Adult Language Jesse Holley Patrick Crayton episode

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
During his tenor he had one year where the defense ranked in the top 10 for scoring defense. They also ranked below 14 in total defense for five or six of his seasons. Also the defense gave up almost 30 points per game several years.

07,08,09 he had top 10 defense rest were mostly below average if not bad.

Have to search where he ranks now but in the 4th quarter he ranked 9th best ever when he retired.

Td/into ratio ranks in the top 25 range(think Dak is top 10 I believe)

Tied for 7th in ypa all time.

07-15 lead the league in 4th quarter and overtime passer rating.

Ranked 1st in or 2nd in 4th quarter and OT comebacks from 06-14

So from 06-15 Romo was actually the premier 4th quarter quarterback or just behind Rodgers. So his choking point is laughable.

But yes regular season means nothing. We can break down the playoff games if needed which has been done to death by others now.

Romo had many "horrible" teams he had to drag up
Ok I don't recall the Cowboys ever giving up 30 points a game with Romo what years are you referencing?

And no one is faulting Romo for not winning with a poor defense. He had a top defense in 07, 08 and 09? What's the excuse those years?

Creeper

Reaction score
The people who think Romo was a choker simply buy into the trash media talking heads for clicks or look at stats at face value. It's almost the opposite. During his tenor he was the highest rated or near the highest rated quarterbacm depending on year on 4th quarter and overtime qbr. Better then Brady, Rodgers, rivers most years.

Did he have his *** moments in the playoffs...sure but if you look deeper past the stats he wasn't that bad in the playoffs at all. Well except the Vikings game when the entire team got demolished. Should have beat the Packers with that bs call. Nothing else he could do agaisnt the Giants as he can't catch the ball too. We should have beat them by 2 scores. He did enough to win those games

The Romo a choker thing is laughable. Most of them just try to throw out his post season record to compare to Dak for whatever loser reason.
I've told this story before, but a few years ago Roomo was playing in the annual celebrity golf tournament at Lake Tahoe. With two holes to go Romo had I think a 3 point lead (they use a point system not a stroke system). All he had to do was par the last two holes, and not totally screw up and he wins easily. He is on the tee on 17, which is a par 5. He is a big hitter so this is an easy hole to reach in 2 strokes. He bombs his drive in the fairway. He is only a 7 iron from the green. For a scratch golfer a 7 iron is almost money in the bank. He has water on the left, and sand on the right. In other words, there is plenty of room on a par 5 to keep the ball middle of the green or right to avoid the water. Sand is not great but it is not a penalty stroke and a drop either. Again, it is a 7 iron to the green for an Eagle attempt to virtually put the tournament away. What does Romo do? He pulls his 7 iron into the middle of the pond on the left. He bogeys the hole and loses comes in second. I thought at the time, "what a choke!" But my second reaction was, it was a very Romo thing to do.

Creeper

Reaction score
What caught my attention is the 13 Cowboys that made all-pro in 2007. The Cowboys lost to the wild card team after a bye. This teams has been under-achieving since Jimmy left.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo never had a "horrible team". You can argue he didn't have a SB team sure. But horrible is a stretch. Especially if Romo was a top 5 QB like so many claim he is. The way guys make it sound it sounds like people think he's Brock Purdy and needed a stacked team. But at some point if you're truly a top 5 guy don't you have to overcompensate for your teams issues?
I'd say the 32nd-ranked defense (lowest all-time for Cowboys) in 2013 would be considered horrible.
Offensive lines from 2010-2013 were bad too. WAAAAY worse than any we have had from 2014-2023

Romo made his mistakes and was nowhere near perfect, but for 3-4 years there, he played on truly crap teams.
He also had some good teams too. I would've loved to have seen 2014 Romo play with that 2007 Cowboys team. That was his best team at th beginning of his career

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
What caught my attention is the 13 Cowboys that made all-pro in 2007. The Cowboys lost to the wild card team after a bye. This teams has been under-achieving since Jimmy left.
No.... Cowboys never had 13 ALL PRO

If you are referring to that comically weird Pro Bowl that fans voted for in mid-season back then...yes.

ALL PRO is light years harder to make than that silly Pro Bowl

That team DID have 2-3 ALL PROs though... which is still very good.
This year's team had NINE ALL-PROS, just for comparison

But anyway, obviously Romo 2014 was much better than Romo 2007. I mean, clearly.
QBs generally get better once they played a few years in the league
Using 2007 as a gauge of Romo is a bit silly
2015 isn't a good gauge of Dak either, for example.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If you're seriously going to cherry pick 6 years out of over a dozen to support your regular season accolade there's no use trying.
Just off the top of my head I can remember 6 seasons that ended on a stupid attempt. Those games happened.
He started about 8 years...and usually, when you measure a player you measure them after they reached their NFL maturity.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
No.... Cowboys never had 13 ALL PRO

If you are referring to that comically weird Pro Bowl that fans voted for in mid-season back then...yes.

