JJT: Arrogant offseason approach has Cowboys at bottom of NFC

silver

Reaction score
I like all the moves we made in the offseason given the information we had at the time.

Revisiting that offseason in December with the benefit of hindsight is asinine.

No it isn't.
Not resigning Dez in the spring was a bad move. Not having a plan at RB was a bad move. Signing Weeden in 2014 and not getting anybody else and counting on the likes of Dustin Vaughan to develop was a bad move. They had all the information they needed at the time and blew it.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
What about low balling Dez?

They should try and reasonably low ball players. Does you know good to sign players for what they want.

Dez broke his foot and came back 6 weeks earlier than expected. So I don't see how 'low balling' Dez was an issue.

And if there was anybody that caused the low balling of Dez, it was scumbags in the media that claimed that there were a tape 'way worse than the Ray Rice tape' out there and other reports that turned out to be nonsense of Dez having problems at his home when he...no longer lived there.

Not exactly a favorable thing to sign a player that the media accuses of being the worst person on earth (even if it's not true).

YR

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I like all the moves we made in the offseason given the information we had at the time.

Revisiting that offseason in December with the benefit of hindsight is asinine.

On the contrary, that's how the process improves--by comparing the expected results against real world results. That's why players spend so much time watching film--good ones, anyway.

silver

Reaction score
They should try and reasonably low ball players. Does you know good to sign players for what they want.

Dez broke his foot and came back 6 weeks earlier than expected. So I don't see how 'low balling' Dez was an issue.

And if there was anybody that caused the low balling of Dez, it was scumbags in the media that claimed that there were a tape 'way worse than the Ray Rice tape' out there and other reports that turned out to be nonsense of Dez having problems at his home when he...no longer lived there.

Not exactly a favorable thing to sign a player that the media accuses of being the worst person on earth (even if it's not true).

YR

They messed with his fragile head and he hasnt been the same since. Yes they blew it by low balling him.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Letting Murray go was not a mistake. It's obvious Murray isn't worth $8M a year. Good move by the brass there.

The mistake was thinking Randle would be a viable replacement. To not draft a RB last year was inexcusable.

I dont neceassirly disagree with letting Murray walk, becuase of the money. But the plan to replace him shouldve been thought out better. I have to beleive, that they really really thought the answer was JRandle/DMC or Dunbar\Williams stepping up to take the position. They passed on CJ. oooops. They passed on some guys in the third round. oooops.

My argument is why? Why take that risk, at this particualr time in Romos career? Do they have another franchise QB that can get us to the Super Bowl and just not letting anybody know about him? Okay fine, you think you have something with the OL and you think you have something with Randle or maybe DMC steps up.......but are you so certain about that, that your willing to roll the dice on it. Its not like we were desperate? We had finally found something that worked , besides letting Romo chuck it 40 odd times a game. We had been successfull with what was in place......; Why ......................change that???? Why mess with it? Why take that gamble , when, I didnt think they had too......

Murray was home grown. Drafted by us. He was ours. How about we keep ours? But I get it, RBs dime a dozen, great OL, money.... I just wouldve rolled the dice with Murray or an expensive replacement. Or, at least drafted one. Thats the gamble I think shouldve been made. Not Randle\DMC. Williams dunbar Cmike, gus johnson....etc etc etc...

I wouldve re-committed to the running game. Romo wouldve been handing balls off so much , untouched, he wouldve got bored during the games.

It worked. It was working.......................?

Wolfpack

Reaction score
I dont neceassirly disagree with letting Murray walk, becuase of the money. But the plan to replace him shouldve been thought out better. I have to beleive, that they really really thought the answer was JRandle/DMC or Dunbar\Williams stepping up to take the position. They passed on CJ. oooops. They passed on some guys in the third round. oooops.

My argument is why? Why take that risk, at this particualr time in Romos career? Do they have another franchise QB that can get us to the Super Bowl and just not letting anybody know about him? Okay fine, you think you have something with the OL and you think you have something with Randle or maybe DMC steps up.......but are you so certain about that, that your willing to roll the dice on it. Its not like we were desperate? We had finally found something that worked , besides letting Romo chuck it 40 odd times a game. We had been successfull with what was in place......; Why ......................change that???? Why mess with it? Why take that gamble , when, I didnt think they had too......

Murray was home grown. Drafted by us. He was ours. How about we keep ours? But I get it, RBs dime a dozen, great OL, money.... I just wouldve rolled the dice with Murray or an expensive replacement. Or, at least drafted one. Thats the gamble I think shouldve been made. Not Randle\DMC. Williams dunbar Cmike, gus johnson....etc etc etc...

