obvious, he should have been able to make a decision before the half."

This report is open to many interpretations. Here's one: Jerry told Wade it was obvious a change had to be made. I'll check back after I talk to Oliver.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2398773 said:
the pep-talk came in the Rams game

bbgun is posting the Brad sit-down, Giant game
Yeah, I was just confused with why he highlighted the peptalk part he was quoting.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2398769 said:
So where does it say he gave a half-time peptalk?

The point is that he was in the locker-room (a.k.a. the coaches' and players' sanctum) during halftime. Whether he opened his mouth or not is irrelevant; he had no business being there. That much should be obvious. Of course, he has no business being on an NFL sideline either, so the fact that he would undermine his coaches by roosting in the halftime locker-room holds little shock value.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2398776 said:
Yeah, I was just confused with why he highlighted the peptalk part he was quoting.

kind of ironic, huh?

I didn't let the bolding confuse me, and just read it

while you...hooked on dese phonics! dir-de-DIR!

Royal Laegotti

Reaction score
I don't know why Jethro just doesn't become head coach! I wouldn't really care for it but I'd respect him alittle more, not using somebody else that was head coach as a scape goat every 2, 3, or 4 years! The buck stops with him anyway,not Phillips, and every player on the team knows it, if they don't then they really are stupid.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Seven;2398655 said:
Try February, 25 1989.......................

I didn't put 89 because I don't believe Jerry thought he knew anything when he first bought the team and was willing to let his coach choose his staff and players. After watching Jimmy and his team win 2 Super Bowls in 5 (or was it 6) years, the success went to his head and he figured the coaching position was over rated, thus the 500 coaches comment.

His ego jarred by Jimmys dissing, set him on a mission to prove to the world that he had as much or moreso to do with their success than Jimmy.

This was in 1994 when Jimmy left and Jerry tookover. My heart was broken in 94' and it's never been the same since.

He managed to win one super bowl but not the respect he so desperately wanted. No one believes Jerry was making personel decisions back then and his cheapness at the time almost cost us when Emmit was holding out.

It took me years to get over Jerrys stupid egomaniacal decision and I finally felt all was forgiven when he brought in Parcells.

I do believe he wants to win as much as I or any fan does and I think he believes he's helping the team, but doesn't grasp the damage his presence causes. Whether deliberate or by accident, he still appears to undermine and under value the coaching position.

To be fair, I do think Bill really screwed him by leaving when he did. Jerry didn't have many good choices when he brought in Wade and I truly believe he made what he felt was in the best interest of the team and not his ego.

I hope he's willing to acknowledge this team needs a strong, respected coach with authority as well as a staff of talented football men that have the authoirty to make decisions without fear of being undermined by their owner and GM.

I think he's learned a lot and could play a wonderful role as a GM if he would work to support his coaches and let them have the authority & final decision making they need to lead and coach their team. Among other things, he also needs to learn and apply the concept that its better to let a player leave a year early than a year late.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
um..... welcome to 1994. (he was overinvolved since '89 but jimmuh kept him in check)

the question mark is really amusing.

loblolly7;2397726 said:
Jerry too involved [size=+2]?[/size]

I just have this sinking feeling that Jerry has become too involved in the day to day activities. Anybody else have that concern?:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bbgun;2398803 said:
The point is that he was in the locker-room (a.k.a. the coaches' and players' sanctum) during halftime. Whether he opened his mouth or not is irrelevant; he had no business being there. That much should be obvious. Of course, he has no business being on an NFL sideline either, so the fact that he would undermine his coaches by roosting in the halftime locker-room holds little shock value.
Gotcha. So his mere presence is a negative.

*puts on tinfoil hat*

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2398805 said:
kind of ironic, huh?

I didn't let the bolding confuse me, and just read it

while you...hooked on dese phonics! dir-de-DIR!
I assumed it was bolded to emphasize it. Silly me.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2398858 said:

Of course. But the list of sins is much longer than that. Playing the role of asst. coach only scratches the surface. BTW, are we continuing with the fiction that he walked all the way to the locker room, only to remain quiet as a church mouse? If that's the case, why make the trip? To observe and take notes? Hi-larious.

Royal Laegotti

Reaction score
theogt;2398858 said:

*puts on tinfoil hat*

Well what's your opinion on Jerry? Do you think he is a problem at all in any way in this team/organization at the present time or ever?

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
its been nearly 20 years since he bought the team and said he would be involved with everything "from socks to jocks ".
it hasnt changed and it wont change.
we can either deal with it or not.
he owns the Cowboys, if he wants to go in at halftime i guess theres not much we can do about it.
except blame him when they stink up the joint like they have been doing !!
works for me.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
loblolly7;2397726 said:

He owns the freaking team, he can do whatever the hell he wants to.

Its been that way since 1989 and it is not going to change anytime soon. So I reccommend that anybody that has a problem with that either find another team to root for or buy the freaking team from Jerry so you can run it the way you want to.

That is really the only two options if you dont like the status quo.