ALL PRO is light years harder to make than that silly Pro Bowl

That team DID have 2-3 ALL PROs though... which is still very good.
This year's team had NINE ALL-PROS, just for comparison

But anyway, obviously Romo 2014 was much better than Romo 2007. I mean, clearly.
QBs generally get better once they played a few years in the league
Using 2007 as a gauge of Romo is a bit silly
2015 isn't a good gauge of Dak either, for example.
Fans are only a 1/3 of voting so 2/3 is players and coaches.

Reactions: JPM

DFWJC

Reaction score
Fans are only a 1/3 of voting so 2/3 is players and coaches.
In 2007?
Plus, the voting was around mid-season for the Pro Bowl back then.
Cowboys were the hot item early in the year and eveyrone that had a pulse was getting a million votes.

NOT saying that was not a great roster. It was.
I certainly wish the older/wiser version of Romo was the QB for them instead of it being his first full season as a starter.

Look, the Pro Bowl can get really silly.
Mitch Trubisky made the Pro Bowl a few years ago, for example.

ALL PRO is an entirely different beast
2 best at a position in entire leage

Wolfpack

Reaction score
I like how they r
Romo bashers are acting like this “not going by the script” is some new revelation, but it’s been discussed as nauseum on this board about how Romo had to call his own stuff when Garrett was stinking up the joint, including at times with Dez. They simply pretend these discussions never happened.

This culture took roots because Jerry Jones hired Garrett and had to prove his decision right. Even with Wade, Jerry was looking to pull the trigger. He didn’t allow Wade to groom Stewart as his DC and forced him to take on play calling, but refused to allow anybody to get in the way of Garrett calling plays. He didn’t allow Wade to bring in Reeves to oversee the offense.
The offense under JG would start slow and sputter until Romo when into the 2minute drill when they got behind. Gameplanning was poor and only when Romo started calling plays in the huddle would things start to move. The flip side is that the team ended up pass happy and running 70% of their plays out of shotgun. Only after SL was brought in did they have a legit running game and a more balanced offense. JG wasted Romo's career while Romo covered up JG's sins for years. I wonder if they are buddies now? haha.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'd say the 32nd-ranked defense (lowest all-time for Cowboys) in 2013 would be considered horrible.
Offensive lines from 2010-2013 were bad too. WAAAAY worse than any we have had from 2014-2023

Romo made his mistakes and was nowhere near perfect, but for 3-4 years there, he played on truly crap teams.
He also had some good teams too. I would've loved to have seen 2014 Romo play with that 2007 Cowboys team. That was his best team at th beginning of his career
Like I said though I don’t fault the guy for not winning a ring in those years we had bad defenses. Never have. But I also don’t think it’s an excuse to just go 8-8 either and not make the playoffs.

I do agree though. 2014 Romo probably beats Giants in 2007. Who know how far they go after that.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Any discussion of choking that involves Patrick Crayton's opinions is a non-starter for me.

He and Holley should be kissing Romo's backside. The one play Holley made was one that Romo drew up for him and executed with a broken lung. And Crayton did squat after being "run out" of Dallas.
So we should dismiss what Crayton says simply because he was a role player and like everyone else made mistakes???? Even if he like you said kisses Romo's backside, how does that make what he's sharing any more valid or not?

The fact is he's sharing what many of us have heard from other players and folks around the team for years. It's good to finally hear someone actually in the locker room at that time give us these stories with some depth. Obviously it's coming from Crayon's point of view but I dont think he unfairly dogged anyone here. If anyone, maybe Garrett but I think the majority of fans agreed he was a snake the whole time.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
The curse started the day Jerry bought the team. Jimmy Johnson just was the magical buffer that kept it from being 34 years without a playoff run....

DFWJC

Reaction score
Like I said though I don’t fault the guy for not winning a ring in those years we had bad defenses. Never have. But I also don’t think it’s an excuse to just go 8-8 either and not make the playoffs.

I do agree though. 2014 Romo probably beats Giants in 2007. Who know how far they go after that.
Honestly though we went 8-8 with 4-12 or 5-11 teams.
But not worth the debate

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The curse started the day Jerry bought the team. Jimmy Johnson just was the magical buffer that kept it from being 34 years without a playoff run....
Jimmy Johnson was the lead shielding and Jerry Jones is the kryptonite of his own franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.