I wouldve re-committed to the running game. Romo wouldve been handing balls off so much , untouched, he wouldve got bored during the games.

It worked. It was working.......................?

That is a thoughtful logical approach to the RB position. You have a general strategic goal that you have articulated. Then you follow that with some tactical options that back that up, including a plan B of sorts.

Contrast that with the actually FO approach of arrogance, scotch, indifference, hookers and then finally add in some panic and knee jerk reacting for good measure.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
They messed with his fragile head and he hasnt been the same since. Yes they blew it by low balling him.

I think the media claiming that there is a video that is way worse than the Ray Rice tape, claiming that he was celebrating Ricardo Lockett's injury and claiming that he took his cleats off in protest...all untrue...messed with his head more than anything.

That and having to play with Matt Cassel who can't throw it 30-yards without it being a wounded duck.

YR

Swanny

Reaction score
I am still and always will be GIDDY that we did not sign Murray to another deal.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
This piece would have been worthy of reading if Gene Jock Tailor had written it at the beginning of the season. Any one of us could have written it now.

visionary

Reaction score
I'm already looking forward to 2016 just to wipe the slate clean.

I've got news for you....

Jerry and Stephen and Jason will still be here next year so I laugh at your "clean slate" as I sling mud all over it

visionary

Reaction score
None of them have the guts to do it. The old man will lose his temper and the media will lose their courage to continue any further. I've seen it happen countless times. They don't want to lose their access to the team.

Give me 5 minutes with Jerry and Stephen on ESPN in an open forum and I'll expose them as the complete frauds and the #1 enemy to the Dallas Cowboys that they really are. All of this 20 years, and I mean All. Of. It., has to do with an egotistical maniacal owner who bought this team and has held it hostage to appease his own ego. Until death do they part. Oh, and I have my chubby son waiting in the wings to continue this crime when I'm gone.

Any Cowboys fan with at least half of a functioning brain should hate his existence.

~burp~ Now that that's out of my system. Go Cowboys! Who do you think we should draft this year?

How many times do I have to tell you that the people making real decisions and "building" this team are McClay and Garrett? Jerry is just a figure head

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
What part of we run the ball just about as well as we did last year despite missing Tony for most of the season don't you understand?

I know what I see and that is a joke. When we absolutely want to run the ball down someones throat we can't. How many times did I hear hear Troy talk about how bad we were on 3rd and one this year? The running game has been very inconsistent.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
We might have even been inclined to hand it to Murray.....instead of relying on Romo to win games.

And if we were running the ball like we should have those first 2 games maybe Romo doesn't get hurt. Yea people will blame the qb position but this offense didn't look great when Tony was running it. Very lucky to have won the first two games.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Doubt it. Nothing has changed in 20 years. It's not just all the sudden going to happen.

Not never could. Jerry has been humbled a few times in his life. Hopefully a visit by Christmas past, present and future will soon come upon him to reconcile his stubborn ego.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Not never could. Jerry has been humbled a few times in his life. Hopefully a visit by Christmas past, present and future will soon come upon him to reconcile his stubborn ego.

I actually thought that for a little bit last year. One step forward and 2 steps back always.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Yeah, Murray is so awesome he immediately went to Philly and got benched.

That contract would have been a colossal mistake and would have been compared to the Miles Austin type contracts.

The only mistake this off-season was not spending a 7th on Rawls and not addressing the backup QB position well enough. Period.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Big picture: No coach in the NFL was going to get this team into the playoffs without Tony Romo for 12 games.

Unfortunately, if an organization wants to improve, it can't stay focused on only the big picture. It has to consider all of the elements that make up the big picture. In that way, JJT is right. Mistakes were made in the off-season that prevented this team from reaching its full potential.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
What part of we run the ball just about as well as we did last year despite missing Tony for most of the season don't you understand?

Don't recall us being last in the league on 3rd and 1 last year..............oh wait, that is because we weren't.

And please don't say it is because of our trash QBs, the freaking Cleveland Browns convert more 3rd and 1s than we do.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Big picture: No coach in the NFL was going to get this team into the playoffs without Tony Romo for 12 games.

Unfortunately, if an organization wants to improve, it can't stay focused on only the big picture. It has to consider all of the elements that make up the big picture. In that way, JJT is right. Mistakes were made in the off-season that prevented this team from reaching its full potential.

Big picture: no team in the NFL loses virtually all of their games without their starting QB unless they have bigger problems elsewhere.

Its seems Troy Aikman and Jerry Jones have both come to this conclusion as well given their comments during/after the game.